cant decide....emotiva/anthem/rotel

M

mikeanderson10

Audiophyte
Hey guys, please help me out here since I have been having this dilemma on which to choose.

I currently have the Bowers and Wilkins CM 5 (B&W). I am doing only a stereo 2 channel setup. So I am considering separates and am stuck between these choices.

Emotiva (Either the 2 UPA-1 monoblocks, or one UPA-2 or one XPA-2, & most likely their usp-1 preamp)
Anthem- (Their Integrated 225 model or the MC-20 amplifier with any pre-amp)
Rotel- (The combo would be the RB-1562 with RC-1550)

or is there any preamp/amp combo that would out-do any of the above 3 options for 1500-2000 ? (inclusive of both preamp and amp)

I can't decide which of the above 3 would make the CM-5's sound the absolute best.

People please please help out, thank you so much

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking to set up a vintage McIntosh two channel setup that should fit within that price range. If it has to be new equipment, my money is on the Rotel.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey guys, please help me out here since I have been having this dilemma on which to choose.

I currently have the Bowers and Wilkins CM 5 (B&W). I am doing only a stereo 2 channel setup. So I am considering separates and am stuck between these choices.

Emotiva (Either the 2 UPA-1 monoblocks, or one UPA-2 or one XPA-2, & most likely their usp-1 preamp)
Anthem- (Their Integrated 225 model or the MC-20 amplifier with any pre-amp)
Rotel- (The combo would be the RB-1562 with RC-1550)

or is there any preamp/amp combo that would out-do any of the above 3 options for 1500-2000 ? (inclusive of both preamp and amp)

I can't decide which of the above 3 would make the CM-5's sound the absolute best.

People please please help out, thank you so much
To me, they will all do the job as long as they provide adequate power to your CM-5s. Base on the specs, any 120W into 8 ohms and say 180W into 4 ohms capable amps will be enough for them, more is almost always better as long as you don't drive them beyond their limit. The XPA-2 gives more watts/$ and more future proof for sure, assuming they are as reliable as Rotel and Anthem. Is the Rotel class D? Not that there is anything wrong but it is good to know.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Depends on how you listen to your system. If you listen @ low levels quite often, an amp that has Class A operation would be best. Emovita would not be the choice here.

Or, being HK is closing out its top-o-line AVR, 7550HD for around $700~800, might be the current best bang for the buck, or HK3490 stereo receiver, with 120w, which is more like 160~180w of other brands.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMO Emotiva is no doubt best bang for the buck. No question from me.

But there are various reasons for choosing different amps.

For example, the ATI amps (AT2000s & AT3000s) are fully balanced from input to output, while Emotiva amps (except the XPA1) are not fully balanced.

http://classicaudioparts.com/store/ATI-2000-Series-Amplifiers.html

Practically all amps have fuses. The ATI amps are "fuse-less". They have something like a circuit breaker. In case of overload/protection, you just have to "reset" the breaker, instead of replacing a blown fuse like most amps.

ATI, who also owns Theta Digital, has been making amps for "over half a dozen" companies like Lexicon, JBL, Mark Levinson, Earthquake, Outlaw, etc.

ATI amps are made in California, USA.

Emotiva amps are made in China.

But as PENG, others, and you already, all these amps will work just fine as long as the power output fits your requirement.

To me personally, Emotiva amps are value/budget amps with very good build-quality and performance/measurements that sound great.

If you want higher prestige, fit and finish, build quality, etc., you may want to look into Parasound, Anthem, Rotel, ATI, Sunfire.

Of course, we are not talking about higher-end and more prestigeous amps like Bryston, Krell, Mark Levinson, and McIntosh.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
To make your CM5s sound their absolute best, I would sell them and buy a different pair of speakers. :D

But if you must, I think a 300w emotiva XPA-2 would be all you need.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis