Can Android Device be accurate in HT calibration ?

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
THis thread was created so to let me and others get an expert opinion of calibrating Home Theatre System (HTS) with minimal requirements for almost free of cost.

Requirement : Calibration (75db)

Application : Home theatre system (HTS) for both movies and music on 5.1 setup

Tools : Samsung S6 , Sound Meter for Android , Measuring Tape.

So guys i want to know if its correct to calibrate the HTS using Android device S6. Are the MIC in Phones accurate and show 75 db accurately?

I tried calibrating the HTS with Samsung S6 but i had to increase each speaker's level to 6 DB. My Samsung S6 Showed 75 DB on each speaker when i raised it to 6 DB at reference volume i.e 0 .
Then on settings on the App i made it to C weighing and also slow mode.

This calibration was done to my sweet spot which is in the center of the screen and room.

The thing is some of us here , im sure most of the people with Budget constraints must be having an Avr just like mine which doesn't have any calibration tool such as the entry level DENON AVR X500. Heck it doesn't even have a MIC port. SO that means i can't use an external mic if i had to.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You might be interested to see this graph showing a measured sweep using my uncalibrated LG G2's internal mic compared to a calibrated Dayton iMM-6 and a UMIK-1. I don't remember how I coerced REW into using my phone's mic as an input device, though. I vaguely recall using an Android app of some sort. Wireless Orange Mic, maybe?

FWIW, if you have Amazon Prime, you might also find Bofinit AudioTool useful. It's available for free via the Underground. (Amazon app, start entering AudioTool into a search. When the suggestion for "audiotool in Underground Apps" appears beneath your entry, tap it.)

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

It’s common for HT enthusiasts to misunderstand what “accuracy” is relating to SPL meters. In the strictest sense, accuracy for a sound level meter means this: if there is a noise source that’s generating at 82 dB, then 82 dB is what the meter reads. It’s as simple as that, and has little to do with frequency response, as many seem to think, aside from being able to accurately track the A- and C-weighing curves (which are NOT flat).

So to answer your question:
So guys i want to know if its correct to calibrate the HTS using Android device S6. Are the MIC in Phones accurate and show 75 db accurately?
Probably not, but it doesn’t matter. The truth is, most budget stand-alone meters are +/- 1.5 to 2 dB anyway, which means they aren’t that accurate.

There’s nothing “magical” (for lack of a better word) about 75 dB calibration. Calibrating speaker levels is nothing more than a relative exercise, setting the individual levels in the receiver so that all speakers are at the same volume level. You don’t need a laboratory-grade SPL meter for that, anything will work.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've used one to calibrate church systems. You don't need scientific precision to level match. Even the ole ears are pretty good at picking out the right levels.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Idk about others but i feel the Samsung Galaxy S6's mic was accurate to 75 db i feel. The test was conducted using the internal receiver's test tone (Pink noise).

Strangely i got a different result with the HTC M9, which showed 75 DB @ even higher Db which was 8 db for each speaker at Master volume set to 00 .

But Samsung S6 seems to be more accurate (6 DB +) really seems to fill my room even with 50 % volume. 8 DB on the other hand would get too loud for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis