CD or DVD Player Recommendation.

P

Phaze

Audiophyte
I'm looking to upgrade my audio system adding either a dedicated CD player or upgrading my current DVD player, a Denon DVD-2910. The rest of my system consists of an Emotiva RSP-1 & RPA-1 2 channel preamp/poweramp and Paradgim Studio 100 V2 speakers. I have lots of CD's (1000+) plus many DVD-A's and SACD's. I'm willing to spend up to about $750 to upgrade. Any recommendations or suggestions? Thank you for your assistance.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
What don't you like about the current Denon that makes you want to upgrade? Seems like it would do a great job.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The "downstream" components, and especially the speakers, make a vastly larger difference. All reasonably competent CD and DVD players (which I have no doubt the Denon is), sound indistinguishable to me.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
IMO there is no need for a dedicated CD player unless you are hooking it up in analogue mode. If so then I don't know what DAC will please your ears the most or if there is any audible difference at all. If you are connecting digitally Then I would get a Denon or Oppo DVD in the $150 - $220 range. A lot of folks here think the Oppo has excellent good video performance.

Nick

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You might get a minor improvement by going to the 3930 or look for a used 5910 or 5900, but I doubt you will find a night and day improvement over what you have.

Speakers make the biggest difference in what you hear. Room treatments and proper calibration can make a very noticeable difference as well.

P

Phaze

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your opinions and replies. I think at this point I'll just keep my Denon 2910.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks everyone for your opinions and replies. I think at this point I'll just keep my Denon 2910.
Good idea. Not going to get much of a benefit unless you need hi def or a carousel type player.

S

stevo238

Banned
Yes Phaze, assuming you've already done your homework on why you want something new, you'll never get a simple answer to a simple question here. It's always why.... how come...... I think you should try..... all cd players sound the same.....and on and on.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
you'll never get a simple answer to a simple question here. It's always why.... how come...... I think you should try..... all cd players sound the same.....and on and on.
Incomplete information can only lead to misinformation and misdirection. The folks here try to provide accurate, mostly unbiased, constructive feedback. How you perceive it or use it (if at all) is your prerogative.

Would you rather have Phaze go to a forum where he was "reasoned" into spending hunderds or thousands of dollars on an upgrade with margainal benifits?

S

stevo238

Banned
Phaze said he was looking for upgrades. I'm assuming Phaze knows what he wants. I as well asked for CD player recommendations recently and got the same kind of answer. I think the general feeling around here is that upgrading from just a few hundred dollars to a thousand dollars doesn't buy you much of a difference. I say that's wrong. Considering his large CD collection he might want to consider a dedicated CD player with analog outputs, not just digital out. I for one think there is a difference. Will spending twice as much money get you twice as good sound? Maybe, maybe not, but there will be a difference especially with a good analog rig. By the way Phaze, I've heard some DVD players with awful sounding analog outputs.
I keep forgetting this is an A/V site and that some of you folks might have your head in the sand and think that digital playback is the end all be all on a DVD player.

Steve

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Are you out of your mind?

I keep forgetting this is an A/V site and that some of you folks might have your head in the sand and think that digital playback is the end all be all on a DVD player.

Steve

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I do think there is a difference, especially when connected via analog. BUT, the difference between what he has and something that is $100-200 more is probably not going to make enough of a difference to be worth the change IMO.

S

stevo238

Banned
Phaze, if you spend closer to $950 you'll be in good company. There are so many excellent CD player/Dacs out there that fall within this price range. They may not have a DVD player's versatility but I know you will hear the difference. To name a few, Cambridge Audio's 640C v.2, 740C, Rega's Apollo, Consonance CD-120 linear and PS Audio's Digital link III. (Dac) The last one will play anything and everything. At about $300 Marantz's CD-5001 offers smooth and warm sound if you like that. It can compete with the lower tier 640C.
CD playback has come a long way in the last couple of years and I know you will hear a difference. Check out the used players on Audiogon.com.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yes Phaze, assuming you've already done your homework on why you want something new, you'll never get a simple answer to a simple question here. It's always why.... how come...... I think you should try..... all cd players sound the same.....and on and on.
Interesting you still hang out here when this site just doesn't meet your needs. How come?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

. ... but I know you will hear the difference. .
No you don't know that. You are assuming again, and guessing and perhaps imagining this. Wasn't one assumption enough?

S

stevo238

Banned
I assume (there's that word again) that it's still a free country and I can roam any forum I want to as long as I'm a member. Phaze asked a simple question about an upgrade. I'm assuming he knows what he wants. Your assuming he doesn't. I hope Phaze gets something out of all of this assuming (there's that word again) he's still watching. Get off that couch Mtrycrafts!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I assume (there's that word again) that it's still a free country and I can roam any forum I want to as long as I'm a member. Phaze asked a simple question about an upgrade. I'm assuming he knows what he wants. Your assuming he doesn't. I hope Phaze gets something out of all of this assuming (there's that word again) he's still watching. Get off that couch Mtrycrafts!
Sure you can post anywhere. But it is curious that you do since this place seems to be at odds with your needs and positions/

I try not to assume what the poster knows or doesn't know but you seem to.

S

stevo238

Banned
You're too much for me mtrycrafts. Your word parsing indicates you have way too much time on your hands and may suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. I'm sure it's tough living at home.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis