Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
CES 2017 is apparently underway in Las Vegas. For audio, have any of you ever gone?

QUESTION: What's the difference between CES for a 20 year old verses a 40 year old that's already been?
ANSWER: The 20 year old still wants to go

I have attended and helped staff a lot of trade shows over my working years. Many of them in the convention center in Vegas, or Orlando. The zoo that is CES is in a class by itself.

Has anyone seen/heard audio gear at CES? Was it worth the battle? I would be interested in opinions and observations.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
CES 2017 is apparently underway in Las Vegas. For audio, have any of you ever gone?

QUESTION: What's the difference between CES for a 20 year old verses a 40 year old that's already been?
ANSWER: The 20 year old still wants to go
alternate answer: the 40-year-old will be more savvy about picking up prostitutes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
An old bull and a young bull were both looking at a herd of cows...

I've never been to a CES, so I'd fall into the 20 year old category, though I'm well north of 40.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No interest in going to Vegas at all, let alone a convention. I think one of the smaller audio shows like RMAF would be more interesting....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
that may be an interesting topic for a new branch in the thread. What are the good audio shows to attend? I actually have no idea. I have never been to an audio show where audio was the main ingredient. Suggestions? Who puts on a great show for audio? Inquiring minds want to know !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never been to one myself but they're like audio systems each setup in a hotel room kind of setup, and much audiophoolya going on but still fun to listen to. The only two that come to mind that I've read about are RMAF and The High End Show (think its like their website address, formerly called The Show in Newport or something). The times of year for these shows aren't interesting at all to me, tho, got more fun things to do.....prime mountain bike riding time. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Another big show is AXPONA. There are minor shows like the NY Audio show and the Capitol Audiofest. I would say they are worth going to at least once for anyone interested in audio, especially a big show like RMAF or AXPONA. You will need a high tolerance for pseudoscience though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Let's see, just to summarize so far to get a picture of location and date:
CES - currently in Vegas,
RMAF - Denver CO October 6-8 2017
THT - Anaheim (maybe that's why its no longer Newport....) CA September 21-24 2017
AXPONA - Rosemont IL April 21-23 2017
NY Audio Show - New York NY November 10-12 2017
Capital Audiofest - Washington DC November 3-5 2017

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Never been to any of the big shows. I have been to the Capital Audiofest several times because it's local. Frankly, once is enough.

Most all of these shows are in hotels. Some speakers are played in larger rooms, but most are in standard size (small) hotel rooms with downright poor acoustics. It can be difficult to get a good impression of how a speaker sounds.

Dennis Murphy says the best day to go listen is the last day of the show. Usually it takes the speaker vendors a day or two to sort out their room's acoustics, find out where to place speakers, and when all else fails, find out what music to avoid playing given the acoustic limitations of the room.

It's easy to avoid all the cable & audio tweak vendors, but yes, you do need a high tolerance for BS. You can also meet some interesting people.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Never been to any of the big shows. I have been to the Capital Audiofest several times because it's local. Frankly, once is enough.
That's interesting. Perhaps I have a parallel : gun shows. Being in Arizona, guns are a thing and I've been around 'em my whole life. It wasn't til about 10 years ago that it occurred to me that I had never been to a gun show. Here in the west, there's a lot of them. Crossroads of the West Gunshow is one of the biggest and it comes to Arizona quite often.

I saddled up the car and my sons and we went to the gunshow. As Swerd said about the big audio shows, once is probably enough. I had no idea what they were like and after having attended one, I have no desire to go to another. I love the shooting sports. I got a safe full of fun in another part of the house. But one gunshow was enough to give me nightmares for a long time.

As someone else suggested, I would need a high tolerance for B.S. Frankly, i had to install an attenuator on my B.S. detector several years ago. I may have to turn the thing off if I want any peace. I did almost, and I say almost in the same way Cubs fans have almost won the world series in the last 100 years, go to the Newport audio show a few months ago. The only thing that stopped me was my sanity. I still have it. That and my wife looked at me like I had grown a third eye.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Let's see, just to summarize so far to get a picture of location and date:
CES - currently in Vegas,
RMAF - Denver CO October 6-8 2017
THT - Anaheim (maybe that's why its no longer Newport....) CA September 21-24 2017
AXPONA - Rosemont IL April 21-23 2017
NY Audio Show - New York NY November 10-12 2017
Capital Audiofest - Washington DC November 3-5 2017
Denver in October is nice. NYC in November is also pretty nice. I would suppose I will have closed the deal on my speakers by then. I will be getting the itch to upgrade something by then, but my wife will still remember the speakers. If going to shows is largely for the purple prose crowd, I may just take the travel money and invest it in to a nice .................. something

T

Treamaya

Audiophyte
Denver in October is nice. NYC in November is also pretty nice. I would suppose I will have closed the deal on my speakers by then. I will be getting the itch to upgrade something by then, but my wife will still remember the speakers. If going to shows is largely for the purple prose crowd, I may just take the travel money and invest it in to a nice .................. something
Cedia is a good show for audio. I was a kid in the candy store listening to all of the different speakers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Most all of these shows are in hotels. Some speakers are played in larger rooms, but most are in standard size (small) hotel rooms with downright poor acoustics. It can be difficult to get a good impression of how a speaker sounds.

Dennis Murphy says the best day to go listen is the last day of the show. Usually it takes the speaker vendors a day or two to sort out their room's acoustics, find out where to place speakers, and when all else fails, find out what music to avoid playing given the acoustic limitations of the room.

It's easy to avoid all the cable & audio tweak vendors, but yes, you do need a high tolerance for BS. You can also meet some interesting people.
Also, on the final day of the show, many vendors are looking to offload the demo gear so they don't have to haul it back. Good day for a bargain!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis