Cathedral ceilings and surround speaker orientation

F

Firemike82

Audiophyte
I have a dedicated theater room under construction (17'w x 28'l x 10'h) that has a 3 foot knee wall that goes into a cathedral ceiling. I am setting up a 7.2 system, but I'm going back and forth what to do as far as surround placement.

My latest set up has my side surrounds in wall, and my surround backs in ceiling. I will be using dipole/bipole for surrounds. I'm concerned about the pitch of the wall aiming the sides directly at the seating( roughly 45 degree). I also am not sure about using on wall for the sides because with the angle I feel like they will be distracting.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Which speakers are you looking at? If you pick some out with aimable tweeters, I don't think either situation will be an issue. You will still want to select good placement of them because of this, but the highs are really where you are going to get the most directionality. So tweeters that can be aimed in such a way that they don't point directly at you with the speakers properly positioned so you can achieve this, should work.

http://www.speakercraft.com/products/architectural-speakers/in-ceiling/profile-aim

http://www.speakercraft.com/products/architectural-speakers/in-ceiling/aim-wide

http://www.speakercraft.com/products/architectural-speakers/in-ceiling/aim

Last edited:
F

Firemike82

Audiophyte
Which speakers are you looking at? If you pick some out with aimable tweeters, I don't think either situation will be an issue. You will still want to select good placement of them because of this, but the highs are really where you are going to get the most directionality. So tweeters that can be aimed in such a way that they don't point directly at you with the speakers properly positioned so you can achieve this, should work.

I was thinking klipsch r5650-s for sides and r5650-c for the rears. The side surrounds don't have aimable tweeters. Do you think that will be a problem for the sides with the angle of the wall?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking klipsch r5650-s for sides and r5650-c for the rears. The side surrounds don't have aimable tweeters. Do you think that will be a problem for the sides with the angle of the wall?
I think the sides will be fine as they'd be less of an issue than the ones in the ceiling. IIRC, the -C would still work in-wall too. If you have a receiver with auto-EQ, it will also help out with getting them properly adjusted in terms of level and even things out, and even without that, you can still adjust them to your liking with a manual adjustment.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
As long as all speakers for the rears/sides are mounted on the walls you will be fine. I do not think it will be an issue.

F

Firemike82

Audiophyte
As long as all speakers for the rears/sides are mounted on the walls you will be fine. I do not think it will be an issue.
Do you think on wall would be noticeably better than in walls, even if it seems like they are kinda hanging over your head?

F

Firemike82

Audiophyte
J_garcia

Different topic, but how long have you had your Empire, are you happy you chose it instead of something else, and have you had any issues with it. I am all over the place with subs, but always go back to the Empire.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Epik currently having no subs available would be the real issue. I did have the amp die on me but they replaced it. Performance wise I am extremely happy with this sub. There are a few other subs on the market like it now as compared to when it came out when I bought it if you're looking for something now as opposed to when the next Epiks are available. POWER SOUND AUDIO — Welcome

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis