Center Channel Frequencies

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
I have two Speakercraft Starlet8 speakers for L/F and one Speakercraft Starlet6 for the center speaker. These are in-wall speakers so replacing them would not be easy. My problem is that the voices in the movies can't be heard well. The speakers are running off of a Denon AVR4806. Since the center speaker wasn't made to be a center channel speaker, I was wondering if I can tune it to be a center channel by playing with the frequencies just on that channel? Anybody have a suggestion? How should the frequencies be set on a center channel? Or should I give up and buy a real center channel speaker?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
ivoimg, is this in the same room that you mentioned in another thread - the big living room with two TVs? It might have something to do with the room. There was another thread on here within the past month where someone was having trouble hearing dialogue even though they had a good center channel. The consensus was that it was the room, and that seemed to pan out if I remember correctly. You could look for that thread on here. It could also be the way you have it set up on the 4806.

Some questions for you:

1) Do you have the center speaker set to small (if you have a sub)?

2) Does the 4806 have an auto set-up feature (like Audyssey), and if so, did you use it? That will often set speakers to large, but you can set them to small if you have a sub. That system should do some speaker EQ for you.

3) I couldn't find anything on the web for the Starlet 6 (doesn't mean it's not available - I just didn't find it). What components are in that speaker - number of cones and sizes?

Adam

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Have you tried adjusting the levels in the receiver? The test can only do so much. If it doesn't sound right to you, change it.

SheepStar

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
First rule in home cinema always use matching fronts for LCR no matter what!

Each of the fronts should have respectful (sound pressure level) in the HF and LF they should be checked and double checked. Bets way is to install a loudspeaker management system and use separate amplifiers for LF and HF, otherwise you’d be wasting you're time, chasing you're tail so to speak.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Since the center speaker wasn't made to be a center channel speaker, I was wondering if I can tune it to be a center channel by playing with the frequencies just on that channel?
Speakers need not be designed as centers to make a good center channel speaker. People use the same speaker as their mains all the time as a center with great success. If there is not a problem with your center speaker or wiring, try a different speaker (that you have laying around, or temporarily buy one). If the center then performs as a center should, problem solved. ;)

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I think that you're in the realm where you should go with a pro. If whoever sold you this equipment won't/can't make it work well, get someone who can.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Center channel performance

Speaker craft makes some good inceiling speakers so it is probably a setup or calibration issue. If possible, remove the grill from the center channel and see if it has a pivoting/aimable tweeter and point it at the main listening position. Do the same for the other speakers if you haven't all ready.

Rerun the Auto setup on the Denon with the mic and adjust the crossover and speaker size settings when it is complete.

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
I have two Speakercraft Starlet8 speakers for L/F and one Speakercraft Starlet6 for the center speaker. These are in-wall speakers so replacing them would not be easy. My problem is that the voices in the movies can't be heard well. The speakers are running off of a Denon AVR4806. Since the center speaker wasn't made to be a center channel speaker, I was wondering if I can tune it to be a center channel by playing with the frequencies just on that channel? Anybody have a suggestion? How should the frequencies be set on a center channel? Or should I give up and buy a real center channel speaker?
Yes, it is the same big room (although the second TV isn't used unless there's lots of people over for "movie night").

The center channel speaker (Starlet6) has six mids and a ribbon tweater (each is run on its own amp). It's mounted above the TV, probably 7 feet high (that might be a part of the problem). I did run Audyssey and have set the speaker to small.

Do speakers that normally go on L or R always work as center speakers? Or is that a specialty?

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried adjusting the levels in the receiver? The test can only do so much. If it doesn't sound right to you, change it.

SheepStar
I have tweeked the frequencies, just don't really know where to start. I was wondering if center speakers have more mid, less bass, etc... Anything specific?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker setup

I would try to get the speaker setup right before messing with EQ. The Center might not be loud enough because it is so high on the wall and firing over the listening position.

Post a link to that speaker model, I don't see it on the site.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis