CD player or Turntable

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
At this point in time all of my music listening I do is through Google Play All Access.
I would really like to get into physical media for some of my favorite tracks though.
As of right now I have zero LP's or CD's to start with so I can really go either way. If I go with CD's I will purchase a Marantz UD5007. If I decide to go with LP's I'm going to get a Uturn turntable, but I have not decided on a phono preamp yet.
Since I only want to invest in one media type it is going to have to be either/or and I am leaning towards to turntable if nothing else because I think it has more style. I think the Large LP's look more attractive aesthetically and will make for better conversation pieces. Plus my wife and love to go to flea markets and antique stores, and the idea of treasure hunting for old media does excite me.
Keeping in mind that this is only going to be used for a small selection of my favorite music, and I am starting from nothing, is there a reason I should opt for a CD collection over the LP??

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'd definitely go with LPs. Wouldn't you rather have shorter playing times, less bass, decreasing sound quality from the inner to outer portion of the disc, mechanical wear, relatively expensive playback systems that vary more in quality, and the need for extra analog gain stages that introduce additional noise and distortion, in addition to the intrinsic distortion of the media which is about 30db higher than a CD's. :) (I'm sorry, 3db, I couldn't resist.)

Of course, LPs and turntables are a hell of a lot more fun than CD players, because there are measurable, audible, qualitative differences between the equipment. Probably not so anymore with most CD players. Many turntables and tonearms are made like jewelry, and good ones make most modern CD players look like cheap junk. Just keeping LPs clean is a ritual. And shopping for LPs is can be adventure, with numerous specialty stores. The local CD stores are what, Walmart and Target?

So what are you really interested in? The best sound or the most fun? Based on your post I suspect you really want LPs.

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Sure I am interested in audio quality... but what good is a hobby if it isn't fun. CD's just strike me as music, nothing more nothing less. While they may be less fuss, so is google music. I want something that is going to be entertaining, attractive, and generate conversation... Thanks for the quick response robinson, that is really all the push I needed... :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I dont blame you, I have a couple turn tables, I have a tube amp, tekton lores speakers {red ones}, and a red project turn table in my bedroom, SURE a pair of sierra 1's with a simple integrated amp, and cd player would sound much "better", but its not the same by any means... PRO-JECT DEBUT III PIANO BLACK TURNTABLE at Music Direct ... If its all about sound quality go with a short signal path, {maybe cd player rite to dac/pre to amps} and a pair of mono blocks, spend a ton of time treating the room, taking measurements, and figuring out perfect placement, ect... If its about having fun, retro aesthetics, and conversation pieces get a colorful turntable, tube amp, some old beatles records, and call it a day... Or do like me, spend 15K on a juke box and build a music only system for every room of your house... 1080juke_zps688644dc.jpg

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Oh I have the luck of having a hoarder grandpa who's hobby was restoring Victrola's, Gramaphones, and other old turntable music systems. He has a basement full of relics in varying condition and many fully restored. I'm going to visit the weekend after next weekend. I will take a picture for you guys. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If it had to be just one I would go with CD. That's like 'it' for sound quality and LP's don't work in cars.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
20 million songs streamed to my phone > CD's for my cars stock audio system.
<3 Google music :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
20 million songs streamed to my phone > CD's for my cars stock audio system.
<3 Google music :)
320 kbps is also pretty good. That was my main concern. I'm not sure if they maintain that on their free stuff but yeah, if your paying they're playing. I don't have a smart phone and I'm too broke to pay attention so for me it's CDs and vinyl. Another reason I prefer CDs over vinyl is the smaller size. I make room for the vinyl but space is a commodity for me. Let me save 3db the trouble of saying that sometimes vinyl does sound better than CD because of the way the recording is mastered.

I'm looking forward to pic's of your grandfather's turntables.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Back in the good old 1990s, Vinyls became dirt cheap. It was great, stopping by the record store on Fridays between classes and finding a gem or 2 on vinyl for $10 to $15 for the pair! At that time, I could find old vinyl for 50% less than the same album on CD!

Well, now times have changed and vinyl is MORE expensive than CDs. Think about how many bargain bins of CDs you see in the stores now, and go check some used CD prices on Amazon!

I "collect" both today. Used CDs are cheaper and have better sound quality. BUT, CD collecting isn't much of a hobby and I rarely keep the CD jewel cases or liner notes, those get tossed and the disc gets ripped to FLAC and the disc goes in a large CD notebook.

Now, vinyl collecting, that's a hobby! Digging through crates and looking for a gem on a weekday afternoon!

So, cheaper and better sound quality and convenience of playing CDs. Vs. (probably) pricier and lower quality and much more hassle of the hobby of record collecting. That's the bottom line that only you can decide which is right for you.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Vinyl is fun and nice to satisfy an audio fetish and make you feel you're actually doing something to play your music but for overall sound, longevity, space, and convenience, CD is the way to go.

IOW, vinyl is like owning a 50's British car: Fun and it looks cool, but a lot off effort an expense for the rewards.

I'e got both but if I had to choose one, it would be CD.

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I dug this image out of an old folder....
In this picture you can see a Victrola, a couple of old gramophones, some sort of horn jukebox, and my beautiful daughter...
more to come...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I prefer tube guitar amps, but there is no replacing the sound quality of a cd over a record. If you can only have one, buy a cd player. Records are fun and provide an enjoyable experience, so pick a few choice LP's and get a TT someday for a b-day gift or something!

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
alright guys decided to post a link to the albun since there are so many images.
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/115850298259243398679/album/6055986764030796081?cbp=6w83wbi9xsx0&gl=us&sview=54&cid=5&soc-app=115&soc-platform=1&spath=%2Fapp%2Fbasic%2Fphotos&sparm=cbp%3D2j8gbpdkze32%26gl%3Dus%26sview%3D2%26cid%3D5%26soc-app%3D115%26soc-platform%3D1%26pv%3Dhi%26pgpnum%3D1
The is actually a picture of one of the first stereos in there "the duplex". the horn that is sitting under glass is one of the first electric speakers made. Some Edison cylinder players... lots of stuff.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself have the Marantz UD5007 as player for my music and movies, nice player. But I will be getting turntable at some point when I have enough room for one. I find vinyls interesting and like the nostalgia they have.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just for the record (excuse the pun) I have many a LP that have played many times, many being over 50 times are over 40 years old and they still sound incredably crisp and clean. The myth about LPs wearing out is just this, a myth. Properly maintained vinyl will last just as long as a CD and remain sounding clean.

To the OP... whether to go CD or vinyl is a difficult question. Going vinyl is going to be considerably more expensive than CD. Vinyl requires maintenance where CDs do not. There is material you can find in vinyl that cannot be be found on CD or in any other digital medium. Vinyl takes up more room than CDs. I use both and still actively buy both media. I don't know what I would choose if I was in your shoes having to choose which way to go.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I am also considering starting to collect vinyl. I have quite a few CD's that are all stored under my basement stairs. I may not have discerning ears, but I frankly cannot tell the difference between a 320kbs Spotify file and my CD's. So I don't use the physical media anymore. I would give consideration to whether you can tell the difference between the two digital formats. Try to do a comparison using music you know. If you cannot tell a difference, then you may not want to start collecting a bunch of CD's that to your own ears sound the same as google play.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I look at Lp's as a music experience, not rushed, you relax and enjoy the music. I use vinyl, CD and hi-rez files, but for the sake of having fun the turntable is what I use to just enjoy music. I can play CD and files anywhere, my home, on my mower, my car, riding my bike, Vinyl it's feet up, glass of wine or a cold Ale and relax.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis