CD Player Recommendation Requested

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'm thinking about acquiring a reasonable quality, single-disc CD player for a two-channel setup in a small room. I'd accept new or (minty) used, but I want to keep the tariff below 200 bucks. That would likely preclude some of the fancier Linn, and other such units.

Do any of you gents (or ladies) have any suggestions to get me started?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Rj,

Try Audiogon, Rotels can be had cheap, Adcom, and Marantz (can't remeber model) I've seen recently some excellent deals.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Rj,

Try Audiogon, Rotels can be had cheap, Adcom, and Marantz (can't remeber model) I've seen recently some excellent deals.
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, stratman. It feels a little lonely here, looking for recommendations for a CD player.

It seems like all the Audioholics are more interested in putting in 22 pages and 10,000 reads on a Ventwood-troll thread looking for $100 speakers. :(

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Rj

must it be a single disc player. Even for a stereo set up in a smallish room a carousel cd player or dvd player would do. I guess what your looking for hi end sound without the cost and a single disc is the way to go. I think though you might have to increase the budget a bit and maybe look at a used NAD 521.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
billy p said:
must it be a single disc player. Even for a stereo set up in a smallish room a carousel cd player or dvd player would do. I guess what your looking for hi end sound without the cost and a single disc is the way to go. I think though you might have to increase the budget a bit and maybe look at a used NAD 521.
Thanks, Bill. I'll check out the Nad along with stratmans suggestions! I guess it could be a carousel. You're correct...I was thinking I could get a better rig cheaper if it's a single. But you know, that may not be good thinking because of availability issues.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
One would

think that a single disc should be cheaper;). Those electronics guru's though think differently from you and I. All single disc players are considered hi-fi components :rolleyes: .
Good luck, Bill

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Just about any DVD player should do just as well. I see no advantage to having a machine that plays only CD's. Doubtful that there is any improvement in audio quality whatsoever by a CD only player.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Rj,

Any luck? If I come across anything I'll post you.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hey RJ

any luck? I myself have a denon dcm 280(refurb) bought from ebay $140.00 CDN and have been happy with. It has a coax & analog output and the best part it's a carousel player for hrs of music when need be!;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Any luck?

Thanks for asking, guys...I'm sorta taking my time with this. As usual, I'm cheap as an old farmer, and trying to put this together relatively painlessly. The setup is going in my office so I can rock out (as only an ancient dude from the 60's can..;) ) while I read Audioholics' wisdom!

I just yesterday got the new speakers (older ACI's) and receiver (somewhat vintage Onkyo stereo). A good friend has offered an older carousel...I may take him up on it...or trade him an HK cassette deck for it. (Remember cassette decks?! :eek: LOL!)

I did see a nice NAD go on ebay for $157+ shipping...so it's possible to get something nice without breaking the bank, I think. I'll keep ya informed.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
how about Marantz? that may be the one stratman is refering to.

oh, and love the dry wit:
rjbudz said:
but I want to keep the tariff below 200 bucks. That would likely preclude some of the fancier Linn, and other such units.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
no. 5 said:
how about Marantz? that may be the one stratman is refering to.

oh, and love the dry wit:
The Marantz looks good. Nice find, no 5.

Dry wit? (Dry rot is more like it. ;) ) It helps keep the riff-raff away.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
rjbudz said:
The Marantz looks good. Nice find, no 5.

Dry wit? (Dry rot is more like it. ;) ) It helps keep the riff-raff away.
tomato, tomato... :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
no. 5 said:
tomato, tomato... :D
You get as old as I am...it's rot. Definitely rot. I can't even find my damn socks............;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
rjbudz said:
You get as old as I am...it's rot. Definitely rot. I can't even find my damn socks............;)
Age has some credance! I think it's CHILDREN, each one you have and the older they get, you lose more and more cerebral mass;). What???

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
billy p said:
Age has some credance! I think it's CHILDREN, each one you have and the older they get, you lose more and more cerebral mass;). What???
And there you have it! You think you're only donating a few half-pairs of DNA strands. But NO. :eek: They keep sucking the grey matter outta you forever. But I don't know if I ever had enough cerebral stuff to actually call it a 'mass'.

;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis