Center channel shelf options; doesn't seem like a lot out there

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Can anyone help me with finding a solution for my newly purchased center channel speaker? I'm trying to find a way to mount it with my tv. Unfortunately, I have no room on my television stand below the tv, so it has to go up top. However, the new speaker is rather large (18"x7"x12") and I am having a hard time finding a way to prop it up there. The only solution I've found is from Sanus:

https://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/foundations/tvshelves.html&cart_id=

However, the problem here is that it says it will support up to 15lbs. My new center channel is 19lbs. Should I risk it? Will 4lbs over the manufacturers suggestion send it crashing to the ground? I feel like this is my only option, unless anyone out there knows of another solution.

Thanks in advance.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
An extra 4 pounds probably won't be an issue, but I personally would not want that kind of setup - there will still be alot of weight on the tv itself.

You could easily make or buy your own shelf and mount it directly to the wall behind the tv. Alternatively, you could look into those swivel tv mounts for mounting tvs on the wall. You can find smaller ones, designed to hold small tvs, and that would give you more options for positioning the center because you can adjust the distance from the wall or the height above the tv.

D

DONS459

Audiophyte
Make your own

I bought a white nylon type cutting board from K-mart , Drilled two holes in it and bought two 7 inch bolts with washers and nuts, put rubber feet on the bolts and it works great.
It measures about 19x13x 3/8 I used velcro on the top of the tv and the bottom of the nylon board at the front. It even lets light from my lamp behind the set shine thru it. cost me $16.00 My speaker weighs around 18lbs. Its only been up for two months but looks ok. :)

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
However, the problem here is that it says it will support up to 15lbs. My new center channel is 19lbs. Should I risk it? Will 4lbs over the manufacturers suggestion send it crashing to the ground?
manufacturer weight specs are generally written by a lawyer, not an engineer, and the engineering specs require a safety tolerance.

An example. Warehouse rack require a safety factor of as much as 60% of the tested limits for the rack.

Can you exceed 15 lbs? Yes.

Will Sanus's lawyers let them say so? No.

By the way, I tried the Sanus shelf with a 23lb speaker. No problem, except the location was less than desirable, so the speaker got moved.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Wana see how the Pro's do it? $2 per click ;)
The speaker pictured here weighs about 36lbs
Hint: what svivels, has adjustable angles,built in cable management, will hold 50 -60 lbs
and comes with a saftey strap? :)

Attachments

Last edited:
MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
Ok....

I give. What?

Looks like a Bogen contraption...

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
13" TV mount available at any Home Depot the mount comes in
Powder black finish and has a very small mounting plate if installed correctly
It looks as though it was designed for a center channel application
The ones with the short extension arms and square tube frame look the best
This will satisfy even the pickiest significant other if installed correctly
and it places the center channel above the monitor at the correct angle
You Owe Me $2 :)

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
RLA said:
13" TV mount available at any Home Depot the mount comes in
Powder black finish and has a very small mounting plate if installed correctly
It looks as though it was designed for a center channel application
The ones with the short extension arms and square tube frame look the best
This will satisfy even the pickiest significant other if installed correctly
and it places the center channel above the monitor at the correct angle
You Owe Me $2 :)
Excellent idea!....My $2 check will be in the mail :)

-chris

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Excellent idea!....My $2 check will be in the mail
The older I get the more difficult it becomes to hold my breath please make sure you hand the check to the postman so I dont turn blue :D

S

SacKen

Enthusiast
I bought the Sanus shelf for the same reason and overall it solves the problem... if you have traditional tube TV! I ran into two problems with it due to the steep slope of the rear of my TV (Sony 60" Rear-Projection LCD):

1) The height of the back "legs" are adjustable, but the slope was too great so they weren't long enough and the shelf tilted backwards a little. I compenstated by adding a couple plastic pads (extra rubber feet that came with the speaker) to raise the rear of the speaker back to level.

2) The back "legs" attach to the TV via adhesive-backed velcro. Overall it is strong enough for most uses. The problem I had was that the heat of the TV softened the adhesive enough that it slowly slid down the back of the TV (took about two weeks for it to slip enough to catch my eye). So it is not strong enough for a steep slope.

So that the purchase was not a total waste, I ended up buying a couple of really nice black shelf brackets to mount the Sanus shelf to the wall. If I had to do it again, I probably would have gone with the small TV mount instead. Let my pain be your lesson :p

If only I had found audioholics before I bought my system... and hundreds of dollars worth of Best Buy Monster Cables...

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
That's good to know. I went ahead and bought it also, based on everyone's responses...seems like my center won't be too heavy. I don't have nearly as much tv as you have...I have a wee 27 incher that's slope isn't too severe, so, fingers crossed, it'll work.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
In my opinion the Sanus stand is butt ugly and not an option for my system I bought a nice center channel stand that is thin and cannot be seen. I don't have the link but if anyone is interested I will sell it for short money and it looks great, much better than Sanus. I got a 52" and can no longer use this center shelf but I know that Circuit City sells a nice center stand for DLP's and LCD's. It is listed under audio accessories and should be good.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=108951&WT.mc_n=6&WT.mc_t=U

I had the Sanus as my only option as well and refused to settle so I looked until I found something acceptable.

THX that set up looks good but the Center speaker is supposed to be equal with the picture screen that looks set back?

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Nope its perfectly aligned But even if it was set back I guarantee there would be no
Person alive that could detect an audible difference ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis