S

ScKaSx

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I had an earlier post about ceilng speakers for a kitchen and was helped by everyone in terms of the interconnections with my receiver. Now I have an installation question. Btw, the speakers i decided on were the Sonance Virtuoso 831dr's.

As for my question, i was wondering how the speakers are mounted inbetween the rafters. In general, do they need to be supported by anything other than the drywall. Sonance, sells separate flexbrackets that accompany the speakers, but they only seem to be useful for the drywallers as opposed to actually supporting the speakers. Anyways, please let me know what needs to be done/bought to support ceiling speakers. Thanks.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Good choice, I have Sonance myself.

The drywall will easily support the speakers.

S

ScKaSx

Audiophyte
are the brackets just plastic, or do they have metal supports?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Easier than turning 4 screws?
I liked hearing the speakers lock into the brackets as opposed to the screws just sitting on top of the dry-wall. :) Just my preference.

Plus it adds to the healing of own nations economy by purchasing the extra brackets. :rolleyes: Who needs a $700 billion dollar bail out. I'll get the nation spending again.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
speaker brackets

Most of the metal or plastic brackets are intended to be used for new construction before the drywall is installed. The new construction method without the bracket is common and very adequate for securing the speakers in the ceilingYou wont get any performance improvement unless you are installing some type of black box enclosure.

This is not a critical listening application so I would pick the speaker location based on ease of installation and wouldn't wast money on the brackets.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would also recommend against anything else. The speakers are supported, without issue, by the drywall between the ceiling joists. Plenty of strength there to hold a couple of speakers securely.

The speakers themselves have wings that swing out, similar to a toggle bolt arm, which support the speaker in four locations. As well, the 831s have metal brackets which will support the speaker while you tighten down the four bolts which pull the wings against the drywall.

Very easy to install once your hole is in place.

The Dali

The Dali

Audioholic
All of my ceiling speakers simply use drywall screws. You should be fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis