Capital Audiofest 2011

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The other day I stumbled over this announcement for the 2011 Capital Audiofest. July 8-10, Friday - Sunday.

It's local for me. I live about 2 or 3 miles away. I'll probably go again this summer. It would be great to meet up with AH people there.

Last year I went. It was in a smaller place, an old mansion, that would be great for weddings and partys, but was poorly suited for an audio show. Some of the rooms sounded terrible. But it was fun because I'd never been to an audio show, and it was like going to the zoo. Lots to look at, plenty to admire or to make fun of.

So who thinks they might come?

C

Capital Audiofe

Audiophyte
Capital Audiofest

Hope to see you all there. Be sure to check the website for updates. www dot capitalaudiofest dot com or contact m directly at capitalaudiofest at gmail dot com

T

Thetwinmeister

Audioholic Intern
Wow, this seems really tempting! I'm just a state or two away. I've never been to an audio show before... Thanks for the post. I'll keep this in mind and defiantly consider going. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Brief update…

At the 2011 show, Salk Signature Sound will be represented with, at least, the Soundscape 10 speaker.

Also sharing the same room will some new designs by Dennis Murphy, under the new name Philharmonic Audio.

Other speakers that will be there are Wilson Audio, MBL, Polk, Carnegie Acoustics, Sonist, Audio Note, and various odd horn speakers.

See the exhibitor list with links to their web sites.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Brief update…

At the 2011 show, Salk Signature Sound will be represented with, at least, the Soundscape 10 speaker.

Also sharing the same room will some new designs by Dennis Murphy, under the new name Philharmonic Audio.

Other speakers that will be there are Wilson Audio, MBL, Polk, Carnegie Acoustics, Sonist, Audio Note, and various odd horn speakers.

See the exhibitor list with links to their web sites.

"odd horns" are right:

Attachments

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I thought I bump this because this audio show is two weeks away. The list of displayers has grown some. I do know that Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy will be there. Meeting and speaking with them is worth the trip alone. There are likely to be other speakers displayed that are worth seeing & hearing, as well as the fun you can have by browsing at the audiophool zoo.

I'd enjoy meeting any Audioholics people who come. I haven't seen the inside of the hotel, but I do know the Salk display room is the Okeefe suite on the 1st floor. There or just outside it is as good a place as any for a central meeting location. I answer to the name Richard as well as Swerd ;).

If enough people show up, we should go out one evening.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I hope this does a bit better over the years and we get a few more manufacturers there. Add in some of the visuals... While audio is great, most people want some V mixed in with their AV.

I may try to come up on Saturday since I'm just 45 minutes away on the south side of DC.

Would be cool to see ADI or AVAD make an appearance in future years. Perhaps a few more of the local A/V installation companies. I guess it depends on how they are trying to market things. VERY few companies in this area actually support the products which are being represented which can be a bit difficult and limiting if nobody knows where to get it.

Plus, it's very 'top tier' brands (save Onkyo) which is not always my favorite thing to look at. Ferraris are nice, but when I'm actually car shopping, I'm over at the Honda dealership you know.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope this does a bit better over the years and we get a few more manufacturers there. Add in some of the visuals... While audio is great, most people want some V mixed in with their AV.

I may try to come up on Saturday since I'm just 45 minutes away on the south side of DC.

Would be cool to see ADI or AVAD make an appearance in future years. Perhaps a few more of the local A/V installation companies. I guess it depends on how they are trying to market things. VERY few companies in this area actually support the products which are being represented which can be a bit difficult and limiting if nobody knows where to get it.

Plus, it's very 'top tier' brands (save Onkyo) which is not always my favorite thing to look at. Ferraris are nice, but when I'm actually car shopping, I'm over at the Honda dealership you know.
Isn't this for consumers? I suppose I could see AVAD but ADI is far more of a security/alarm company that happens to sell AV equipment because they think they can make a lot of money with it (they charge a lot more for the same products than other distributors and know far less about it).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
ADI sells are sorts of stuff and in the DC area, they are about the only Denon authorized distributor, which I think would be exactly what consumers would want to see. For me, compared to Avad, ADI typically matches pricing or beats it on product.

ADI is HUGE - not that Avad isn't, but ADI carries in stock a lot of cabling and wiring, then has major warehouses that carry Denon, Boston, JVC, Sharp, and other typical consumer products. But, they do focus heavily on alarm and security which is what they are known for.

Still would be nice to see the area distributor reps get involved with their brands at a annual local show. Balaton for example (Yamaha, Planet Waves, etc.)

Just throwing out companies which would be nice to see in effect.

I suppose, depending on the consumer turnout, it would be interesting to figure out how much a booth would be. My experience is that most manufacturers are happy to sell consumers products, but are lousy at delivering integrated system installations, or even proper help for such a concept.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In a few hours I’ll be off to the Capital AudioFest. I’m bringing my camera. I hope to meet some AH regulars or irregulars there. Ask Dennis Murphy or Jim Salk at the O’Keefe room on the 1st floor for Richard. I’ll be around.

BMXTRIX said he may come. You have my cell phone number. Just call me.

As a shameless plug for my friend, Dennis Murphy is launching his own internet direct line of speakers, Philharmonic Audio. These are 3-way speakers that share some design features with the Salk SoundScape models. At the show (in the O’Keefe room) are the Philharmonic 1, Philhamonic 3, and the Salk SoundScape 10.

The web site has all the details of the new Philhamonic Audio speakers, but all of them use the BG Neo8 magnetic planar driver as an open backed midrange. Similar to the Salk SS10, the cabinet for the midrange is open at the back and the owner can vary the polyfill stuffing to adjust the balance between the front sound and rear sound. It combines some of the sound features of dipole speakers, like Martin Logan or Magnepan, with the more traditional sound from monopole speakers that most of us know.

Dennis arranged to have top of the line electronic gear to drive these speakers. He has preamps and amps from Audio by Van Alstine, a FET Valve Ultra+ 550 280 wpc amplifier, and an AVAStar Preamp.

I volunteered to help Dennis move all this stuff to the hotel on Thursday. It was very hot & humid, but with some effort, blood, and sweat (look close on the speakers and you may still see some of that) it took 3 of us with 3 cars to load all the stuff and drive to the hotel without disaster. We should have rented a van. But I did get to hear all 3 speakers as we set everything up. They all share a common "Dennis Murphy designed sound" throughout the midrange that makes them sound wonderful IMHO. The most noticeable differences come in how deep the bass extends, and of course, their finish and appearance. After I get a better chance to hear them, I'll have more comments.

Hope to meet you there :D.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
But I did get to hear all 3 speakers as we set everything up. They all share a common "Dennis Murphy designed sound" throughout the midrange that makes them sound wonderful IMHO. The most noticeable differences come in how deep the bass extends, and of course, their finish and appearance. After I get a better chance to hear them, I'll have more comments.
I spent a good part of Saturday afternoon at the Capital AudioFest, and spent plenty of time with the Philharmonic 1 and 3. I did hear some good speakers at the show, I'll mention them briefly below, but the bottom line is that the Philharmonics were among the best speakers at the show, and were without any doubt the best bargain. I love the sound from the BG Neo8 midrange. With passband frequencies from 650 to 2900 Hz, the mid driver delivers most of what you hear.

The room was large, roughly 25 x 26 feet (nearly square) with at least 9 foot ceiling. With the 200 wpc AVA amp (FET Valve Ultra+ 350) these speakers easily filled the room with sound louder than I could stand for long. I tried ;). Dennis did mention he heard a minor mid-bass resonance to the room all 3 speakers that he doesn’t hear at his home. The hotel floor was concrete and didn’t shake with some deep bass notes like his wooden floor at home. Overall, the room sound was pretty good; some of the smaller rooms I heard other speakers in yesterday did have some serious problems.

So which Phil do I prefer, the 1 or the 3? They really are close siblings, nearly identical twins. The biggest difference is the tweeters, the Fountek ribbon vs. the RAAL. Even with my limited hearing above 15 kHz, the RAALs sounded a bit cleaner. In direct comparison, the Fountek was a little tizzier. Just using these words to describe the difference exaggerates the actual difference I heard. The Fountek is by no means unacceptable sounding, but the RAAL is outstanding.

The difference between the two 8” woofers was less audible to me. I expected to hear a bigger and better bass sound from the ScanSpeak woofer in the Phil 3, as Paul Kittinger’s numbers and graphs for these models suggest. But I can’t honestly say I heard a difference. It may have been the music playing, but I think the less expensive SB Acoustic 8” woofer (in the Phil 1 & 2) did just as well. No subwoofers were used yesterday. Please note that others I spoke with that day said they did hear a difference in the woofers. Who am I to argue?

That brings it down to price. The Phil 1 (Fountek tweeter) for $1600 or the Phil 2 (RAAL tweeter) for $2000. Both are outstanding bargains if a black cabinet suits you. They both sound at least as satisfying as my SongTowers, but have noticeably deeper bass. And they definitely remind me of the sound of the SoundScape10.

Dennis was happy to make one sale on Saturday and three more on Sunday (3 Phil 1s and 1 Phil 3).

Other speakers at the show worth typing about (all prices I mention are per pair):

Transmission Audio – smaller 2-way towers with an unusual dipole ribbon tweeter and 2 aluminum 5.5” woofers, made in Sweden. Excellent sound, cost $6500.

Polk LSi/M – a new tower model, very grainy treble. I didn’t like them.

Wilson Audio – this was my 1st ever chance to hear Wilsons. It may very well be the only time I hear them. They showed a large 3-way speaker (two 8” woofers, a mid, and a tweet in two separate cabinets), probably their top-of-the-line, but I don’t know the model name. It was said to cost $28,000. They were painfully bright sounding – ear bleed, nosebleed, cerebral hemorrhage bright. I had to leave that room soon. These speakers might be better used by exterminators to drive away cockroaches and mice. I thought it was nice for Dennis that the Wilsons were next door to him. The contrast was enormous.

McIntosh – They had a room full of electronic gear with enormous blue backlit power meters, all bobbing to the music. The speakers, a very tall array model with dozens of 2” mids and 1” tweeters were dull and unimpressive sounding. It was a small narrow room.

Carnegie Acoustics – They had 3 rooms with 3 different speakers. All 3 rooms were similar in size to the McIntosh room I mentioned above. Two of their models were not very good, the Pedestále ($2900) was awful in more than ways than one (boomy bass and a nasty tweeter), and the large $6000 CST-2 was only so-so. One model, the CST-1 ($2000) sounded pretty good. It’s an MTM tower with two 5.25” plastic composite cone woofers, and a BG Neo 3 planar magnetic tweeter. Compared to some other much brighter speakers I had recently heard that afternoon, these speakers were more laid back. They may have been a bit recessed in the upper midrange/lower treble. Usually this kind of response, a sin of omission, is easier on the ears than an obvious sin of commission (like the nasty sounding Pedestále). Later, I mentioned this speaker to Jim & Dennis and they said these speakers were designed by someone they know well who shall remain unnamed on line, and are meant to directly compete with the SongTower. They come only in glossy black. A direct comparison between the CST-1 and ST would be interesting, but I will make a guess that such a comparison might reveal a recessed upper midrange in the CST-1.

AudioNote – These are well known British 2-way speakers that I enjoyed, the AN-E model. I had known the name but never heard them before. They seem to defy a lot of commonly held speaker-making conventions. They have an 8” woofer and 1” dome tweeter in a large ported cabinet with a wide (at least 12” wide) front baffle. They are meant to be placed as close to room corners as possible. Their crossover point is said to be 2000-2200 Hz. That is somewhat high for an 8” woofer, but it did not sound to me like it had an obvious hole-in-the-middle. Again, this was in a narrow hotel room with reflective side walls. They were laid-back sounding, but not bass heavy. They are sensitive (an 18 wpc tube amp was used) and cost $16,000! I doubt if I would want to own them, but I did enjoy them.

Joseph Audio – I have heard several Joseph Audio models before and like them a lot. Their sound is closer to the Salk/Murphy sound than any other commercially available speaker I’ve heard. Today they played the new Perspective, a 2-way tower (MMT) with two SEAS W15 (or W16?) woofers and a SEAS Millenium tweeter - $11,800! A smaller bookshelf MT version with these same drivers, the Pearl, cost $7600!! These drivers are of course very similar to the SEAS W18 in so many Salk models, HT1, HT2, and HT3. What a good bargain Salk is in comparison!

Border Patrol Audio – These are medium sized MTM speakers that sounded good. I didn’t recognize the make of the woofers or the fabric dome tweeter. I didn’t spend much time there, as it was getting late and I was getting tired of listening and trying to be observant. I don’t know their price, but the room was full of very expensive looking toob amps. I later looked them up and found that they use ScanSpeak drivers and this MTM model cost over $7000.

Tidal – This was the last room of the day for me, but I spent more time there than I though I would. These speakers, Tidal DiaCeras, are MMT towers that sounded very good. (Dennis later told me he was unimpressed by their sound.) The drivers are the 6.5” ceramic coned Accuton woofers and the tweeter is the Accuton inverted dome “diamond” tweeter. I know that Accuton is made in Germany and is very very expensive, and I learned that the Tidal speakers are also made in Germany, probably in close collaboration with Accuton. I enjoyed their sound a lot. And now the price (take a seat) $37,700. If I chose to get the same drivers and cabinet type with less expensive crossover parts (and perhaps less elaborate cabinet construction), the Tidal Ceras, the price drops to $24,000. They also had some bookshelf MT speakers for $19,000. These make the Joseph Audio speakers seem like a bargain.

Matt34

Matt34

A "Poorman's" version of the Soundscape....count me in as interested.;)

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I went around with Rich and generally agreed with him on what we heard. He kindly left out some of the spectacularly bad horn systems we heard. The Phils are exactly as Matt said, a poor man's $10,000 Salk (which is fabulous) with less craftsmanship in the cabinetry. They still look better than most including my own. They do not need a subwoofer. Regarding the Wilson's, that is sadly closer to their entry level than their top end. I also heard them once in a treated display room and they were just as awful.

So Rich, let's see the pics! Especially the one with me next to that humongous horn!:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My camera batteries went bad when I was at CAF and I haven't recharged them yet. In the meantime, here are web links with photos of the speakers I mentioned

Philharmonic Audio & Salk
Philharmonic 1 $1,600
Philharmonic 3 $2,800
SoundScape 10 $10,000

Transmission Audio
Mk 2 Floorstanding speakers - $6,500-$7,300 (I heard these)
M1i Monitors - $4,500-$5,000
I don’t know if the Mk 2 has transmission line bass alignment, or if they merely use that as a name.

Polk LSi/M
I think I heard the LSiM 707 but it might have been the 705.

Wilson Audio Sasha W/P

McIntosh XRT1K

Carnegie Acoustics
CST-1 $2000 (I liked this one)
Pedestále $2900
CST-2 $6000

AudioNote AN-E
I think it was either the AN-E/LX Signature or the AN-E/SE Signature. You can see near the bottom of the page that there are numerous versions of the AN-E model.

Joseph Audio
Perspective $11,800
Pulsar $7600 (in my earlier post, I mistakenly called these the Pearl)

Border Patrol Audio
I don’t know which model I heard, the OBX-R2 ($7250), the IBX-RW ($9500), or the OBX-RW ($10,900). I’m guessing that they showed their most expensive model.

Tidal
Scroll down to see the Cera and Diacera. They look the same.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Hey Richard,

Were you there Saturday?

I am sure I saw you if you were. Couldn't get out of the Salk/Dennis room.

I did see a few other speakers, including the (Odd horns)!! This was my first Audiofest!!!!

Very happy that Dennis did good in his sales. Had not heard the Philly III (the pair I decided on), just the I, however, I was impressed with the III, but the I really shined.

And the SSs they were simply the BEST, Jim and Dennis are such a team!

Thanks for a great thread,

R

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
Cool, thanks for sharing and the pics, wish I could have been there, sounds like it was fun!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Richard,

Were you there Saturday?

I am sure I saw you if you were. Couldn't get out of the Salk/Dennis room.

I did see a few other speakers, including the (Odd horns)!! This was my first Audiofest!!!!
Yes I was there most of Saturday afternoon until closing, but not always in the Philharmonic/Salk room. I'm 6 ft tall, mostly bald with my remaining hair grey/white, and a mustache of similar color. I wore a red shirt and khaki shorts. I probably saw you there too. Its hard to identify people that you only know through the internet. You can be in the same room and never know it.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Yes I was there most of Saturday afternoon until closing, but not always in the Philharmonic/Salk room. I'm 6 ft tall, mostly bald with my remaining hair grey/white, and a mustache of similar color. I wore a red shirt and khaki shorts. I probably saw you there too. Its hard to identify people that you only know through the internet. You can be in the same room and never know it.
Hey Richard,

Yup I think I remember seeing you, I was in the back, of course, talking to Alex....(Adydula). Seems we all suffer the inherited hair loss.

Seems we share our two channel listening room as well with the caow1s. Dennis made mine. Don't think I have enjoyed anything more!!! I have them driven with a HRT music streamer II, tube amp, and couldn't be happier. Just finished the Rythmik direct servo for the theater, when soon the phillys will join the mix with a center.

Jim's speakers are stunning and the SSs are amazing just amazing. I can't say enough about the Salk/Dennis combo. I have no need to look elsewhere.

Robert

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis