Center channel behind screen

H

Hellcommute

Enthusiast
Currently my center channel is in line with my mains about 29" off the screen wall. I am getting a larger screen and am considering seymour center stage xd arterial for a diy build.

From an acoustics standpoint, will putting the center channel 3" or so off the wall, then the screen 5" off the front baffle decrease the quality and clarity of the center channel than if it is out in the room further?

My system is audio centric, and if moving the center channel lower is the better option so be it I guess. It would be 20" off the floor if this is the case vs 38" if behind screen in line with the mains tweeters.

Thanks!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You should be fine. The sound sound will be attenuated slightly, but with the Seymour screen it shouldn't be too big of a problem, if at all. If you should decide to move the center channel down and the you find that panning from L to R doesn't sound quite right, you can always shift the imaging of the center up by putting something hard directly below and slightly in front of the center. IIRC this will help shift the imaging up to align better with the front L/R.

H

Hellcommute

Enthusiast
Cool, thanks. Going to go behind I think.

Found this great pdf with several AT screens tested at accucalhd.com

for future users google: acoustically transparent screen + accucal.hd

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis