Can I play original Halo & Halo2 on the 360?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to be getting a X360 in a couple of weeks. I remember playing Halo 2 on PC, but never got around to playing Halo 2. I'm definitely going to get Halo 3, but was wondering if there is an Xbox 360 version of Halo2 out there yet.

I've always been an avid PC gamer with nothing but disdain for consoles, but seeing Gears of War last year has definitely changed my mind. I know there is a PC release of GOW coming out this fall with extra levels not in the Xbox release. And I believe the Xbox version of Half-life 2:Episode 2 is supposed to have better graphics than the PC version.

And Im getting tired of always changing upgrading my video card, RAM, CPU etc. Sometimes I just want to know a game will work on my system and not have to worry about constantly upgrading my system every other year.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, the 360 is backwards compatible and you will be able to play both Halo and Halo 2 on a 360. You will also be able to use Halo 2 online functionality on the 360 as well. Think of it as playing the games on a original xbox with a wireless controller ;).

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
The Xbox versions play on the Xbox360. Because these are Microsoft Published titles, they were supported almost right away and supported well. Non-Microsoft titles can run the gamut from unsupported to well supported with a few poorly supported.

The 360 will make the game look better than it would on the Xbox but it's still the old source. I use the component out to my TV at 720p and it looks a lot better than it did from the Xbox over composite.

Jim

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Okay, thanks for the info. I had in my mind and image of me scrounging around and borrowing an old Xbox to play Halo2 prior to geting Halo 3.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The 360 will make the game look better than it would on the Xbox but it's still the old source. I use the component out to my TV at 720p and it looks a lot better than it did from the Xbox over composite.
Even on the xBox itself, component will look much better than composite. On composite you can get 480p at best whereas composite can do 720p or 1080i output on the xBox.

That said, same game via component will look better on the 360 because of the better scaling.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I've found the game looks much the same on the 360 as it did on my old X-Box, both using component cables.

As an aside, composite cables can only supply 480i, not 480p.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
IIRC if composite is being used then there's a good chance that the game is going to be at 480i coming out of an XBox.

Component should allow for 480p [at least] which is an upgrade there and it should also allow for better color fidelity which [to my eyes] can make for a big difference.

Getting H2 in wide screen is a definite bonus on the 360. [H2 wouldn't work in 480p wide screen for all sets on original XBox]

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for all the info.

Do I need to buy a Xbox360 "version" of the Halo 2, or can I borrow a friends Halo 2 from his old Xbox.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
The same version of Halo 2 that works for the XBox will also work for the XBox 360.

BTW: The game that's currently in my 360 is Halo 1. The game 2 titles before that was Halo 2. [Yes I do replay my older games].

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I still have both Xboxes hooked up because some games aren't compatible with the 360. I'm replaying the Splinter Cell games now. I think they are all compatible on the 360 but I am just using the old Xbox.

I guess I played the hell out of them but one reason I kept the Xbox around was for the Star Wars KOTOR games which are technically supported by the 360 but technically suck on the 360. Also, Deus Ex Invisible War still isn't supported.

Jim

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Thanks for all the info.

Do I need to buy a Xbox360 "version" of the Halo 2, or can I borrow a friends Halo 2 from his old Xbox.
There is no "360" version of the 1st 2 HALO's. They are both backward compatible with the 360 and are both XBOX 1 games. They both can be played online (XBOX Live), and as a matter of fact, until Gears of War came out, HALO2 was the most played game on XBOX Live, regardless of the console (360 or XB1) being used. In other words, you can borrow your freinds HALO 2 disc and play it on your new 360 with no problem.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Okay, thanks for the info. I had in my mind and image of me scrounging around and borrowing an old Xbox to play Halo2 prior to geting Halo 3.
Just a suggestion, but you may want to try out Gears Of War, maybe rent it at Blockbuster or borrow it from a freind. It was designed to take full advanatage of the 360's HiDef capabilities. The grahics are amazing, as well as the sound, and the gameplay is also pretty amazing. It will give you a good idea, visually and sonically of the upcoming HALO 3.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Just a suggestion, but you may want to try out Gears Of War, maybe rent it at Blockbuster or borrow it from a freind. It was designed to take full advanatage of the 360's HiDef capabilities. The grahics are amazing, as well as the sound, and the gameplay is also pretty amazing. It will give you a good idea, visually and sonically of the upcoming HALO 3.
I think that Gears of War will give you a good idea of what the 360 can do.

I doubt that it will give you a feel for what Halo 3 will actually look like though because they use different visual styles in their presentation.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you want to see some of the graphical power of the 360, play Bioshock, it's awesome!

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
If you want to see some of the graphical power of the 360, play Bioshock, it's awesome!
Is the storyline & gameplay as awesome as I hear it is? [No spoilers please]

I'm thinking about picking up a copy tonight for the 360 ....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis