Cambridge s70 problem with tweeter

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Hello everyone.
I bought a pair of cambridge s70 about 1 year ago, I have been having them connected to a Sony STR-DB830 receiver which is connected to my laptop.
I can't seem to hear anything from the tweeter even when I put my hear right next to it.
Is there anything I can do to test if the tweeter is blown or something?
Can this be related to the receiver Im using? Or even related to the fact that Im not bi-wiring them?
I don't understand much about audio stuff so I can't really open the speakers to disconnect or connect stuff.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have played the volume really high before, pretty close to the max.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Are the gold colored/plated jumpers in the back, connected and tight under the lugs?

If that's OK.
Take out the tweeter and touch its two leads to a 1 1/2 volt battery and listen for output.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"MAX" volume isn't exactly relevant, what IS relevant is you need to turn it down when you hear the sound getting distorted as that's when you're going to fry tweeters. Pretty much going to guarantee that's what happened.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
J's rite, I am going to bet that at "close to max" that sony is distorting pretty good, and will lead to a cooked tweeter or two for sure... there is a big difference between 200 clean watts and 100 distorted watts, I woud rather have 200 clean through a speaker rated for 100 than 100 dirty...

call up cambridge and get a rma, them tweets are easy to pull...

sadley cambridge can be a little tough to deal with so going through you retailer is best but at a year over purchase you may have a hard time there too...

Cambridge Audio Customer Care Centre

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned that receiver. I can tell you without question, it doesn't deliver adequate power. It does not have preamp outputs to add an amp and biwiring will do absolutely nothing for you.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Are the gold colored/plated jumpers in the back, connected and tight under the lugs?

If that's OK.
Take out the tweeter and touch its two leads to a 1 1/2 volt battery and listen for output.
The jumpers are connected right, I didn't take the tweeter out yet but Im pretty sure it is dead, I will still check it though.

@ J_garcia and ImcLoud
enlight me on this, sound gets distorted when there isn't enough/adequate power from the receiver?
The sound did start to get destorted at around 60ish% power. The speakers are 100watts, the receiver is 120w so I simply thought I was safe when it came to distored sound, I know next to nothing about audio hardware.
I thought this sony receiver matched my speakers perfectly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Distorted sound is NEVER safe for your speaker. The wattage rating on the speaker is unclipped, meaning no distortion. That rating is also the point at which things will fail, not a recommended power level.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
So I guess I killed the tweeters. Is it possible that I damaged anything else or are tweeters the ones with higher risk of burning?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, tweeters have finer wire for their voice coils, so they generally go first, but it depends on the tweeter. In this case, sounds like they went first. If you listen to them and they sound fine except for the highs, then I'd say the other drivers are OK.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So I guess I killed the tweeters. Is it possible that I damaged anything else or are tweeters the ones with higher risk of burning?
Make sure the receiver is off, when doing the connecting/switching

Take the jumpers off - then connect to the L/R bottom terminals
to listen to the woofers.

Turn your volume down - take the cable from the bottom and then
connect to the top terminals and check the tweeters, and be easy
with the volume.

Your old Sony is over-rated and does not have much power consumption.
The specs on the receiver is too optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think ca has weak tweeters, seems I heard about a few of these cooking.

I have a pair of aero 2's, the one time my wife drags me along to a yard sale because I had to pick up a rocking chair I seen the CA box from across the yard.. I walked over a pair of aero2's look brand new and a azur 650a integrated amp, no price tag but they had them thrown on the grass... I asked the women how much and she said it the cd player stopped working so they didnt know if it was worth anything? I said do you still have the cd player? She called her husband over and he said that it was his sons and wasnt that old, the cd player stopped working and he left it there when he went to college this year, he went in the house and came out with the box to the amp and the cd player in the box, he said his sons grandfather bought it for him so it was probably really expensive, and he would sell it all for $75, I gave him $100 and took the speaker stands too...

Cambridge fixed the cd player, I had to pay shipping both ways {bizarre} but no charge for the repair, it actually worked but didn't light the screen up and the remote wouldn't work... I sold the cd player and the amp on ebay, cd player did over $300 and the amp did over $400 both to the same buyer... I kept the bookshelfs because, well I am addicted to bookshelf speakers..

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
well I am addicted to bookshelf speakers..

You and me both brud-Exactly 0 pairs of towers in my quiver.. 9 pairs of books in use around the house though :)
Cheers, Mac

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am seriously addicted to bookshelfs, they just sound better in general, I was always stuck on towers, but the books have something better that is for sure... I don't know if it is a tighter, smaller, cabinet that makes the sound better or what but when paired with a sub they can not be beat...

I still have some towers { evo2-40s, jade 5's, tekton lores, Opus 2-2's. ect} but many more books, probably over 20 sets, although I get and give so it moves around, I am selling my TAD 2201's this weekend a gentleman is coming down from Maine to buy them for $1500, I also sold a pair of Polks recently and a pair of BA's, gave my brother a pair of JBL's I just got, I am just trying to cut everything back to a manageable amount... But I do want to build a different system for my gym, Its a square room so I am going to try to put 5 speakers all around the room and do multi ch. in there, see how it comes out...

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I think ca has weak tweeters, seems I heard about a few of these cooking.

I have a pair of aero 2's, the one time my wife drags me along to a yard sale because I had to pick up a rocking chair I seen the CA box from across the yard.. I walked over a pair of aero2's look brand new and a azur 650a integrated amp, no price tag but they had them thrown on the grass... I asked the women how much and she said it the cd player stopped working so they didnt know if it was worth anything? I said do you still have the cd player? She called her husband over and he said that it was his sons and wasnt that old, the cd player stopped working and he left it there when he went to college this year, he went in the house and came out with the box to the amp and the cd player in the box, he said his sons grandfather bought it for him so it was probably really expensive, and he would sell it all for $75, I gave him $100 and took the speaker stands too...

Cambridge fixed the cd player, I had to pay shipping both ways {bizarre} but no charge for the repair, it actually worked but didn't light the screen up and the remote wouldn't work... I sold the cd player and the amp on ebay, cd player did over $300 and the amp did over $400 both to the same buyer... I kept the bookshelfs because, well I am addicted to bookshelf speakers..
What do you think of the Aero 2?

I have a pair of them right now too... Not bad, but don't live up to the hype for me. Now had I got them for the price you did, I might like them a bit better... ;)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

I have a pair of them right now too... Not bad, but don't live up to the hype for me. Now had I got them for the price you did, I might like them a bit better... ;)
I think the mids are nice but the highs and lows are not up to par with the msrp or sale prices I have seen, there is much better out there for much less, they are on my list to go, but baby steps, baby steps.... They sound better when you get away from them, not a great trait for a bookshelf since a lot of people like to use them near field... but if you pull away from them keep them away from back and side walls, toe in and keep the tweeter ear level they are capable speakers, but need a sub {even when I boosted the bass they just got worse}, when I crossed them at 100 to my sw300's and played with placement for a while I got them good, but they were only on the stands a week before I boxed them up..

I look for something special out of a pair of speakers, I have honestly only fell in love with a few, I really like the evo2 series from wharfedale {diamonds are nice too, but not the same, Opus are also rite there with the evo2's but they are more expensive and normally 3 way}, I like the csb1's from carnegie, they surprised me and for a small speaker throw a huge sound stage in my room, cbm170s have a natural sound that can not be found offensive by even the most critical listener, to name a few there are others over the years but I look for a warm inviting sound with no abrasive attributes.... and it seems like speaker builders are going for the opposite of that lately, brightish, forward, ect I think they want them to seem clear and defined but they are ruining the sound.... when you listen to live {acoustic/unplugged} music being played the cymbals and strings don't blast you through the forehead......

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

You should still while exploring, or on this adventure journey - need to get on the
list for the AAL Monitors - $150 is a good price. Do not be surprised, if that tweeter
beats the Aero BMR. Now if you do not like them, then give them to your father.

There have been too many comments about the somewhat lack of detail and definition
with the BMR driver.

I put my VS260 back up yesterday - as nice as the JBL is - it still can not match the
good, high resolution of the 260

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
You should still while exploring, or on this adventure journey - need to get on the
list for the AAL Monitors - $150 is a good price. Do not be surprised, if that tweeter
beats the Aero BMR. Now if you do not like them, then give them to your father.

There have been too many comments about the somewhat lack of detail and definition
with the BMR driver.

I put my VS260 back up yesterday - as nice as the JBL is - it still can not match the
good, high resolution of the 260
Is Dennis still building the AAL?

I'd say the BMR is not as detailed as good domes (or planar) I've heard... but it's more of a slight hollowness to the sound, and the pumped up low end, that I don't like. My fiance - who seems to be developing a good ear thanks to me always bugging her to listen to whatever flavor of the week speaker I bring into the how - thinks they sound muffled. Some seem to love the Aero's - but for me, they're on their way out the door.

I do miss the VS260 - one of the best I've ever heard. Occasionally, I kick myself for selling them.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I think the mids are nice but the highs and lows are not up to par with the msrp or sale prices I have seen, there is much better out there for much less, they are on my list to go, but baby steps, baby steps.... They sound better when you get away from them, not a great trait for a bookshelf since a lot of people like to use them near field... but if you pull away from them keep them away from back and side walls, toe in and keep the tweeter ear level they are capable speakers, but need a sub {even when I boosted the bass they just got worse}, when I crossed them at 100 to my sw300's and played with placement for a while I got them good, but they were only on the stands a week before I boxed them up..

I look for something special out of a pair of speakers, I have honestly only fell in love with a few, I really like the evo2 series from wharfedale {diamonds are nice too, but not the same, Opus are also rite there with the evo2's but they are more expensive and normally 3 way}, I like the csb1's from carnegie, they surprised me and for a small speaker throw a huge sound stage in my room, cbm170s have a natural sound that can not be found offensive by even the most critical listener, to name a few there are others over the years but I look for a warm inviting sound with no abrasive attributes.... and it seems like speaker builders are going for the opposite of that lately, brightish, forward, ect I think they want them to seem clear and defined but they are ruining the sound.... when you listen to live {acoustic/unplugged} music being played the cymbals and strings don't blast you through the forehead......
I agree there is better out there for less or the same money.

You know - those CSB's have intrigued me. I've held off since I'm so finicky, and I worry it'd be tough to re-sell them if I don't like them.

I never thought it'd be so hard to sell the Jade 1's at over half off... but instead I get PM's/emails asking if I'll take another $75-100 off my asking price. So can't find myself sitting on more speakers right now.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You and me both brud-Exactly 0 pairs of towers in my quiver.. 9 pairs of books in use around the house though :)
Cheers, Mac
2 pairs of towers and 2 pairs of bookshelves for me (also 2 subs).

I spread the love around :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis