Center channel only?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I have some space issues and I was wondering if I could use the center channel speaker as the only speaker in the system for now. I have very big space limitations and I was wondering if, in 3/5/7 ch stereo mode, the center channel was outputting the whole stereo signal or would I miss something?!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Probably not easily

I know of no receiver or preamp that will output a mixed mono feed of all channels to the center.

The only thing you could do, would be to use only analog inputs to your receiver and connect all the inputs together with a patch. But you would need to make a board, and put about a 50K resistor in series with each live output before mixing them together. I believe the Dolby Plx will then send everything to the center channel.

You will only be able to do this if you are handy with a soldering iron.

You will of course be listening in mono, and I doubt the results will be much better than just having a plain TV. It sounds to me that you will be spending a lot of money for nothing.

May be you should consider Bose. That does not take up much space.

There are also single speaker systems that claim to produce multichannel audio from a single centrally located device under the TV. I have not heard any of these system, but I would think their claims need to be treated with a healthy degree of suspicion.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You will not be able to tell the receiver that the center channel is the only speaker connected. What you could do is lie to the receiver and tell it the front left and right and center channel speakers are present.

In all channel stereo mode, it will sum the left and right channels and output them to the center speaker.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
All to the center

That might work if his receiver has an all channel mode.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
You will not be able to tell the receiver that the center channel is the only speaker connected. What you could do is lie to the receiver and tell it the front left and right and center channel speakers are present.

In all channel stereo mode, it will sum the left and right channels and output them to the center speaker.
I thought it worked. That's exactly what I did. But I was listening to some music from my computer (mini-jack to 2-ch analog) and when an effect from the left or right speaker only came, it cut. So the center is not outputting everything from the signal, but almost. Doesn't bother me when I listen to TV though. They don't put too much emphasis on "dolby stereo effects".

BTW, spending money for that is out of question right now. This situation is only temporary. Thanks for the replys.

N.B. I've heard some of those "strip-speakers" that claim to do 5 channels in only one speaker. It surprised me how well it worked for a single speaker system!

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
I have some space issues and I was wondering if I could use the center channel speaker as the only speaker in the system for now. I have very big space limitations and I was wondering if, in 3/5/7 ch stereo mode, the center channel was outputting the whole stereo signal or would I miss something?!
We recently bought a Yamaha 659 AVR, replacing a 1990s Yammy AVR. At the same time, we also just replaced the living room carpet and dining room carpet with hard wood, so almost everything was moved out of the rooms (only the heavy couch and CRT TV stayed). It took a while to move stuff back and it's not done yet--all the bookcases and books aren't back yet, for example. The one speaker that was in the room was our center, which was on top of the TV the whole time. (Hey, if the installers were willing to move a 200-pound TV, why not leave a relatively small center speaker on top of it?) As I started hooking up the new Yammy to the various components, I simply connected the center speaker until I could move the mains, the surrounds, and the sub into the room. I tied the center into the 659, turned the 659 on and.......nothing. I plugged in a set of headphones and determined the new 659 was at least sending a signal to that.

Note that I didn't have a lot of time that week to play with the 659, but I did go into the menu and tell the AVR that it did not have mains, did not have surrounds, and did not have a sub. I thought that'd tell it to put its sound to the center, which would only give me mono output, of course. No joy, didn't happen.

A few days later I got the chance to hook up all the other speakers. They immediately all worked, even the center.

I don't know enough to know why the Yammy 659 didn't work with just a center speaker attached, but it didn't. Then again, based on my limited time, I could have missed something. Still...

Chris

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would you miss something? Except for all of the dimensionality? Except the results of mixing 5 channels down to one? I think you should check into some of the small systems available. For example, HSU makes its Performance series of 5.1 systems (starting around $500, generally regarded as real good for its size. The left, right and rear speakers are about grapefruit size, the center somewhat wider.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Would you miss something? Except for all of the dimensionality? Except the results of mixing 5 channels down to one? I think you should check into some of the small systems available. For example, HSU makes its Performance series of 5.1 systems (starting around $500, generally regarded as real good for its size. The left, right and rear speakers are about grapefruit size, the center somewhat wider.
I don't even have space for grapefruit size speakers! lol A desk is direclty on the right and a wardrobe on the left. And as I said, it's only themporary. My HT will have a home pretty soon :)

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I don't even have space for grapefruit size speakers! lol A desk is direclty on the right and a wardrobe on the left. And as I said, it's only themporary. My HT will have a home pretty soon :)
Wow...that really IS tight. With that small of a space, perhaps a decent set of headphones would do.

Haoleb

Haoleb

You could put it on Mono 7 or 5 if your reciever will do that. If you can actually live with just the center channel. That would certainly be harder than making it work physically. ;)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Wow...that really IS tight. With that small of a space, perhaps a decent set of headphones would do.
As of now, the TV is in my bedroom (yeah a 46' in my bedroom lol). That's why I'm lacking space. Go see my rid (link in my signature) and you'll see for yourself.

H

HenrikFjeller

Audiophyte
If you Receiver has a mode called something like "7CH Stereo", "Ext. stereo", "Mono 5(Or 7)", this mode will most definently combine the stereo ch's into mono for the center.

H

HenrikFjeller

Audiophyte
Thread is from 2007.
Why in the world would that matter? If people Google this my response would be helpful.

I'm tired you people coming to forums telling people it's an old thread BEACUSE WE KNOW, we don't need people telling.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why in the world would that matter? If people Google this my response would be helpful.

I'm tired you people coming to forums telling people it's an old thread BEACUSE WE KNOW, we don't need people telling.
Well some people DON'T KNOW, and usually a ten year old thread will not be relevant any more. Plus you repeated advice that was already given...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

What do you mean "WE" are tired of it? You're tired of it because people keep telling you because apparently you keep doing it. See how that works? Sounds like the problem isn't everyone else. You didn't add anything useful that anyone googling will benefit from either, so I don't see your point.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I have an amp that is dedicated to my Aerial CC-3 center. When watching some old movies or regular TV shows I use the center only. Beats the TV speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis