Center speaker recommendation

N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast
I am looking at getting a new center speaker. Currently I'm using a:
Denon Avr 910
Polk rm 6880 5.1
The speakers are older but I wanna piece together a nice system and also add in 2 ceiling speakers. Not sure what pricing I'm looking for but something around $200-$250.

Couch is about 10ft from where the current center speaker is located.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
In that price range. Cerwin-VEGA! Check them out on Cerwinvega.com. Or AMAZON.COM

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why are you looking for new center? What you try to achieve? Why not new main speakers?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Cerwin-Vega does not have a reputation for transparent, revealing reproduction. Mr. Fickel's opinion is not one a majority of audiophiles around here share.

For $100 + shipping, you can get an Affordable Accuracy center -- a Pioneer SP-C22 center with Dennis Murphy's crossover mods and a replacement (better) tweeter. Dennis confirmed yesterday that he's still offering this. See this page for contact details.

Next step up would be a Hsu Research center. Here's a very glowing review of the Hsu bookshelf system.

The Dana 630i might also be worth considering if you have an aversion to the Affordable Accuracy and Hsu centers. Here's one bloke's opinion about the Dana 630i LCR (as a set of 5).

Last edited:
JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have compared Cerwin to many and have liked. I have a Klipsch RC-64ii in my main system. I would find somewhere you can go listen and make your own mind up. Everyone's ears are different!

N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys, I wanted to start with the center speaker due to research on the internet saying to start there. I am not opposed to anyone's input on this if there is a different way to start. I just got the receiver and wanna upgrade the speakers.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Some may disagree, I would personally start with the best main speakers you can, The ones you love the sound of the most, then buy the matching center and surrounds.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Any idea what sort of budget you plan for your mains and ceiling surrounds (eventually)?

N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast
I don't have a total I would spend. It just would be done piece by piece

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have a total I would spend. It just would be done piece by piece
The reason I ask is that it's generally better to have the center channel match the timbre of the mains. This usually means getting a center from the same maker and series as the mains. Choosing a center would be easier if you had a general idea what mains you want to save for.

If you refuse to decide now, then go for the Dennis Murphy AA center. It's cheapest, it's neutral, it's thoroughly under-valued, and I predict you'll have little problems reselling it if you ever want to upgrade. Amazon still sells the stock Pioneer C22 for just shy of $100, and the modded version is rarer and much improved over stock.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for those, would it matter if the center wasn't the same as the 2 front speakers. Like when I replace the front speakers would they have to be the same series? I would prefer to have satellite speakers in the front.
I would aim to use the same series speakers - I would not mix dome and horn tweeters up front.

I would not use baby sats for the front left and right speakers

The JBL Studio 220 speakers are smaller - and That is the smallest that I would prefer.
They are also on sale
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-220-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GK22DF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464224111&sr=8-1&keywords=JBL+STUDIO+220

This is a smaller JBL Studio 2 center - the 225
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-225C-Channel-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GJXSXCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464224311&sr=8-1&keywords=JBL+STUDIO+2+center

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for those, would it matter if the center wasn't the same as the 2 front speakers. Like when I replace the front speakers would they have to be the same series? I would prefer to have satellite speakers in the front.
It is best to have same series speakers in front/center so they will match better. I would not use satellites for front as it will produce quite thin sound.

N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast
Awesome. Thank you all so much for your support. I am debating on the jbl 235 and hc1 mk2.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis