CD/CD-R player(s) Last Position Memory feature

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I should probably post this in the "The Steam Vent" forum but I’m hoping to get a more technical answer here. One of the more annoying aspects of my recent search for a CD/CD-R player, be it a stand-alone or an integrated one in a mini/micro component system, is the lack of the Last Position Memory feature which can be found in simple boom boxes, like my Sony ZS-XN30, or your car CD/CD-R player(s). Simply explained the CD/CD-R player remembers the track time position before being powered off and restarts at that same position when powered back on. I’m assuming, and I could be wrong, that this is a simple flash chip on the control board, that makes note of the position of where the last track played was and restarts there when powered back on. This is an especially useful feature with CD-R disc(s) with MP3/FLAC files, where having 40 to 110 tracks is the norm, and you don’t want to hear the first 20 tracks all over again that you’ve already heard. Yes, some players have a “shuffle/random” track feature but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t hear a track from your last session. It can’t be cost, since how else do you explain the feature being found in my $110 boom box or my $90 Sansa Fuse MP3 player. The only high-end player I’m aware that does have the feature is my Oppo BDP-105 unit but it’s hard to justify the cost to add another one for just a bedroom or kitchen setup.

So what gives? :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
103? :D Seriously though, I can't think of a stand alone CD that I've owned in the last 10 years or so that had this feature. DVD players do it for an obvious reason - resume play of a movie from where you left off and CDs picking up from the last spot is just a bonus. Most CD players on the other hand simply don't have that function built in; not because it can't be done, but because they didn't do it.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Ten years ago it made sense, since MP3 files were not up to snuff in the audio quality department. Now with most people … not here, mind you :) … using CD-R discs is 2nd nature. Network streaming is still a somewhat iffy affair; especially when multiple users are logged in, throw in the wireless devices and the music just doesn’t sound as good to me as a CD-R disc. Even when I have the whole network to myself and I steam thru the 105, the sound quality is still slightly inferior to a disc. You would think the manufacturers would incorporate it into their CD/CD-R players and highlight the feature as a selling point.

Add another $25 to the price.

I’d pay. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis