Ceiling Speakers for Surrounds

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Since I upgrade cars and audio so much, I decided to upgrade the house in April. While I have my new basement HT all spec'd out, I have a challenge in my family room.

I didn't realize the price I paid for prewiring included 5.1 and not just the TV, so I have a dilemma

It's a completely open floorplan I am missing one side wall and part of my back wall to make doing wall speakers possible. I am stuck with ceiling surrounds

Approximately 20x19 space with 9ft ceilings

GE Triton 7 fronts, using the Superstat 60 for a center to save space

Where do I place the surrounds in relation to my sitting position
1. slightly in front of the listening position
2. Directly above
3. Slightly behind

Not an expert in this arena, but want in ceilings as I don't want my family room cluttered with speakers.

Any suggestions on placement?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surrounds are normally suggested to be to the side and slightly behind the listening position, and I see this in Crutchfield's suggestions: "If you’re using side surrounds, aim them toward each other. If your speakers' tweeters can swivel, aim them toward your seating position. Your surround speakers should be spaced about the same distance apart as the front left and right speakers. We recommend installing in-wall and ceiling speakers at least 18-24 inches away from an adjacent wall or ceiling."

Are you getting ceiling speakers that can be "aimed"?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Surrounds are normally suggested to be to the side and slightly behind the listening position, and I see this in Crutchfield's suggestions: "If you’re using side surrounds, aim them toward each other. If your speakers' tweeters can swivel, aim them toward your seating position. Your surround speakers should be spaced about the same distance apart as the front left and right speakers. We recommend installing in-wall and ceiling speakers at least 18-24 inches away from an adjacent wall or ceiling."

Are you getting ceiling speakers that can be "aimed"?
I'm doing exactly this, but for full 5.1 since my space in my family room is limited because years ago we decided to buy a gigantic armoire for the 65" Panny. It's nice, but it make speaker placement all but impossible.

My plan is to put the side/surround speakers about 110 degrees to the right and left of the main listening position. From what I've been able to find this is optimal. I can aim my tweeters so that should work just fine.

Hopefully that can work for you as well. I think goldenear has in-ceiling speakers that have aim-able or directional tweeters.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The invisa 7000 which I will use for my Atmos Speakers in my HT basement, have the angled tweeter which could work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis