CEDIA 2006 Show Coverage Official Forum Thread!

I am most interested in news of...

• 1080p DLP or LCD projectors

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Flat panel displays

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • New receivers/processors/amplifiers

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Subs & loudspeakers

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Media PCs or gadgets

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Blu-ray/HD-DVD

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Other (please post below)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
He's pulling a suitcase. Man, look at those forearms. Gene's in the wrong biz. He should be starting for the Steelers tonight as linebacker.
Ohhhhhh, Hahahahaha! Whoops!

WHERES THE ENERGY COVERAGE!? :D

SheepStar

M

MAX661

Audioholic
gene said:
No the current 5805 cannot be upgraded to all of the new updated the 5805CI will have:
you say the 5805 cannot be upgraded to ALL of what the CI model has, what will you be able to upgrade it to?

And also as far as I can tell by the 5805CI write up the only main differences are the XM radio and the Audessey upgrade. Is there any specific reason why the audessey upgrade cannot be implemented into the older 5805?

Thanks for your time gene...

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Any clue why Paradigm refuses to play with Audioholics

Gene,

On a serious note, your website has sufficient readership to wonder why on earth Paradigm would be so, what would the right word be-uppidy? They gather fine reviews in most of magazines and on other web sites. Any idea why Audioholics is being snubbed?:confused:

P

pocketchange

Audiophyte
how about a new blade... Panasonic

For the 8UK Series to drive 1080P (cheap as I am)
pc

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
you say the 5805 cannot be upgraded to ALL of what the CI model has, what will you be able to upgrade it to?

And also as far as I can tell by the 5805CI write up the only main differences are the XM radio and the Audessey upgrade. Is there any specific reason why the audessey upgrade cannot be implemented into the older 5805?
No the 5805CI has upgraded memory added to it to handle the new Audyssey features. I know its kinda a bummer for those who already purchased a 5805 :mad:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

On a serious note, your website has sufficient readership to wonder why on earth Paradigm would be so, what would the right word be-uppidy? They gather fine reviews in most of magazines and on other web sites. Any idea why Audioholics is being snubbed?
I think it has mostly to do with their Marketing Director and not the company as a whole. He made implications to us that they only acquire reviews from publications that they advertise in and that they expect to take our reviews after they are done, reformat them and publish them on their website like they do with others. We don't play by their rules so there you go.

It was very obvious however that they did NOT want public attention to their booth as indicated by the "Invitation Only" sign at their entrance. They were the ONLY manufacturer that required an invite to visit at a public trade show. Very odd indeed.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
He's pulling a suitcase. Man, look at those forearms. Gene's in the wrong biz. He should be starting for the Steelers tonight as linebacker.
Not quite but thanks for the compliment. You should have seen me 30lbs and 5 years ago when bodybuilding was as much of a passion of mine as audio. Its so hard to build muscle (at least for me), but so easy to lose it :confused:

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Sheep said:
WHERES THE ENERGY COVERAGE!? :D

SheepStar
I've visited the Energy booth at two CEDIAs and a CES in my short stint with Audioholics. Two things have been true - 1) I didn't notice anything new 2) I couldn't get someone to talk to me if I was on fire. I'd love to cover them but I can't if they won't talk to me.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Tom Andry said:
I've visited the Energy booth at two CEDIAs and a CES in my short stint with Audioholics. Two things have been true - 1) I didn't notice anything new 2) I couldn't get someone to talk to me if I was on fire. I'd love to cover them but I can't if they won't talk to me.
Oh.... they didn't even display the new flat driver subs? That's pretty weak. I'd expect them to be more courteous then that.

SheepStar

majorloser

majorloser

I love to hear something about new Canton products or maybe a review of the new HSU mid-sub.

J

Jim E.

Enthusiast
gene said:
No the 5805CI has upgraded memory added to it to handle the new Audyssey features. I know its kinda a bummer for those who already purchased a 5805 :mad:
All may not be lost if there were some way of connecting an external equalizer to the 5805. I am not sure if there is however. :confused:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Did anyone catch the demo at the JL Audio booth? They're supposed to have six of their Fathom sub's running in parallel, and truely a sight to see and hear. I guess they are giving new meaning to the term HT sub.

Here's some new video from the website (at least new to me ;) ). The short video on amplifier technology is unreal - what they're claiming to deliver to their Gotham sub.

http://home.jlaudio.com/multimedia_pages.php?page_id=15

Last edited:
G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Anyone know for sure if the improved 31.5Hz YPAO system in the new Yamaha receivers allows for manual adjustment of the parametrics down that low? Do you get PEQ that low on all channels or just the LFE? Seven PEQ bands on the LFE?

This is based on the assumption that the 'automatic' part is still a work in progress :)

Buckeyefan 1 said:
Did anyone catch the demo at the JL Audio booth? They're supposed to have six of their Fathom sub's running in parallel, and truely a sight to see and hear.
We didn't need to visit the booth, you could hear it from several booths away... I can't tell you if they value quality or not, but LOUDNESS is certainly on their list of priorities.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Yancy said:
What hardware was used in the Dolby TrueHD demo?
http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/DolbyTrueHD.php

Looks like a Denon ?model 3806, which is sitting on a ??, and what is the box sitting on the nearby table?

I guess my question is: If HDMI 1.3 is required for Dolby TrueHD, how was the signal supplied to the reciever, or was a new upcomming model or modifed reciever being used.

Thanks,

Yancy
Direct from Craig Eggers who conducted the demo:

In order to create a smooth and linear demonstration beginning with Dolby Digital Plus selections and finishing with Dolby TrueHD selections, (((and maintaining full integrity of content as represented thoughout the demonstrations) )) we first encode and then decode source content in the format we are demonstrating (Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD). The decoded audio content is then laid off to PCM and stored on a Tascam 2424 HDD.

We come out of the server as Lo Z line level audio (XLR)---this is converted to line level audio (in the small Tascam rack unit) 5.1ch Line level outputs (rca connectors) from the Tascam rack unit are connected to the external audio inputs on the Yamaha receiver. Playback audio gain is controlled by the Yamaha receiver master volume.

High Definition Video (encoded in MPEG2) is sourced from a computer equipped with My HD. The computer is on the left side of the image, and the Tascam server with audio content is on the right side of the image.

Below the stack is a Monster Power conditioner
They used Def Techs as their speakers.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
ggunnell said:
Anyone know for sure if the improved 31.5Hz YPAO system in the new Yamaha receivers allows for manual adjustment of the parametrics down that low? Do you get PEQ that low on all channels or just the LFE? Seven PEQ bands on the LFE?
Didn't have to give up my personal info to download a yamaha manual last time...

Per .pdf 2700 manual, on the PEQ on any channel, only two bands operate below 198.4 Hz. And on the LFE channel, only those two bands operate!

Looks like SMS-1, Behringer, Rane, Meridian et al. safe for another year :(

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Was there a ps3 there at all? I've seen the ad for it in the banner at the top of the page as part of the CEDIA ad. I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.:mad:

davo said:
Was there a ps3 there at all? I've seen the ad for it in the banner at the top of the page as part of the CEDIA ad. I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.
Yes, it was behind glass and disconnected... Talk about a let-down... Sony is playing this one close to its chest for a bit longer it seems.

U

uzun

Enthusiast
Did NAD show the T175 surround sound preprocessor at the show? That was certainly more newsworthy than the M15 if it was there, it apparently will have Audyssey MultEQXT room correction and HDMI audio processing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis