Center Speaker Recommendations for Dialogue

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Hi All!

I'm putting together a 5.1 system for a new house that we're building. Of course, we will be using the system for music. But what is most important to us is to have a system which produces very clear dialogue from tv and movies. We can't understand a single word coming from Russell Crowe, (we call him "mumbly Joe"), and it gets very frustrating. So what are the standouts in reproducing voices?

Here are the limitations I have. It's a real puzzle. The tv, left, right, and center will be in a large 14' wide cabinet. The left and right will have to literally be in a bookshelf, not stands. The center can't be mounted vertically, unless it is small. The rear speakers will have to be in the ceiling. So, that center speaker will have to be matched with bookshelfs that actually sound decent in bookshelves and decent ceiling speakers.

Budget is tough, because I have 6-8 months to shop, and wait for closeouts. Let's say $2000 for all 6 speakers at discounted prices. The area is large, with a 26' front wall, a 27' length, and 13' ceilings. Seating will be at 10-12' from the front wall, and the ceiling speakers will be 14-16' from the front wall. We rarely listen to anything anywhere near theater volume.

Is there a way to enhance dialogue with electronics, too.

It's alot to ask, isn't it?

Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think you've answered your own question when you say the center should match the right and left speakers. when placing it, you should move it as forward in thecabinet as possible so it's front os flush with the front of the furniture. That will minimize aas much interference from the cabinet itself as possible. Try to do this with the R/L speakers as well.

But, if it helps any, I've never heard Russell Crowe say anything worthwhile anyway.

a helpful hint: when auditioning speakers, use music as your test material. when you've decided on the front R/L. go for the matching center. Good music speakers will be good movie speakers. The opposite isn't always the case.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You're likely to want front ported or sealed speakers since you'll be placing them in a cabinet. NHT has a good offering and good quality sound: High End Speakers & Stereo Equipment | Subwoofers, Home Theater Systems Might stretch the budget at normal pricing there, but you should be able to put together a decent system (spend more on the mains than the surrounds, or get surrounds from another manufacturer). You'll need a decent sub for a room that size as well; you're looking at probably something in the $600-800- range, so keep that in mind.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
As far as centers go, i suggest building around the KEF Q600C. Three of those plus a pair of Q100s, and then a Rythmik or HSU subwoofer, should hopefully squeeze within your budget.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the suggestions. Let me re-word a little. We're putting together a 5.1 system. We're looking for a center speaker that produces exceptionally clear dialogue. But since the fronts will have to be in mostly enclosed book shelves and the surrounds will have to be in the ceiling, that center speaker brand will also have to offer decent ceiling speakers and bookshelf speakers that actually work well in bookshelves, in the same line.

That KEF center does get great reviews. But I don't see being able to put 3 of those in the entertainment center.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the suggestions. Let me re-word a little. We're putting together a 5.1 system. We're looking for a center speaker that produces exceptionally clear dialogue. But since the fronts will have to be in mostly enclosed book shelves and the surrounds will have to be in the ceiling, that center speaker brand will also have to offer decent ceiling speakers and bookshelf speakers that actually work well in bookshelves, in the same line.

That KEF center does get great reviews. But I don't see being able to put 3 of those in the entertainment center.
If you are going to put the the speakers in a cubicle, you're going to want front ported speakers. You may want to consider 'horn' type speakers.
Do you have a picture of the wall unit the speakers going in to? Have you considered, or do you have have room for, a sound bar? You can mount it above, below, or in front of the wall unit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

You don't need 3 centers, only one. Q600C could matched with Q100 for L/R duties. Plus one on the NHT suggestion above.

One more exceptional option to consider is these:
Philharmonic Audio

$165 for front Left/Right plus matching center for $90. $420+shipping for 5.0. Just add good sub from SVS/HSU

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The surround (ceiling) speakers aren't anywhere near as critical as the front three speakers.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Re: NHT recommendation

You're right! Lots of recommendations on the net. But I'm still looking for comments referring to dialogue clarity.

Is there a big step change between the classic and zero series? How about within each series? Are any used previous models good deals, or are the latest generation much improved? Remember that these will actually be placed in a home entertainment center.

They're ceiling surround speakers are a little pricey.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Re: Horn speaker recommendation

As far as looking for horn type speaker for speakers placed in an entertainment center (and front or no port), is there something other than Klipsch in my price range?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
HSU makes some decent, well priced horn speakers.

I would still rather have the KEF bookshelves/center BSA mentioned.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis