J

Jack N

Audioholic
I’m in the process of building a dedicated home theater. One of the problems I’ve run into is which style of speaker to use for the in-ceiling Atmos & DTS-X speaker configurations.

I was going to use ported center channel speakers mounted up into the floor joist area with the faces pointed downward. Once the sheetrock is up, the entire speaker would be hidden except for the grilled face. The reason I wanted to go this route is for 1) A little better bass response 2) Timbre matching the actual center channel speaker 3) Don’t have to worry about people in the second row hitting their heads on the speakers 4) Appearance. However it’s been pointed out to me that this may not be the way to go because of the lack of coverage area, and distorted off-axis sound to those sitting in a different row. So my next choice is to use V shaped bi-polar surrounds mounted to the ceiling. This would certainly cure any coverage and off-axis problems, but because you really can’t mount these up into the joist area, they’d be hanging down where people could hit their heads on them, or possibly end up in the field of view. They also don’t have as good of a frequency range because they aren’t ported, although they would match the side surrounds.

I really don’t care much for the sound from speakers made specifically for in-wall/in-ceiling mounting so I’m not considering that route.

I don’t have much room for angling the center style speakers so I’d still have the problems I mentioned. So I’d like to hear some thoughts on my dilemma, or other suggestions if you have them.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Could look into front/rear height positions instead of top front/middle/rear. You can use bookshelf speakers mounted high on the front wall which is out of the way from people hitting their heads. These speakers point forward/back but are tilted down a little so they fire just over your head while seated and are above the main front speakers or at +-30 degrees. The rears are placed in the same line. For these to work well you really have to check the angle from primary listening position to the top corners of your front and back walls. You can also bring these speakers off the front/back wall along the ceiling as long as they are less then 1/16th of the room length from them acording to dolby atmos specs. Read page 34 of the dolby atmos home theater guide.

Best bet is to get a tape measure and draw up a side on view of your room to scale so you can measure the ovwrhead angles on paper for your primary and secondary listening positions. Do a top down one as well to get you closer to horizontal speaker angle recomendations.

Also I woldnt worry so much about getting the lowest bass response as you can use the avr to set a slightly higher crossover for these speakers and let your sub fill in the bass. Most of the overhead effects are not going to have a lot of low bass and when they do the bass will probably be going on all channels from an explosion or something which is ideal content to redirect to your sub anyway. This means you can consider the smaller bookshelf that matches your main speakers best.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I went to the Dolby website to look for the guide you spoke of. I must have missed it. Can you supply a link?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis