Cambridge CXU vs Oppo UHD 205 - Audio

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm looking to buy one source. The universal players seem to be a great fit, but my primary use will be replacing my CD player and the chance to explore SACD and other hi res music formats with my own equipment.

The video part of it is a nice bonus. 4k is a plus, but not a must have for me.

In my research thus far...Oppo's UHD 203 does everything that I'm looking for and it's a shade under $600. I would assume it's audio performance would be equivalent to if not slightly better than my Rotel CD player which in it's day was considered an top shelf unit.

The Cambridge CXU is a 1080p unit apparently a step up from the 203 in terms of audio performance with high performance DACs and DAC circuitry, dedicated 2 ch analog connectivity...$800

Oppo's latest audiophile unit, the UHD 205 also has 4k processing but now using new highly acclaimed DACs in it's audio section, does have wifi...$1300.

4k is definitely not worth $500 to me...what other reason is there to buy the Oppo 205? Is it a better audio performer?

S

sterling shoote

I'm looking to buy one source. The universal players seem to be a great fit, but my primary use will be replacing my CD player and the chance to explore SACD and other hi res music formats with my own equipment.

The video part of it is a nice bonus. 4k is a plus, but not a must have for me.

In my research thus far...Oppo's UHD 203 does everything that I'm looking for and it's a shade under $600. I would assume it's audio performance would be equivalent to if not slightly better than my Rotel CD player which in it's day was considered an top shelf unit.

The Cambridge CXU is a 1080p unit apparently a step up from the 203 in terms of audio performance with high performance DACs and DAC circuitry, dedicated 2 ch analog connectivity...$800

Oppo's latest audiophile unit, the UHD 205 also has 4k processing but now using new highly acclaimed DACs in it's audio section, does have wifi...$1300.

4k is definitely not worth $500 to me...what other reason is there to buy the Oppo 205? Is it a better audio performer?
The reason for an OPPO is multi-channel SACD. I believe that in fact these are the only currently manufactured players which will play multi-channel SACD using analog output. If you have HDMI input on your AVR or pre/pro, you still can get multi-channel SACD from a few universal players which pass PCM or Bitstream audio through HDMI output.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I replied in the other thread. Cambridge does not OEM all of their own stuff, they usually base their models on core components from other manufacturers and change a few things to try to differentiate them from the original. A number of high end companies do this using Oppo internals. That is not to say the Cambridge models aren't good, they are.

2channel lover

I replied in the other thread. Cambridge does not OEM all of their own stuff, they usually base their models on core components from other manufacturers and change a few things to try to differentiate them from the original. A number of high end companies do this using Oppo internals. That is not to say the Cambridge models aren't good, they are.
Noted...I saw that.

Started another thread to gather opinions on the CXU...yeah the Cambridge does seem to have a strong following.

4k doesn't mean much to me right now, but I've always said if I"m going to spend money on something I prefer to spend it on the latest technology. Even though a 4k TV in this space (we have two 4k TVs in other rooms) is not in my immediate at some point we might.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have not heard the CXU. Maybe I should give it a spin. Only two dealers in my area and both are far.

2channel lover

Have not heard the CXU. Maybe I should give it a spin. Only two dealers in my area and both are far.
Consider yourself lucky...I was thinking that same thing but 100 mile radius dialed up no dealers in metro ATL. As much as I'd like to keep the extra $500 I think the 205 will be the purchase for me, but I'd be curious to know your thoughts if you do get to hear it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis