Center Channel, 5:1

J

johnlooes

Audiophyte
How important is the center channel with 5:1 surround sound. My TV is above my fireplace and I have no space for center channel. I could rig some type of bracket under my mantle to hang from below or place on the floor. It is not optimal for aesthetics and I don't believe the floor option is optimal for sound.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First of all do not put a TV over a fireplace. If you do, you can not use the fireplace. The next issue is the TV ends up far too high. I know this is commonly done, but it is one of the commonest mistakes, and it is a bad one.

The center speaker is quite important unless you have really good speaker that can throw a stable center image from a wide variety of listening positions. An awful lot of speakers are not good enough to do that, and as soon as you get off center the sound collapses to the nearest speaker. The speakers also need good speech discrimination.

The center speaker carries the dialog and so should have excellent speech discrimination without shout. Unfortunately center speakers in my judgement are frequently very poor, as they present challenging design issues.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
The best bet might be to get a VERY good set of speakers for L/R

G

Gabby

Audiophyte
We would like to hang our flat screen TV over the fireplace, but are considering getting a fireplace insert...most likely an electric one.
So my question is...I believe the heat will be less that a wood burning fire place...and we will try to hang the TV as low as is possible...would that work?
Do you see major problem with an elec. fireplace? We really don't have spare wall space to put the TV anywhere else in the room. Another option would be a gas fireplace. My husband is worried about the temperature..overheating the equipment.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We would like to hang our flat screen TV over the fireplace, but are considering getting a fireplace insert...most likely an electric one.
So my question is...I believe the heat will be less that a wood burning fire place...and we will try to hang the TV as low as is possible...would that work?
Do you see major problem with an elec. fireplace? We really don't have spare wall space to put the TV anywhere else in the room. Another option would be a gas fireplace. My husband is worried about the temperature..overheating the equipment.
He should be worried. If you hang a TV over a fireplace, you can not use the fireplace. It has to be a decorative fireplace. Electronics do not like being heated up, and TVs are adverse to it in particular.

N

nacheswheelin

Audiophyte
In a 5.1 center is not something i would leave out. For a good start on your system just run 2.1 svs if you can afford it.

J

johnlooes

Audiophyte
Thank you for your responses. I love the TV above my fireplace. I had my previous TV above the fireplace for about 7 years. Decided to go larger and move plasma downstairs. Exterior stays room temperature. Keep the chimney clean for good draft. I agree its a little high, but light the fire and kick back the recliner and its very enjoyable and a cold winters night.

What do you consider a good pair of speakers for 2:1? How about the Klipsch Reference II series? I can't fit much bigger due to windows on either side of fireplace. Unfortunately, the house was built before the AV system was installed, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis