Can I damage my speakers with my setup?

D

DanH12

Junior Audioholic
I plan on upgrading my surround speakers but before I do so I had a question about my setup. I have jbl sat10 speakers and a jbl bass16 subwoofer. My speakers are rated at 8 ohms. I do not know what the impedance rating of the subwoofer is. My receiver is a Sony STR-DE845. The subwoofer is connected to the front left and right speaker inputs on the receiver because the subwoofer has no subwoofer/lfe jack. The actual front left and right speakers are connected to the other set of front speaker inputs on the receiver. So I have two sets of front speaker inputs on the receiver labeled front (A) and front (B) and I am using both (A) and (B) with my setup. I am able to switch my receiver to either the 4 or 8 ohm setting for the front speakers using a switch on the back of the receiver. On the back of the receiver, it says that when using the front (A) and (B) speaker terminals together, the 4 ohm setting should be used if all speakers are rated at 8 ohms. As far as I know, the receiver had always been set to the 8 ohm setting and it was only a few weeks ago that I noticed the warning on the receiver to use the 4 ohm setting when using the front (A) and (B) terminals together. In spite of this, we had always been happy with the way the speakers sounded.

On my receiver there is a knob that allows me to switch between using the front (A) terminals, front (B) terminals, front (A) and (B) terminals together and just not using any front terminals (off). When I learned about the caution on the receiver to use the 4 ohm setting when using the front (A) and (B) terminals together I only used the front speaker terminals with the front left and right speakers connected (front A inputs) and using the 8 ohm setting. This sounded better as the sound coming out of the front left and right speakers was clearer and the treble was quite a bit smoother and not somewhat hurting my ears like had happened before. While still using the 8 ohm setting, I had switched back and forth between the front (A) and front (A + B) setting quite a bit and still found that using just (A) sounded better than front (A + B). I think this is because the front speakers were underpowered when using (A + B) at the 8 ohm setting and when using just (A), the speakers getting just the right amount of power. Next I tried what the receiver recommended and used the 4 ohm setting while also using the front (A + B) terminals at the same time. This time the treble and high frequencies were smoother and not as ear piercing but there did appear to be some clipping going on. I heard some popping/crackling noises and it also sounded like there was a very subtle buzzing coming out of the front left and right speakers. When I switched back to the 8 ohm setting, these noises went away so I figure the front speakers were being overpowered even though the receiver said to use the 4 ohm setting when using (A + B). The subwoofer has its own power supply and I think the 4 ohm setting on the receiver is not necessary because of this. Also, matters are complicated because I don't know what the impedance rating of the subwoofer is.

The problem with my set up is that when I use the front left and right speakers with my subwoofer, the speakers don't sound as good as when I use just the speakers by themselves (front A inputs instead of A + B). This means that if I want to use both at the same time I have to deal with somewhat ear piercing treble coming out of the front left and right speakers and I suspect this happens because the front left and right speakers are underpowered at the 8 ohm setting. I say this because as I explained above, the receiver says to switch to the 4 ohm setting when using the front A and B terminals at the same time but when I do this it overpowers the front left and right speakers. When I use the 8 ohm setting while using (A + B) at the same time, I don't think the front left and right speakers are getting enough power. So if I want to use my subwoofer then the front left and right speakers are getting either not enough or too much power and won't sound quite right. This happens even when I adjust the gain on the subwoofer lower or higher.

I know this is a long post but the problem is complicated to describe. Ultimately I want to know if I am damaging my front left and right speakers by possibly under-powering them using the 8 ohm setting on the receiver and using the (A) and (B) front terminals at the same time? I noticed that my speakers started sounding worse about a year ago and now all three front speakers sound screwed up. This is why I was concerned that somehow my setup could have damaged my speakers over time. I am afraid that if I upgrade I will damage the new speakers with this setup. I was going to upgrade to the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. Those are rated at 6 ohms and that further worries me since my receiver does not have a 6 ohm setting.

All help is appreciated.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Yes and No

I would be more concerned with one fo two things. First, even though that receiver can run an a/b option for fronts, trying to reach the volume levels that most do may possibly damage/destroy the receiver. The second concern is simply sound quality. I cannot imagine that either the subwoofer nor the fronts sound very good in that setup. I would invest in a new sub, and or receiver if that is a possibility. Otherwise, I think you are going to be stuck with poor sound or a fried receiver.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
At least you need a new subwoofer - where you can use
the sub-out jack > and not hook it up with speaker wire.
That Sony receiver can handle the BS22 speakers.

Also, for your info - the sub is rated at 8 ohms.

Last edited:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The way you have it hooked up should work, but since it's not try hooking it up the way it's intended. Instead of having the speakers plugged into the other output on your receiver try hooking them up to the speaker out connector on the back of the subwoofer and see if this is an improvement. If not then I would say there is something wrong with the subwoofer.

D

DanH12

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the help. Recently I had connected the front speakers to the subwoofer through the subwoofers speaker output terminals but this actually made the front left and right speakers sound much worse. More specifically, they sounded much more muffled and I noticed the same subtle buzzing noise I heard when I had the front speakers connected to the receiver using the 4 ohm setting. This improved when I turned the gain down on the subwoofer but no matter what the gain was adjusted to on the subwoofer it still didn't sound right. So maybe there is something wrong with the subwoofer.

If I do decide to get the pioneer speakers, maybe I should just use them without the subwoofer to be safe. If I do get the Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers (rated at 6 ohms), should I set my receiver to the 4 or 8 ohm setting?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If I do decide to get the pioneer speakers, maybe I should just use them without the subwoofer to be safe. If I do get the Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers (rated at 6 ohms), should I set my receiver to the 4 or 8 ohm setting?
Leave the receiver at 8 ohms

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would leave the sub disconnected. It is a quality spoiler. Go without a sub until you get a powered one.

Just use A or B speaker connection not both. It is a bad idea to use A & B at the same time on any device.

the A and B button is just a speaker switch. A & B terminals use the same amps.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
To answer the question in the title of your thread: quite possibly. It sounds like this sub is doing something wrong as there should be no difference in sound quality the way you have connected it. Given the artifacts you're hearing the sub could be providing a dangerous load on the amp, I would disconnect it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis