CES Coverage Has Officially Begun!

<font color='#000080'>We've started our daily posting of event news and info and we're sure to be providing more and more as we move forward. The show is HUGE, so we can't cover it all, but we've got a great game plan and the news should get progressively more expansive as the days move on.

Check out the Updated CES Pages

We'd love to read your feedback here - Enjoy!!!</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Slippers? I dunno....lack of arch support and all...

Unless they have Wi-Fi, of course!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>Next year I plan on using Dr. Scholls... but so far so good - they haven't fallen apart!</font>

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If you have time to look at the Onix Rocket booths and give an opinion on their new Emotiva electronics, that would be cool. &nbsp;I'm considering them to buy this year.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Can you have a look at the new Rotel 1068 Pre/Pro. &nbsp;Supposedly it is based on the 1098 design without the TFT design. &nbsp;I'm specifically interested in how it differes from the 1066 model. &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

H

hardrock

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I would like to know if Lexicon plane to add Dolby Prologic IIx and firewire support to their MC-8 Pre/Processor.
I have a demo unit in test and the lacks these features.
I would like to pair it with a Pioneer DV-59AVi (the European version DV868 AVi) and have digital imput for DVD-Audio and SACD.
Thanks
hardrock
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I would really like to get your feedback on any new audiophile inwall speakers making their debut???

Many thanks</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have to congratulate the staff of audioholics since they have endured a harsh environment, as well as extensively researching every product that is up to audiohlics standards.
A big round of applause to you guys. You're excellent.!
&nbsp;
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Kudos on that! thanks to everyone on the Audioholics staff for covering ces. I am especially excited about the new Integra Research products they were able to cover and do look forward to the upcoming product reviews! Thanks guys</font>

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Has anyone had the opportunity to listen or see Wharfedale's new Opus Speaker line, &nbsp;at CES?

I've been trying to find some kind coverage on the Opus, &nbsp;but so far, &nbsp;no luck.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hello everyone,

Well, we just got back from the show and are sifting through all our info.  We have tons of more news and information to post, but haven't had time to publish it all yet.  At the end of our coverage, we will also post some light humorous pages that show Vegas and the few times we had fun.  Not that the show and what we did wasn't fun, but it was a great deal of work.

Keep checking back throughout the week.  Please keep in mind that we couldn't cover everything. This was THE largest show of any kind that I've attended in my professional career and hobbies.  I've been to shows that had actual aircrafts and helicopters inside (NBAA and Heli-Expo for example), and they were small beans compared to how many different Manufacturers were at CES spread out over probably a 10-mile radius around Vegas.</font>

G

George

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Great coverage guys!
Any more info on the line of Denon products(paticularly their pre/processor)?
George.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>George;

We are only 1/3 of the way through posting all of our CES coverage. &nbsp;We didn't spend much time with Denon but we do have some cool pics to show.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I am really interested in the Integra Research info you have. I am a current owner of the RDC-7 & the RDA-7. I love the products, but with the new announcements of not having a trade up policy to the RDC-7.1, it kind of frustrates me. I hope that IR reconsiders & offers an upgrade as well as a trade in policy.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Greetings ton1313....,

I fully understand your concerns about the new RDC-7.1 and you’re not alone.  But you have to remember that Integra Research is still supporting the RDC-7 and has been for over four years now (since its introduction).  Throughout this time, their support included software and at least one hardware upgrade (that I'm aware of).

As for the new RDC-7.1, I'm sure there will be some noticeable sonic improvement especially when considering the HDMI inputs, and the new DAC's.  But if you're trying to compare it to the RDC-7, I don't believe the difference will be so dramatic as to outdate, or obsolete what you already have and love.  

I guess when you invest in a Home Theater product, you have to ask yourself what you’re objectives are.  Are you more concerned with build quality, sound quality, and usability, or are you adamant about having every new feature the market has to offer?  

Quite frankly, we've been told by some famous receiver and pre/pro manufacturers that they intend to obsolete their new products (some of which retail between $1k and $4,500+) every 8-months.  Integra Research has provided a very high quality product that in our opinion ranks among the greats, was maintained for over four years, and will likely endure longer even when considering all the latest bells and whistles coming to market this spring.  

I believe the primary objective for Integra Research and the new RDC-7.1 was to make a similar high quality unit, but improve upon the manufacturability, especially when it comes to future hardware upgrades.  While the RDC-7 was a very modularized design, the new RDC-7.1 will have PC style card slots.  This makes it easy to "Build-To-Order" and especially easy for future upgrades which can now be field installed (by a local technician?).  The RDC-7 required shipping back to Integra Research, Technician Time, and shipment back to you, all of which was not very cost effective, and took a long period of time to complete.  The RDC-7.1 is THE first 7.1 channel processor (pre/pro) that we are aware of to incorporate PC card type, field installable cards.  To me, it makes perfect sense.

Now, while creating the new design, Integra Research also seems to have gone one step further by implementing newer DAC's, DSP's, and adding more options for Video Switching, among other things.  But again, this doesn't necessarily obsolete your RDC-7.

Should Integra Research decide to do one more hardware upgrade on the RDC-7, bravo!  Is it necessary?  Having owned the unit for two years now, I don't think so.

Many people have purchased other receivers and pre-pros that are the same price (or more for that matter).  Some of these receivers/processors had countless firmware updates in just one year because the “Manufacturer” couldn't seem to get it right the first twelve times.  Some of these same products don't have THX-Ultra2 certification, and DO NOT offer ANY hardware upgrades to speak of; yet no one seems to complain about them.  

I realize Integra Research marketed this unit as upgradeable.  And for four years, they did upgrade it, and very well may do it some more.  My guess is they might offer something else after the release of the RDC-7.1.  

But for how many more years should they keep up with upgrades?  Consider this.  If the RDC-7 is supported for 5 years with software and firmware upgrades, this is 7.5x's longer than just about ANY other manufacturer currently on the market.  Especially those who tell us 8-months max between products.

So relax, and enjoy the music.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the update. I realize that not all manufacturers stand behind many of the "upgradeable" claims. IR has indeed held on to their end of the bargain, but I still wish that they would consider a trade up policy. When I first purchased my RDC-7, One of the main reasons was for Sonics & the other was upgradeability. This is how I justified spending the money. I participated in the upgrades, but now it looks like the end of the upgrades is coming.

When Sunfire did an upgrade from the TG II to the TG III, they did is as a trade in + cash to current owners. This would be attractive as a step to keep the upgradability option alive.</font>

7ryder

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I've owned my RDC-7 for about 1.5 years and got it shortly after the THX Ultra 2 and DTS 96/24 improvements were introduced, so mine has never been upgraded.  I have been extremely pleased with its performance, but one of the major reasons I bought it was for the claims that the unit is upgradable.

I carefully looked into IR's claims of "upgradability" since I got burned by other manufacturers upgradibility claims (B&K's comes to mind) in the past.  In the course of my research, I checked out the website (which hasn't changed a bit in the last 1.5 years!) and I saw that there were at least two upgrades already offered for owners of the RDC-7 so I bought one.  

I have to admit that I am getting that feeling of being burned again...

Yeah, stevied4him, I know what all the other manufacturers do, but I felt that IR was different.  I agree with you that this unit is among the greats, but the upgradability that IR touted was important in my decision to spend $4K on this pre-amp and I am sure that many other owners feel the same way.  I also realize the the upgrades that they talk about in their press releases were intially software upgrades, but their last upgrade press release states things like:

"04/30/02 - When Integra Research first introduced its RDC-7 audio-video preamp-processor two years ago, it featured a revolutionary ""future-proof"" upgradeable architecture that protected consumers from having their processor rendered obsolete each time a new home theater processing technology was introduced." and "This gives our customers and installers the ability to keep pace with state of the art technology, without having to buy a new preamp-processor every six months."  see the whole release here: http://www.integraresearch.com/press.cfm?id=59

IR set the bar on upgrades in the industry and now I feel let down by them.  Then to make it even more irritating, the "new" model looks exactly like the old model and it isn't even a new model designation.  Using software speak, the 7.1 designation indicates an upgrade, not a new version.

Yes, IR is in the business to make money, but if you are going to claim that a model is upgradable, it seems reasonable to me that if it looks like an RDC-7 and just adds a .1 to the model number, it is still the current model.  Next time, make a clean break and bring out a new model, then they won't confuse the issue.

In the meantime, since this is just a more extensive upgrade, if they can't or won't upgrade the models out in the field, they should seriously consider a trade-in policy for current owners since they obviously can re-use the case!</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>7ryder,

Thanks for your views.  We appreciate hearing what users and owners have to say.  But I'm sorry, I still don't feel anyone who owns an RDC-7 is being burned.  Again, what other product in this price range is four years old and still supported?  

Just because something has a new button, feature, menu prompt, DAC's, or even PC cards in the back, doesn't mean that what you currently own is no longer good.  The RDC-7, quite frankly, is among the best Processors, Pre/Pros that's still currently available at, or below, this price.  When the RDC-7.1 comes out in April I'm sure it will be somewhat better, but I doubt it will be enough to justify casting your alread great RDC-7 aside and say you've been burned.

Please, everyone, feel free to continue to comment on this issue becaused I know it's important.  We really do want to hear everyone's opinions and we plan on sharing some of them with Integra Research.  I can't waive the IR flag without sounding like I sell there gear.  Believe me, I don't.  But I do believe in their products, approach, and support.  In the four years that the RDC-7 has been on the market, they have provided and supported a product that has stood the test of time.  The RDC-7.1 will do the same, I am sure.</font>

D

DVDJ

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : We've started our daily posting of event news and info and we're sure to be providing more and more as we move forward. The show is HUGE, so we can't cover it all, but we've got a great game plan and the news should get progressively more expansive as the days move on.

Check out the Updated CES Pages

We'd love to read your feedback here - Enjoy!!!
Your coverage of HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray overlooks the most fundamental factor in format adoption -- installed consumer base -- by not even listing the marketers behind one or the other high-def videodisc. It's a lopsided scorecard, with Blu-Ray looking like an all-star team compared to the pick-up team on the other side.

Content holders don't predicate their format choices on whether replication plants can retrofit lines (HD-DVD) or require new technology (Blu-Ray).  

Those are relative operational issues that are resolved after the fact; they are not determinants of which format makes the most sense to invest in and to market to the public.

Yet Audioholics' reporter endorses HD-DVD, it seems, on the churlish basis of manufacturing capabilities now in place.

I was in the CES press room the morning of Jan. 10 when a long-time CE journalist said to me, "Did you hear that HP and Dell endorsed Blu-Ray? Game, set, match."

Point being, those two brands dominate the PC market, and the CE brands behind Blu-Ray -- Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Philips, Thomson, LG, et al -- totally dominate their segment. It's the suppliers of disc drives who are the market makers, not replicators, who are vendors to the marketers.

As for content holders, their main concerns are which drive suppliers are behind which format (a decision-making process in which major content holders -- i.e., Hollywood -- are usually involved), which format offers the most robust encryption (anti-copy specification) and which is most user-friendly (though fair-useniks may find those latter two factors conflicted).

All things considered, there's no question Blu-ray has the industry momentum. Replication plants gladly will install new lines to stamp Blu-Ray discs if that is where the tonnage is, and that's where it will be, judging from the heavyweight backers of Blu-Ray.

It's very possible, if not probable, that by the time high-def videodiscs are marketed en masse, there will be a compromise format, just as what happened prior to 1996 (DVD's launch in Japan), when there were two format proposals -- ultimately, the Sony-Philips camp essentially conceded to the Toshiba-Warner format proposal to settle on what we know today as DVD.

For that, you can thank former Warner Home Video president Warren Lieberfarb, who functioned as the de facto mediator and whose induction inscription into the Video Hall of Fame in December 1997 christened him "father of DVD." (That's back when the word "video" wasn't yet corrupted into being used as a synonym denoting only VHS tape, as is the curious case today with movie studio ads proclaiming "available on video and DVD." That's like saying an album is available "on audio and CD." DVD is a form of video, as is VHS.)

The eventual compromise reached in these evolving technologies typically is not about incorporating elements of the weaker camp's configuration as much as it is about allowing the secondary camp's sponsoring companies to participate in the patent pool that is the pot of gold for the format standard's consortium.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Those are valid points. However, I fear you misinterpreted my enthusiasm as "endorsement".

My line of thinking is that the most important factor to me is going to be end-user software cost - and my interest as a consumer has much to do with how well and how fast HD-DVD products can get to market. Should Blu-Ray be the successor, no matter how you look at it, the introduction of high definition DVD will be far delayed as manufacturers need to double up on equipment and open new facilities (DVD isn't going to vanish overnight). HD-DVD excites me with its immediacy and endorsement by the DVD Forum (which in itself means nothing, but the lack of it means much more).

Considering that WMVHD looks as good as it does and runs at about 9-10 Mbit/s, the bandwidth of HD-DVD combined with a likely implementation of the MPEG-4 codec tells me it's a definite contender.

Blu-Ray, while endorsed by many more companies and with better specs (in theory) will inevitably result in higher media costs to the consumer and a longer delay before rollout. Hardware costs will be higher due to the mechanisms needed to play the disc and retain backwards compatibility (the market will almost demand this for simplicity's sake. Software costs will be higher due to the manufacturing process and necessary recoupment of costs.

That, while not meant to be an argument per se, should explain my enthusiasm for HD-DVD - at least from my particular perspective.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis