Center channel double up?

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
I have a center channel speaker from Radio Shack, an Optimus CS1, from many years ago that I have used as my center channel speaker for many years. It is rated at 35 watts, not sure if this means peak or rms?:confused:

I recently came across a set ot Klipsch Quintet speakers that included a center channel speaker. I looks to be rated at 75 watts. :cool:

I wanted to improve my overall center channel sound experience so I tried swapping the Klipsch for the Optimus. Not much of an improvement.

So I thought, what if I wire them both to the center channel output of my receiver? I twisted another positive and negative into the input connection on the Radio Shack speaker and ran this out into the corresponding positive and negative posts on the Klipsch center channel speaker. To me it sounds fuller. Is there anything wrong with this attempt to get a better sound out of my center channel? Should I have run this in parallel instead?

Please chime in on your thoughts. I am running a Pioneer Elite VSX-07tx THX receiver that is about 10 years old.

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
There shouldn't be any need to double up on the center channel. The center channel should be timbre matched to your other speakers. If there appears to be a gross mismatch, you may have simple level matching issues which your AVR settings should resolve. If that doesn't help, you may have a blown tweeter in your center speaker.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
First, double posting is frowned upon.

I wouldn't recommend doing it. If you're having trouble hearing the center channel, simply go into the receiver settings and raise the center level. I haven't looked up the manual for your receiver, so let us know if you can't do it or are having trouble. Acoustically, it will cause issues that will make things less accurate and it may strain the amp section in your receiver. Overall I don't think it's worth it.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Good chances are that you're going to burn out your receiver.

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
OK, the consensus says disconnect the second center channel. Thanks for saving my receiver. Now the question is how to choose? Sophie's Choice? The 19 year old Optimus CS1 or the 10 year old Klipsch Quintet center? Anyone?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis