G

Georgie

Audiophyte
Hello gents,

This is my first post on this forum, I'm George (42) and I life in Tasmania.

I'm after another cd player, and I like an objective opinion from someone who doesn't make money of me. ;)

I've got a Rotel (RA870bx) amplifier and a Philips CD930 cd player, home made speakers with dual cables and some home made interlinks, made frome computer wires.
It sounds good! Better as the expensive stuff sold at Harvey Norman.

Although the set sounds good, with some music it sounds a little messy.
I think the cd player might be the cause of that, therefor I'm looking for another cd player.

The question, what cd player sounds better as my good old reliable Philips CD930?

I had a look on the internet, that's how I ended up here, I did notice that a few brands use Philips tecnique/parts.
There's a lot on the internet, and that doesn't make it easier.

I know that a lot of people don't take the Philips cd players very serious, are there people who can give me information from experience, not from prejudice?

Thanks

Please forgive me if me English is a little dodgy, English isn't my mothers tongue.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When you say "some music", it makes me question the quality of the original recording.

Unless there's something drastically wrong with your CD player, I doubt that's the cause of your complaint.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Does this issue happen with all sources? Or just when using the CD player? I would try with another source if you haven't yet.

G

Georgie

Audiophyte
I have the cd player connected on the cd input and plays through the cd direct.

It sounds a little messy with some music, not all, never thought of it that it could be the recording.
Gold dust woman from Fleetwood mack can sound a little messy, but Ramstein sounds good, and that is usually the kind of music you can test your set.

G

Georgie

Audiophyte
Oh tyhjaarpa, I read your reply again, um, the other source is just a dvd player and tv, that sounds ok, but you can't compare that with the music what I play with the cd player..

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Recordings have quite big difference in quality, some are master pieces and some are quite crappy.

Play same CD with both cd player and dvd player and see how it goes. Should sound messy in both cases, if it only sounds messy on your CD player then you have problem with your CD player.

G

Georgie

Audiophyte
DVD player sounds like crap in comparison with cd player.
It doesn't sounds real messy, I just want it to be a little bit better.

S

sterling shoote

I don't think you have any problem with your CD Player. I think a replacement would get the same result. As alluded to by others, the recordings could be suspect. Also, your amplification/speaker design could promote "messy" for a multitude of reasons, especially when forced to deliver full frequency. This is why a single sax, guitar, piano, or vocal will always sound great while full orchestras sound less detailed. One day, perhaps, if technology permits, we will all have affordable 120 channel hi-fidelity systems. And, then even full orchestra music will sound awesome if properly mixed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
DVD player sounds like crap in comparison with cd player.
It doesn't sounds real messy, I just want it to be a little bit better.
I doubt it, unless you have a totally junk DVD player. I have a lot of transports, and none sound different from the others be they CD, DVD, BD or universal players that play everything including SACD. My computer disc player also sound fine.

Changing your CD player will change nothing. You CD player belongs to a long classic list of CD players that have used the swing arm transport. Your version has the CDM 9 transport.

With respect, you seem to have formed some very strange ideas, and have already given wrong advice to a member here. Cables, plugs and speaker spikes are not going to do what you say. Such a concept is preposterous.

The fact is that speakers and the source, especially the former and its room interactions determine the sound you hear. Changing the rest of the items seldom changes things, except occasionally at the margins.

Now you say your speakers are self built. Where these from a kit, or accepted published design? If not did you model them and how and with what? Do you have measurements? If not then your speakers are suspect number 1 in your problems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis