Can someone explain Samsung's LCD numbering?

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
From what I can tell, they have LN-S tv's and LN-Ts.. I assume the T series is newer?

Also, I'm looking at 40" models. They have the 404X series, the 405X, 406X, and 409X, where the first two numbers are the screen size and the second two seem to denote different level's of quality (X represents any number 1-9). ie, the 40 and 50 series seem to all be 720 displays, and one or two of the 4090s (LN-T4095D in particular) are 720, but the other 4090s and 4060 series are all 1080.

Other than price, how does one know which is newer and which models are older (thus about to be discounted heavily, and the ones I want to buy :D )

Can anyone figure out their numbering system? Their website isn't much help, either.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, I would call up an online company like buydig (where I got my tv) and ask them which models of the Samsung have been discontinued. They will probably tell you. One thing that I found interesting is many places like this discount the item based on how many they have so when I bought my tv I was able to get the newer version for less than the old since they were overstocked on it.

Another way you can tell is at Samsung's site they have a discontinued model section.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not familiar with Samsung's model numbering scheme but they surely follow the same kind of convention as all the others.

Short of calling and asking for clarification, one way to tell which are the newer models vs last year or soon to be discontinued models is to look at the features.

For example, most new 2007 models will have 1080p native resolution, accept 1080p inputs, and use 120 Hz refresh rate. The prior model might have 1080p native resolution, accept 1080p input, and use 60 Hz refresh rate. The model prior to that would have 1080p native resolution, NOT accept 1080p input, and use 60 Hz refresh rate. See how each successive model adds one more thing that was not present in the prior model?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis