Center channel advice..Please

J

J.Griff

Audiophyte
Hello to all.
My name is Jay & am new here.After the addition of a new family room(16 x 20) to our home,I am shopping for a new 5.1 rig.I am a long time fan of Yamaha.The trusty OLD 2090 is being put to pasture in my shop along side the huge JBL CF-150s.This combo has provided me with 2 decades of dedicated service.While I would love to retain the 2090 for movie duties,its lack of HDMI,equal power for all channels & none of the new formats(True HD etc.) leave me no choice but replace it.While i would love to snag the new 3020,the 773 will have to do.I'm leaning towards Klipsch Reference Series.The RF-6 floorstanders meet all my needs.

But the center is where I'm drawing a blank.

The matching 6 center makes sense but I am thinking the 5 would not over extend voices as much.Am I over thinking this? I'm looking for clear,un-muddled sound in the center(without spending 2K on Revel,B&W).Any thoughts?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The best center is the RF-6 for that setup, but is that really the best setup for you.

You are already spending 1500 for a new front set I'd estimate 2k is your budget. You will also want a subwoofer. Please don't get Klipsch for that.
SVSsound.com has the sub you want. Go there to pick out the sub. You can also get speakers there if you want. They are fantastic.

What is the overall budget? Please let us help you get the most for your money.

J

J.Griff

Audiophyte
The best center is the RF-6 for that setup, but is that really the best setup for you.

You are already spending 1500 for a new front set I'd estimate 2k is your budget. You will also want a subwoofer. Please don't get Klipsch for that.
SVSsound.com has the sub you want. Go there to pick out the sub. You can also get speakers there if you want. They are fantastic.

What is the overall budget? Please let us help you get the most for your money.
Thanks for the speedy reply.
And yes the budget is around 2k.I see you are not a fan of Klipsch subs.
Given my luck,that does indeed make sense! I found a package deal online that gives the Klipsch sub for free with purchase of RF-6 floorstanders.

I could be just as happy with the RF-6 bookshelfs as L&R mains to stay under budget.My main goal is the best sounding center I can get for around $700.I am flexible on AVRs,L&Rs & rears.Just looking to build a system around the center.Strange?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the speedy reply.
And yes the budget is around 2k.I see you are not a fan of Klipsch subs.
Given my luck,that does indeed make sense! I found a package deal online that gives the Klipsch sub for free with purchase of RF-6 floorstanders.

I could be just as happy with the RF-6 bookshelfs as L&R mains to stay under budget.My main goal is the best sounding center I can get for around $700.I am flexible on AVRs,L&Rs & rears.Just looking to build a system around the center.Strange?
Do you really like your old speakers? You could actually use them as mains. If you like JBL speakers then you'll probably love Infinities.

The infinity P363s go for 117 each at Frys. 3 of them for the front would be ideal. The 163s go for 60 each.

That's 480 total for 5 speakers. If you want to do a center(don't have the space below the tv)
Infinity PC351BK Open Box is 150(best deal I could find)

That would put you around 560 just add SB12-NSD - SVS

For a receiver make sure you look at accessories4less.com.

I think the primus set would be a far better match plus you get the money to buy a quality sub. That's a big deal in home theater.

J

J.Griff

Audiophyte
Wow! Just found Ushers S series for roughly the same money as the Klipsch set I'd been looking at.While I've never heard a set of Ushers I do know they manufacture excellent products.I also looked at the SVS sub recommended & its very solid as well.I'm still under budget so far. Next question is Usher S vs. Klipsch RF-5? L/C/R's only.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! Just found Ushers S series for roughly the same money as the Klipsch set I'd been looking at.While I've never heard a set of Ushers I do know they manufacture excellent products.I also looked at the SVS sub recommended & its very solid as well.I'm still under budget so far. Next question is Usher S vs. Klipsch RF-5? L/C/R's only.
SVS has better subs(The ultra is one of the best on the market) If size isn't a problem.

If you are interested in towers. Have you heard the Energy CF-30s? I heard them against the RFs and personally preferred them my friend bought them and loves them.

If you can swing Salks it would be worth it. There are a lot of great speakers. Aperion audio offers a free shipping both ways in home trial if you want to look at that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis