Center channel causing receiver to shut off - PICS

C

Canadian NSX

Audiophyte
Hi Guys -

I had a little incident with my energy center (RC-LCR). I did some cleaning in the house and moved it in front the fireplace to clean some dust from the components cabinet. unfortunately i lost track of the time and some heat damage occurred to the back of the unit. I hooked it back up and it seemed to work fine, until i cranked the volume past a certain level; -16 on my Pioneer VSX-1326. As soon as it gets to that volume the receiver instantly shuts down and powers right off.

I have ruled out numerous issues, such as the receiver (fine - tried a diff. center), the woofers (fine), the mid-range and tweeters (fine) and the circuit board that controls the mid-range and tweeters (fine)

It appears to solely be an issue with the circuit board that controls the woofers. I believe I did some type of damage from that excessive fire place heat. And just an FYI, none of the caps are bulged.

I hope somebody knows what is causing this problem on the circuit board and why it is causing the receiver to shut down at that certain volume level.

Any help would be great! Some pics are attached of the speaker and suspect board.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I would recommend to call the manufacture and see if your speaker still is under warranty. If not they might be able to offer you a new circuit board.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Guys -

I had a little incident with my energy center (RC-LCR). I did some cleaning in the house and moved it in front the fireplace to clean some dust from the components cabinet. unfortunately i lost track of the time and some heat damage occurred to the back of the unit. I hooked it back up and it seemed to work fine, until i cranked the volume past a certain level; -16 on my Pioneer VSX-1326. As soon as it gets to that volume the receiver instantly shuts down and powers right off.

I have ruled out numerous issues, such as the receiver (fine - tried a diff. center), the woofers (fine), the mid-range and tweeters (fine) and the circuit board that controls the mid-range and tweeters (fine)

It appears to solely be an issue with the circuit board that controls the woofers. I believe I did some type of damage from that excessive fire place heat. And just an FYI, none of the caps are bulged.

I hope somebody knows what is causing this problem on the circuit board and why it is causing the receiver to shut down at that certain volume level.

Any help would be great! Some pics are attached of the speaker and suspect board.

I would suspect that the caps have been damaged. They are electrolytic types which have a very narrow heat range tolerance.

You don't know that the boars to the other speakers are OK either. I suspect any electrolytic caps are out of tolerance now. All electrolytic type caps need replacing. Also all drivers need to have their DC resistances checked, to make sure they are to manufacturers specification.

Those boards are typical commercial boards, full of electrolytic caps and iron cored chokes.

If you can solder, just replace all the caps, and also check the woofers properly in case the voice coils are damaged and have some shorted turns.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis