Cannot get VUDU audio in soundbar

J

jellybean

Audiophyte
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an LG Infinia 47LW6500 and a Vizio VSB200 soundbar. For some reason I cannot get the audio from VUDU movies to come through the soundbar. It comes through the TV speakers. Also, if I use my Roku box to stream VUDU instead of my TV, the audio DOES come through the soundbar.

I looked up the error code on the soundbar and it says: "If Error A, SPDIF compressed format detected error occurs, configure the DVD player (or audio source device) audio output format setting to PCM or PCM stream. Otherwise, use the Analog RCA inputs from
the audio source to the Sound Bar without configuration of the audio source device."

I use an optical cable, but i have also tried using regular red/white cables and still no luck.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I'm reading this correctly you are using your TV to play the VUDU movies, my answer will be assuming this.

Your TV is trying to put Dolby Digital or DTS out on the optical cable. You need to go into the TV settings for the audio output and (depending upon what the settings look like) change the audio output from something saying "bitstream" or "dolby digital" and set it to "PCM"

J

jellybean

Audiophyte
yes you are reading correctly. However I've already looked in the TV audio settings and don't see any options like that

G

Grador

I just looked at the manual and think I've confirmed that this was not the issue. It's likely VUDU content has audio copy protection flagged. What this means is that it the TV will refuse to put the audio out over anything but HDMI.

J

jellybean

Audiophyte
So you're saying I need a soundbar with an HDMI input?

perhaps I can get an HDMI to optical converter

G

Grador

Possibly, but probably not. In this case you'd need a device that supports ARC. ARC (audio return channel) is a kind of special connection that TV's use to feed audio back over the HDMI connection normally used as an input. Most HDMI converters do not support ARC, and I'm not entirely sure about soundbars either.

J

jellybean

Audiophyte
ok I'll look into that. thanks. I guess there is really no choice but to get a new soundbar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis