Chane A.1 and A.2.4

N

noclue

Audioholic
Has anyone had any experience with these speakers the Chane A.1 and A.2.4 they have gotten a lot of good reviews from two other forum's. one guy even liked them better than SVS ultras and Sierra 2's.
I ask because if this is true the cost is way lower for these

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It is all subjective and based on the personal ear and room set-up

No one can speak for your ears -- however you seem to want to try something different over the Sony and Wave Crest, so give them a test run and see if they will work for you.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone had any experience with these speakers the Chane A.1 and A.2.4 they have gotten a lot of good reviews from two other forum's. one guy even liked them better than SVS ultras and Sierra 2's.
I ask because if this is true the cost is way lower for these
I have owned both the SVS Ultras and the Chane A2.4's. Of the two, I preferred the A2.4's to the Ultras. However, the Ultras are also very good. Even owned the JBL 530's that I also liked better than the Ultras. Now, I own the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers, as well as, the Diamond 220's and could not be happier.

Just prefer a more warmer sound signature as my preference is on music. The Wharfies handle vocals very well. Have never heard the Sierra 2's so can not be much help there. I can say though that they are very well received here at Audioholics and/or other forums such as AVS. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Comparing Chane A1.4/2.4s to Sierra2s isn't the comparison I'd make, IMO they're more akin to Ascend's 170SE/340SE. I have Phil's old JBL530s and while nice, not quite as nice as my Sierra-1s (altho mine are the NrT tweeter but don't think that is a significant difference in the comparison). Everyone has different tastes, tho, one way to find out is to compare them with simulatenous 30 day in-home trials so you take the guesswork out of it (but may pay a price in terms of shipping costs with Chane and Ascend, SVS offers free 45 day including round trip shipping).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Years ago I had the Ascend 340 SE's across the front with the 170 SE's in the rear. However, I can easily say that I much preferred the Chane A2.4's across the front. Always thought that the 170's in the rear was way over-kill if you will. Did not use anything in the rear when I owned the A2.4's b/c HT is not my thing anymore.

Make no mistake here, all of these mentioned are very good speakers. As such, the OP would be hard pressed to go wrong selecting any of them inmho. The Ultras, the Chane A2.4's, the JBL 530's, and /or the Ascend 340's/170's are all mighty fine speakers given their respective price points. As mentioned, I have never heard the Sierra 2's or even the the Sierra 1's for that matter. But, I have no doubt that they are stellar given my experience with the 340/170's. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Comparing Chane A1.4/2.4s to Sierra2s isn't the comparison I'd make, IMO they're more akin to Ascend's 170SE/340SE. I have Phil's old JBL530s and while nice, not quite as nice as my Sierra-1s (altho mine are the NrT tweeter but don't think that is a significant difference in the comparison). Everyone has different tastes, tho, one way to find out is to compare them with simulatenous 30 day in-home trials so you take the guesswork out of it (but may pay a price in terms of shipping costs with Chane and Ascend, SVS offers free 45 day including round trip shipping).
Someone on AVS did a comparison on the 340, A2.4 and Sierra-2.

They would place the A2.4 in between the 340SE and the S2.

Let's not forget Dennis Murphy AA monitors

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Someone on AVS did a comparison on the 340, A2.4 and Sierra-2.

They would place the A2.4 in between the 340SE and the S2.

Let's not forget Dennis Murphy AA monitors
Yep, the AA monitors could be in the mix, too. Got a link to the avs thread?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Years ago I had the Ascend 340 SE's across the front with the 170 SE's in the rear. However, I can easily say that I much preferred the Chane A2.4's across the front. Always thought that the 170's in the rear was way over-kill if you will. Did not use anything in the rear when I owned the A2.4's b/c HT is not my thing anymore.

Make no mistake here, all of these mentioned are very good speakers. As such, the OP would be hard pressed to go wrong selecting any of them inmho. The Ultras, the Chane A2.4's, the JBL 530's, and /or the Ascend 340's/170's are all mighty fine speakers given their respective price points. As mentioned, I have never heard the Sierra 2's or even the the Sierra 1's for that matter. But, I have no doubt that they are stellar given my experience with the 340/170's. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I think you and I had different experiences with the Ultras. What made you sell your Chanes?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think you and I had different experiences with the Ultras. What made you sell your Chanes?
My comments regarding the Ultras is not to degrade them in any way. Of course, I am referring to only the Ultra Bookshelfs. Have not owned any other(s) of the Ultra speakers. As to why I sold off my Chanes. Will try to explain as best I can.

On December 24th, 2015 I had what was called a "mild" heart-attack. However, I can certainly say that there was NOTHING mild about it. Lets just say it was a real eye opening experience for me. As such, I began to look at my life differently then ever before.

Decided that it was time for me to start doing some of the things that I have always wanted to do. I had been out of this hobby for over 6-7 years at the time. At first, I just wanted to ease back into things all things audio. However, it wasn't long before I got back in full steam. Hence, one of the things I wanted to do was experience some of the speakers that I have always wanted to. It seemed to be more of a journey if you will.

I came across the opportunity to buy a set of the Ultras used at a very good price. So, I opted for them. Needless to say, I really liked them a lot. Everything from the build quality to the sound. But, I also wanted to experience other speakers that I was looking at.

At that point in time, the Chane A2.4's were not even being sold just yet. Have always liked an MTM design. Hence, my attraction to the A2.4's. Eventually, I was able to order (3) A2.4's across the front. I was very impressed with them whereas the Ultras did not quite "wow" me like the A2.4's did.

All along I have been wanting to head in the direction of going 2-Channel. That is why I have been so curious about tube amps. Music being my preference, I just prefer a more warm sound signature than what the A2.4's were giving me. Now, I have my Denton's and the Diamond 220's and could not be any happier.

I also still have my B&W CM1 S1's that I also love. Both the Wharfies and /or the B&W CM1 S1's are very musical. They (Wharfies) are not necessarily the last word on detail/resolution, but they excel with vocals and are never fatiguing no matter how long my listening session is. This is my subjective opinion. It is okay to have differences inmho.

Your setup is very impressive and I am very happy for you. But, we all hear differently and prefer different things. Not to mention different rooms, music, and etc. For my needs I am very happy with my Wharfies and B&W's. HT is not my thing. Never really has been. But, none of my comments are meant to degrade the Ultras in any way. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My comments regarding the Ultras is not to degrade them in any way. Of course, I am referring to only the Ultra Bookshelfs. Have not owned any other(s) of the Ultra speakers. As to why I sold off my Chanes. Will try to explain as best I can.

On December 24th, 2015 I had what was called a "mild" heart-attack. However, I can certainly say that there was NOTHING mild about it. Lets just say it was a real eye opening experience for me. As such, I began to look at my life differently then ever before.

Decided that it was time for me to start doing some of the things that I have always wanted to do. I had been out of this hobby for over 6-7 years at the time. At first, I just wanted to ease back into things all things audio. However, it wasn't long before I got back in full steam. Hence, one of the things I wanted to do was experience some of the speakers that I have always wanted to. It seemed to be more of a journey if you will.

I came across the opportunity to buy a set of the Ultras used at a very good price. So, I opted for them. Needless to say, I really liked them a lot. Everything from the build quality to the sound. But, I also wanted to experience other speakers that I was looking at.

At that point in time, the Chane A2.4's were not even being sold just yet. Have always liked an MTM design. Hence, my attraction to the A2.4's. Eventually, I was able to order (3) A2.4's across the front. I was very impressed with them whereas the Ultras did not quite "wow" me like the A2.4's did.

All along I have been wanting to head in the direction of going 2-Channel. That is why I have been so curious about tube amps. Music being my preference, I just prefer a more warm sound signature than what the A2.4's were giving me. Now, I have my Denton's and the Diamond 220's and could not be any happier.

I also still have my B&W CM1 S1's that I also love. Both the Wharfies and /or the B&W CM1 S1's are very musical. They (Wharfies) are not necessarily the last word on detail/resolution, but they excel with vocals and are never fatiguing no matter how long my listening session is. This is my subjective opinion. It is okay to have differences inmho.

Your setup is very impressive and I am very happy for you. But, we all hear differently and prefer different things. Not to mention different rooms, music, and etc. For my needs I am very happy with my Wharfies and B&W's. HT is not my thing. Never really has been. But, none of my comments are meant to degrade the Ultras in any way. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Phil
Jeez Phil. I wasn't offended! :D I just know you've bought and sold a lot of speakers just in my short time here. I don't often see much of anything said about the Chanes and was just genuinely curious, that's all, lol.

We've discussed this before, you and I. It's just a matter of personal preference at that point. Both are great speakers (as I've been told. I haven't heard the Chanes so I can't comment), you prefer a warmer sound signature (think, the "English sound") and I prefer more clarity and accuracy. A little on the bright side for some.

It's all good because there's plenty of room and speakers for preferences of all types! Sorry if my post put you on the defense, Phil. :)

*Edit: Very sorry to hear about your heart attack. I'm glad you're back in business now!

N

noclue

Audioholic
Like Speakerman I get ready to buy some new speakers but things at home seem to always take away the money I think i have to spend, IE things break or something else happens.
Currently I have Denon X3300 Wave Crest across the front and sony core for surround a I have a rhythmic F12SE that will be here tomorrow.
The wave Crest I have had for many years probably about the same time they first came out. so that is no more money spent.
I a small room the wave crest sound find and i like them better than the sony core speakers but that is just me .
This thread I linked intrigued me because of the value the A.2.4's compared to some other speakers. I don't care for the cost of returning speakers though. That is the only draw back i can see in trying the A.2.4's. Return cost seems like a waste of money for me but not the seller.

I see so much good things said about RBH speakers too but if i want to try that I will have to save up a lot longer. I am not sure what the return policy is with RBH.

This may sound cheap complaining about return cost but a set of speakers will sound great in one room and then sound poor in another. The avr may not have enough power to make the speakers sound good, thats why I like the Denon I got I can add a amp if needed.
Different AVR's seem to have a different sound, Some may sound brighter the Yamaha 670 i had was one like that. The sub some one has may not be enough to work with the speakers, the size of the room may be too large for the sub and the speakers.
All of these things is why I like no hassle returns. Speakers can get very expensive to return do to the weight and size of them.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Jeez Phil. I wasn't offended! :D I just know you've bought and sold a lot of speakers just in my short time here. I don't often see much of anything said about the Chanes and was just genuinely curious, that's all, lol.

We've discussed this before, you and I. It's just a matter of personal preference at that point. Both are great speakers (as I've been told. I haven't heard the Chanes so I can't comment), you prefer a warmer sound signature (think, the "English sound") and I prefer more clarity and accuracy. A little on the bright side for some.

It's all good because there's plenty of room and speakers for preferences of all types! Sorry if my post put you on the defense, Phil. :)

*Edit: Very sorry to hear about your heart attack. I'm glad you're back in business now!
Guess I did get a little long winded didn't I.....LOL? But, in order to answer your question as to why I sold off my Chanes I had to give you a little back ground first. Maybe I went a little too far......LOL!!! Sure wouldn't be the first time.

One thing that the Ultras got right is the tweeter. In fact, the Ultras have the best rendition of a metal dome tweeter of any that I have ever heard. Very open and airy and quite extended. Nothing harsh or bright to my ears. The Ultras are certainly not forgiven of bad recordings. What you put in is exactly what you get out. No sugar coating it either.

Yes, I prefer a warmer sound signature b/c vocals really shine. No hint of listening fatigue and even bad recordings sound decent. Very laid-back approach and I love it. Even the low end is polite. Nothing wrong with preferring a more neutral sound signature at all. I like it as well. Just prefer some warmth when listening to my music. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Like Speakerman I get ready to buy some new speakers but things at home seem to always take away the money I think i have to spend, IE things break or something else happens.
Currently I have Denon X3300 Wave Crest across the front and sony core for surround a I have a rhythmic F12SE that will be here tomorrow.
The wave Crest I have had for many years probably about the same time they first came out. so that is no more money spent.
I a small room the wave crest sound find and i like them better than the sony core speakers but that is just me .
This thread I linked intrigued me because of the value the A.2.4's compared to some other speakers. I don't care for the cost of returning speakers though. That is the only draw back i can see in trying the A.2.4's. Return cost seems like a waste of money for me but not the seller.

I see so much good things said about RBH speakers too but if i want to try that I will have to save up a lot longer. I am not sure what the return policy is with RBH.

This may sound cheap complaining about return cost but a set of speakers will sound great in one room and then sound poor in another. The avr may not have enough power to make the speakers sound good, thats why I like the Denon I got I can add a amp if needed.
Different AVR's seem to have a different sound, Some may sound brighter the Yamaha 670 i had was one like that. The sub some one has may not be enough to work with the speakers, the size of the room may be too large for the sub and the speakers.
All of these things is why I like no hassle returns. Speakers can get very expensive to return do to the weight and size of them.
There is no doubt in my mind, as well as many others, that the Chane A2.4's punch way out of their respective price range. However, the speakers that you listed in your original post all are good speakers. As Chris mentioned, the A2.4's should be more compared to the Ascend 340 SE's and not the Sierra 2's.

Return shipping is sometimes worth the risk and others not so much. But, in the end is it not better to know than not to know? Life is about taking risks as in moving us out of our comfort zones, right? Otherwise, you will always be asking yourself "what if", no?

Only YOU can decide what works for you. I believe you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the speakers that you are considering. It sounds like to me you have a nice setup already. However, there is nothing wrong in wanting to upgrade/improve upon what you have already.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
N

noclue

Audioholic
Thanks the setup is decent i just feel like i am missing something, not in a huge hurry though.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I will wait some time if i go for the Sierra 2's or RBH book shelfs

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
There is no doubt in my mind, as well as many others, that the Chane A2.4's punch way out of their respective price range. However, the speakers that you listed in your original post all are good speakers. As Chris mentioned, the A2.4's should be more compared to the Ascend 340 SE's and not the Sierra 2's.

Return shipping is sometimes worth the risk and others not so much. But, in the end is it not better to know than not to know? Life is about taking risks as in moving us out of our comfort zones, right? Otherwise, you will always be asking yourself "what if", no?

Only YOU can decide what works for you. I believe you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the speakers that you are considering. It sounds like to me you have a nice setup already. However, there is nothing wrong in wanting to upgrade/improve upon what you have already.

Cheers,

Phil
The conclusion from the AVS thread for that specific poster was that the Sierra-2 was better, but only marginally. For that poster, he could not justify the price difference vs. the marginal performance benefit.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The conclusion from the AVS thread for that specific poster was that the Sierra-2 was better, but only marginally. For that poster, he could not justify the price difference vs. the marginal performance benefit.
Yes, I am fully aware of Mike's conclusions. The point of diminishing returns occurs quite rapidly when it comes to speakers. In other words, price does NOT always preclude top-notch performance/quality. As mentioned, the Chane A2.4's punch way out of their respective price range. But, there is also a lot of competition in that price range as well.

Cheers,

Phil

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
I have owned both the SVS Ultras and the Chane A2.4's. Of the two, I preferred the A2.4's to the Ultras. However, the Ultras are also very good. Even owned the JBL 530's that I also liked better than the Ultras. Now, I own the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers, as well as, the Diamond 220's and could not be happier.

Just prefer a more warmer sound signature as my preference is on music. The Wharfies handle vocals very well. Have never heard the Sierra 2's so can not be much help there. I can say though that they are very well received here at Audioholics and/or other forums such as AVS. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I added a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's for some 2.0 listening and I absolutely love these speaker's sound signature. Still keeping my Chane's though but I think these won't be the last Whardedale speakers I ever own. They fit perfectly right on top of my Chane A5' s. Grilles off cause they look that good that way, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis