CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS PSW II SUBWOOFER II org 700.0

V

vmedia

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am trying to sell this - what do you really think it would sell for now?

CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS PSW II SUBWOOFER II - rare find in great shape like new -- rarely used - maybe 20 hours of total use - was part of a home vid center

sold for 700.00 - whats it worth now in 2003
i have it up on message boards..  

please read the stats an reviews on this amazing Henry Kloss design subwoofer
400 watts

PIC of WOOFER 21&quot; high 8&quot; wide 12&quot; wth 22 pounds
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc.....view=l

Product Model Year:
1998 400 w 120 v

Summary:
This is an &quot;old&quot; model no longer available as &quot;new&quot;. It cost $700 when new, by mail. It was a $600 sub that was sold for $700 because of it's association with designer Henry Kloss. I think a lot of the low ratings it got were because of the price problem. Now that it's a &quot;used&quot; model to buy and sells for under $300, it becomes a screaming bargain if you can find one in nice shape.

Given proper placement (no &quot;in a corner on a hard floor nonsense&quot;) and sensible use of the volume control (some people love to over-drive a sub and they all sound like #### then), it provides solid musical bass down to 30 Hz and it does it reliably (as I say, I've had mine for several years and use it daily). It can't do 20 Hz pipe organs, but then if you want that you better have a huge room and a heck of a lot more money to spend on your sub. We use ours for home theater, too, and it works just great. Overall it's a very nice unit that would keep anyone happy who spent the time required setting it up in their room. My value rating is based on buying one used. (Can't get them new, anyway.)

Strengths:
Quiet (litttle or no 60 Hz hum when idle), ample bass for medium-sized rooms, relatively compact, reliable (no break-down in 3 years home use), good extension.

Some of the reviews:
&quot;Now that it's a &quot;used&quot; model to buy and sells for under $300, it becomes a screaming bargain if you can find one in nice shape.&quot;

&quot;Based on my listening tests at several hi-fi sound rooms, there is no better sounding sub for the money. &quot;

&quot;The powered woofer is just too powerful by itself. In fact, I hear the bass through my walls even at very low volumes. My neighbors sometimes hear it too.&quot;

this is a rare find - and it won't be sold on E bay

vvmedia@hotmail.com -- whats it worth - its in prime condition - if you are interested

I am located in the SF bay area</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I've had the misfortune of actually purchasing some Cambridge speakers a while back, before the luxury of being part of this Internet Site. &nbsp;The Tower II’s came to my home and I anxiously opened them to give a listen. &nbsp;I quickly noticed that the &quot;gut wrenching bass&quot; they refer to was extremely boomy and bloated. &nbsp;I removed one of the woofers and noticed that the entire cabinet was void of any dampening material and there was almost no bracing. &nbsp;The bracing that existed was merely to keep the cabinet together, not prevent vibration. &nbsp;I actually called the company and told them about what I noticed and they had the nerve to ask me if I’m a speaker designer and why do I care about what is inside the cabinet. &nbsp;In other words, they had not rhyme or reason as to why they do not damping their speaker cabinets. &nbsp;If you know anything about making speakers, you’ll also know that there is no reason, other then enhancing the bass response by resonating the cabinet. &nbsp;This is the WORST form of bass there is in a speaker.

To the untrained ear, there is indeed, a great deal of bass coming from their speakers. &nbsp;To anyone with a clue, the bass is boomy and extremely inaccurate.

I don't hold any merit to their subwoofer or any of their products. &nbsp;In addition, over the years, they have become nothing more then a mail order house, and even developed their own version of the booze wave radio. &nbsp;That alone, is enough for me to not even want to review their products.

Personally, I think this company is as much a scam as is booze.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>The first two Cambridge subs were pretty good, the 8&quot; and 12&quot; sealed models. &nbsp;They were both rectangular boxes, tall, narrow and only about ten inches deep acoustic suspension models. &nbsp;I had the 8 incher but exchanged it for the 12&quot; as the smaller one would bottom audible in my system (back then in a very large room playing HT at hi volume-can'f fault a small sealed 8 incher for that!).

The 12&quot; unit was very nice; it would go low with authority and being sealed it was very clean and tight. &nbsp;The downside is that I bought it as a demo at BB; it was very chewed up and didn't work right. &nbsp;The morons at Best Buy &quot;fixed&quot; it several times before claiming that I damaged it. &nbsp;Eventually I gave up on it and bought a pair of Hsu Research TN 1220's with the 500 W amp. &nbsp;These cream the Cambridge in every concievable way, but they did set me back almost $2k.

Never heard the newer ported Cambridges, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. &nbsp;Basically the HiFi.com buyout was a hostile takeover and Kloss was squeezed out. &nbsp;His name was whored out to add legitimacy to the new designs but as far as I know none of them were his work (the subs, I mean).

BTW, I'm certain the Cambridge table radio is a screaming bargain compared to B(l)ose' WaveRadio.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis