Can't connect Panasonic BD65 to internet

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The router's address (192.168.2.1) is the default gateway and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 which means it will assign IP address between 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.255. As you can see all devices connected to the router have IP addresses that start with 192.168.2.

The last screenshot, which I assume is the BD player setup screen, shows an IP address of 169.254.36.174. The router did not assign that address. It is a Windows Private Addressing assigned IP address and is likely the default setting for the BD player.

You may have to change the settings manually. Change the default gateway to 192.168.2.1 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and it will see the router. If the router can then assign it an IP on the 192.168.2 subnet then it will work. If it still doesn't do it, then manually enter an IP address of 192.168.2.x where 'x' is any number that is not shown in the connected devices list (any number other than 1, 2, 5, 9, 10).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Reset the router and started from scratch and I still can't connect the bluray or sat receiver. Im not sure why the sat receiver is not connecting anymore. Anyway, I tried these steps on this website and it did not work either.

Here are my settings of my router and bluray player. One of the pics shows everything connected to the network. Im guessing the ones labeled with numbers and letter are the bluray and sat receiver. Thanks again for any help.

Your client list doesn't show the BD player at all.

Go into your Function Menu and scroll down to 'Other Functions', then click on 'Setup'. Scroll down to 'Network' and click on that. Look at LAN Connection Mode- it should show 'Wired'. If it doesn't, click on that and you'll have the option for Wired or Wireless. Click on whichever applies, but for the initial setup, I would go with wired. Click on Return and scroll down to IP Address/DNS Settings and make sure the Auto Configuration settings are all set to ON (there are three of them). Click on Return and don't worry about the Proxy settings unless you altered them. If you have already altered them, click on 'Return to factory preset.

If you want, you can skip all of this and go to the bottom of the Setup Menu and click on 'Others', scroll down to Restore Default Settings' and click on that. Mine connected to my router immediately.

If you haven't done the Firmware Update, do that immediately.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Thanks for the replies.
MDS I tried the following setting:
IP Address: 192.168.2.18
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
After trying that I still get a connection "Fail".

Highfigh, I have tried the auto setup and it does not work.

Any other ideas? I was finally able to get the sat. receiver connected after I rebooted the modem & router.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for the replies.

Highfigh, I have tried the auto setup and it does not work.

Any other ideas? I was finally able to get the sat. receiver connected after I rebooted the modem & router.
And it's set to 'Wired'? That's odd. Where did you buy it? This may need a call to Panasonic's Tech support people. I have found them to be pretty helpful.

Did you return it to the factory defaults? If not, maybe that will allow the Auto Setup to work. When you set the IP address and other settings, did you press the OK button?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the replies.
That should be correct. One thing I noticed that I think is odd, but probably has nothing to do with anything, is that in the connected devices list there are gaps in the IP addresses. Usually a DHCP server will assign them sequentially and even remember MAC addresses so if you turn one machine off it will get the same IP again when it is next connected.

Try these things:
- Make the manual changes as above and make sure they are saved by rebooting the BD player and going back into the settings. They should remain as you entered them.

- After you make the changes, see if it automatically changed the DNS servers. They should also get set to 192.169.2.1 (the router).

- See if you can 'ping' the BD player from another computer on the network. It may or may not respond to pings though. 'ping 192.168.2.18' if you set it to 192.168.2.18. Also try 'tracert 192.168.2.18' which will show the hops from the computer to the BD player.

- Check the router config to see if it is set to limit the number of connected devices. By default it usually isn't but you never know. I noticed 'home-pc' is listed twice with two different MAC addresses - is it connected both wired and wireless?

If by chance, the range of IPs the router will hand out is limited, using 192.168.2.18 may not work if eg. the range has been set to 10. In that case either remove the limit or use another number within the range of the devices already connected (ie 3, 4 or whatever where there is a gap in the range of IPs of the devices already connected).

highfigh

highfigh

That should be correct. One thing I noticed that I think is odd, but probably has nothing to do with anything, is that in the connected devices list there are gaps in the IP addresses. Usually a DHCP server will assign them sequentially and even remember MAC addresses so if you turn one machine off it will get the same IP again when it is next connected.

Try these things:
- Make the manual changes as above and make sure they are saved by rebooting the BD player and going back into the settings. They should remain as you entered them.

- After you make the changes, see if it automatically changed the DNS servers. They should also get set to 192.169.2.1 (the router).

- See if you can 'ping' the BD player from another computer on the network. It may or may not respond to pings though. 'ping 192.168.2.18' if you set it to 192.168.2.18. Also try 'tracert 192.168.2.18' which will show the hops from the computer to the BD player.

- Check the router config to see if it is set to limit the number of connected devices. By default it usually isn't but you never know. I noticed 'home-pc' is listed twice with two different MAC addresses - is it connected both wired and wireless?

If by chance, the range of IPs the router will hand out is limited, using 192.168.2.18 may not work if eg. the range has been set to 10. In that case either remove the limit or use another number within the range of the devices already connected (ie 3, 4 or whatever where there is a gap in the range of IPs of the devices already connected).
A router won't necessarily dole out IP addresses sequentially and the DNS in the computer is usually what causes that computer to get the same address when the router is changed. I just had to replace my router/modem (2Wire, started power cycling whenever I had my laptop's WiFi turned on but it worked fine when it was off)- all of my devices got the same IP addresses they had before and I configured it automatically.

He shouldn't need to do any of this stuff- it should get an address automatically and at this point, I would try the BD player on another router to find out where the trouble lies. The steps I posted were from stepping through the menu on the one I connected here and it had no issues once I grabbed a good cable. If the BD player says it can't connect, tracert and pinging it won't work.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A router won't necessarily dole out IP addresses sequentially and the DNS in the computer is usually what causes that computer to get the same address when the router is changed. I just had to replace my router/modem (2Wire, started power cycling whenever I had my laptop's WiFi turned on but it worked fine when it was off)- all of my devices got the same IP addresses they had before and I configured it automatically.

He shouldn't need to do any of this stuff- it should get an address automatically and at this point, I would try the BD player on another router to find out where the trouble lies. The steps I posted were from stepping through the menu on the one I connected here and it had no issues once I grabbed a good cable. If the BD player says it can't connect, tracert and pinging it won't work.
My router assigns IPs on the local network sequentially. I said 'usually' because I don't know every single router out there. You are incorrect though about DNS giving you the same IP. DNS maps names to numbers and vice-versa; it is the DHCP server that assigns IP addresses and your ISP will give you the same WAN address each time because Windows remembers what it was and requests it again if it has not been reassigned. Of course the WAN address is irrelevant to this situation.

It's nice that you have faith in 'automatic setup'. But the answer is never just run the auto-setup and it should work. It may be shocking to know, but it doesn't always work. The troubleshooting steps I posted above are for me to get an idea of what might be wrong. We already know the player is assigning itself a windows private address, which is something I suspected early on. So there is a perfect example of how auto-setup may not actually work if there are already other devices on the network and they are using an IP address in the non-routable IP range - particulary 192.168.x.x.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Finally got it working. I had my modem and router in a bedroom and my TV was 60' away. I connected a laptop with the network cable at the TV and I could get internet access but the bluray could not but the sat receiver could some times. I then move the router next to the TV and left the modem in the bedroom and I could connect but the connection was extremely slow. I noticed in the bluray manual it stated that you had to use shield cable (STP) I was using UTP. It seemed like I might be having some sort of issue with transferring data over the 60' run. I then ran a dsl line from my phone box from the outside of my house to my TV. Next I connected my modem and router at my TV and connected via a 4' patch cable and everything worked. It just took a month but I finally got it working. Thanks for all of your help.

highfigh

highfigh

Finally got it working. I had my modem and router in a bedroom and my TV was 60' away. I connected a laptop with the network cable at the TV and I could get internet access but the bluray could not but the sat receiver could some times. I then move the router next to the TV and left the modem in the bedroom and I could connect but the connection was extremely slow. I noticed in the bluray manual it stated that you had to use shield cable (STP) I was using UTP. It seemed like I might be having some sort of issue with transferring data over the 60' run. I then ran a dsl line from my phone box from the outside of my house to my TV. Next I connected my modem and router at my TV and connected via a 4' patch cable and everything worked. It just took a month but I finally got it working. Thanks for all of your help.
Excellent!

Have you streamed Netflix, Pandora or Vudu? I was watching some videos on Netflix and it was seamless. Pandora and the network sometimes take a while to boot up but once it's running, and it is now (Pandora), it works really well.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
I have streamed Netflix, Pandora and Utube and they work very well. Pandora takes about a 15 sec. pause to load each song though. This may be due to my slow internet connection (1mb/sec). I only have one ISP in my area so I am stuck with them and their slow connection. I could jump up to their 6mb/sec. but they charge around $100/month for it.

E

Elle

Audiophyte
A month???

Hi, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, it's only been a week for me and I feel so deflated. I found this thread because I was googling the exact same problem. I got the Panasonic DMP-BDT 210 with built-in wifi and Netgear N Router. I am getting the same message under the Network Easy Setting - Connection to gateway: Fail. My modem and router are in my living room, and home theater is set up in my bedroom. They are about 20' apart. My wireless works fine on laptop in bedroom, and I use brand new HDMI cables for TV/blu-ray/receiver. I have entered the router passphrase into the blu-ray. After all of your experience with this, I wonder if I could paste my settings on here and see if anything looks off to you? I will do this tonight when I am at home, if this is ok.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine connected fine the first time I fired it up. There is a slight delay with most of the apps on mine as well, but everything seems to work.

highfigh

highfigh

Mine connected fine the first time I fired it up. There is a slight delay with most of the apps on mine as well, but everything seems to work.
Do you start by using the Viera Cast button, and does yours have delays every time? I was using the Function Menu button and started using the Viera Cast button- it seems to be faster.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't recall which button it is, but I don't think it was the Viera Cast button. Will try that next time I am up there.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't recall which button it is, but I don't think it was the Viera Cast button. Will try that next time I am up there.
If the button you start with is curved, just outside of the round Up/Dwn/Rt/Left button, you're starting from the Function Menu. If you see a vertical stack of options at the left side of the screen and need to select 'Network' from that, it's another indication. If you press the Viera Cast button (two buttons below the #9), it goes directly to the screen with BD in the middle and 8 other boxes that you can move once you click on 'Settings'.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it was with the 8 boxes, so I must have used the Viera Cast.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis