Cannot connect to net.....

E

E.J.W.

Enthusiast
I'm in the middle of connecting my new Panasonic BD85 player. I turned it on and it's looking to get a June 7th 2010 update before preceeding. When I say "yes" to update, the screen shows an attempt to connect then says "Cannot connect. Check connection and settings".
Rather than get long winded on everything I've tried, I'll just list a few things that did not help so far.
Ran all the connection tests within player's menus. Player passes all of them.
Tried both wired and wireless. (my desktop and laptop connect flawlessly)
Actiontec router support offered open port numbers to verify. All good.
Panasonic support offered IP address player should be at, correct settings in "network" menu of player. All was good.
Tried different modem (old one prior to modem/router now using) Did not help.
Any ideas?
Thanks
E.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Can you just download the update from the panasonic website and burn it to a cd?

E

E.J.W.

Enthusiast
GlocksRock,
Cool... another "Gun guy". I'm a S & W carrier.
Yes, I tried burning a CD-R disc from the Panasonic support site, player said it was incompatable. Tried a second time just for good measure, incompatable also. Two new blank disc's wasted.
Thanks
E.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure they will mail you a disc, but I know that still doesn't solve your connectivity issue. Did you try conecting directly to the modem, and rebooting the player after you have saved your IP address changes?

E

E.J.W.

Enthusiast
Well.... after loosing about four hours of my life that I can't get back, We were able to determine the firewall built into my modem is (was) the problem.
I spent the first hour on the phone with Panasonic support and the next 90 minutes chatting with an Actiontec modem support tech. The last thing the Actiontec guy had me do was to do a hard boot of the modem. That killed the modem and all of my internet connectivity. I had to go over to my neighbors house and use their computer to chat with Actiontec for the last 30 minutes and tell them now the modem won't even turn on. After all was said I did get an e-mail coupon for a new modem/router for free. I will be doing some research on models later today as I'm limited to Actiontec's products with the coupon.
Thanks
E.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis