Center Channel Plus

T

terkar

Audiophyte
I currently have a pair of Boston Acustic in-ceiling speakers that I use for music. Am looking to get surround sound of a sort but really interested in good crisp dialog. My wife and I find that movies made today seem to have the dialog overpowered by music and loud action sequences.

Am thinking of getting the Athena WS60 for a center with a pair of Athen WS15 for front L/R then installing an A/B switch for the in-ceilings to provide a semblance of surround sound. Does anyone have these speakers? Do you think this would be a good arrangement?

Alternative is to get the Boston Acoustic VRC Center and a couple of BA Micro 130X for the front. Much more $$ but I really want the dialog to come thru - could care less, really, about tanks or choppers in back of me. And, would like the music to be in the background (yeah, like in the 50's)

Look forward to hearing from those of you that are more up to date on this stuff than I.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
The problem with some films is that dialogue is mixed at a playback level that is extremely loud. At lower volumes, the dialogue therefore sounds unclear.

Acoustically ceiling to floor reflections are meant to blur dialogue, so tilting your speakers downwards can help. Turning on dynamic range compression may be useful if you don't listen at reference volume levels.

If you're interested in getting very clear dialogue and all round good film soundtrack performance, the THX, Dolby Digital, and DTS speakers of choice are made by M&K (Miller and Kreisel). THX certified centre speakers by M&K (and generally) are designed so that the dispersivity is such that less sound is radiated up and down. This reduces ceiling/floor reflections and improves dialogue clarity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis