Cambridge Azur 640R quit on me- what to do?

K

Kfox

Audiophyte
My Cambridge Audio Azur 640R AVR's DSP board has failed, I think. The only source of music that plays is 2ch analog direct , that is my CD player and the unit's radio tuner, also only in analog 2ch 'direct' mode. All digital sources play dead. If anyone has a different theory on what's failed please advise

The unit is 6 years old, heavily used (say 10000 hours). It's serves my needs well, I don't need to upgrade. All that said, should I fork out $200-300 to repair it, with hopes I could get another 4-5 years out of it , or is 4-5 years dreaming and I should move on?

The 640R specs say 2 x 120 watts per channel, 8 ohms and 7 x 100 watts/channel, 8 ohms but it's been tested much higher (Techrader tested 170W 2ch, 150w 7ch) A replacement would need same power or preferably more (I have Paradigm Studio 100's v2 in front and Studio 20's in rear) I figure equal or more power is going to cost me $1500 or more, which I'd sooner spend on something else, hence my dilemma .

Last edited:
K

Kfox

Audiophyte
As a note I cant even believe that all channels driven test was measured at 150 wpc on the Cambridge, can you link the test?
They don't provide Lab test details, just basic result in their write-up
I'm a newbie so not permitted to post a link. Google 'techradar azur 640r review'
Sound and Vision review stated similar findings

BTW I'm in Canada. the X4100 is on my list at $1300 CAN

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
They don't provide Lab test details, just basic result in their write-up
I'm a newbie so not permitted to post a link. Google 'techradar azur 640r review'
Sound and Vision review stated similar findings

BTW I'm in Canada. the X4100 is on my list at $1300 CAN
Hopefully someone in Canada will chime in on some price deals. The 4100 will give you roughly the same performance as the 640r, but with excellent bass management. The SV bench test was around 90w ACD test FWIW. If the 4100 is in you budget you will be very happy with it.

K

Kfox

Audiophyte
Hopefully someone in Canada will chime in on some price deals. The 4100 will give you roughly the same performance as the 640r, but with excellent bass management. The SV bench test was around 90w ACD test FWIW. If the 4100 is in you budget you will be very happy with it.
seems the x4100 has been discontinued in Canada, Same powered replacement is x4200, reg. retail price of $2000 CAN
the Yamaha a850 looks interesting at $1000, but wonder if it might sound too bright with the Studios

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
seems the x4100 has been discontinued in Canada, Same powered replacement is x4200, reg. retail price of $2000 CAN
the Yamaha a850 looks interesting at $1000, but wonder if it might sound too bright with the Studios
Looks like Best Buy still has them online

K

Kfox

Audiophyte
I have no idea why, but suddenly the unit starting working again- 5ch digital from all sources. I don't get it, I was ready to pack it and send for repair then suddenly all is fine.
Something I noticed after it stopped working was when powering off, there was an unusual and delayed extra click and now that it's working again that unusual extra click is gone.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have no idea why, but suddenly the unit starting working again- 5ch digital from all sources. I don't get it, I was ready to pack it and send for repair then suddenly all is fine.
Something I noticed after it stopped working was when powering off, there was an usual and delayed extra click noise and now that it's working again that unusual click is gone.
Is it too early for a Christmas Miracle?
Hope it continues to work.
Did you investigate doing a factory reset?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Something I noticed after it stopped working was when powering off, there was an usual and delayed extra click noise and now that it's working again that unusual click is gone.
I both love it and hate it when that happens.

My Denon 2802 lost it's ability to receiver FM stereo a few weeks ago and nothing I could do would restore it. I was fixin' to buy a new receiver. Yes, I do love my FM.

Then, two days later, it was back.

Now, I'm thankful it's back but from now on I'll always have that doubt in my mind as to what happened, and will it happen again.

K

Kfox

Audiophyte
Funny you should ask- I did investigate and found instructions online just the night before it fixed itself (before I could try the reset).

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Keep the reset instructions handy in case it happens again. That should be your first course of action. Should it happen again.
Have you changed any wiring or anything perhaps in preparation for shipping it out before it fixed itself?
Also, since it worked in analog stereo, did you have a situation that tested digital stereo? Just considering the idea that there may have been a short on one of the other 3 channels which would exhibit this type of behavior.
Likely, you will just have to wait and see if it repeats and whether the reset gets you up and running if it does.
Be glad it fixed itself before you shipped it!
Nothing worse than "it worked perfect when we tested it"!

K

Kfox

Audiophyte
Keep the reset instructions handy in case it happens again. That should be your first course of action. Should it happen again.
Have you changed any wiring or anything perhaps in preparation for shipping it out before it fixed itself?
Also, since it worked in analog stereo, did you have a situation that tested digital stereo? Just considering the idea that there may have been a short on one of the other 3 channels which would exhibit this type of behavior.
Likely, you will just have to wait and see if it repeats and whether the reset gets you up and running if it does.
Be glad it fixed itself before you shipped it!
Nothing worse than "it worked perfect when we tested it"!
So it worked for a week, then went down again for a week, then came back. Now it seems finished. I'm done too- buying an Anthem MRX510 tomorrow!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My Cambridge Audio Azur 640R AVR's DSP board has failed, I think. The only source of music that plays is 2ch analog direct , that is my CD player and the unit's radio tuner, also only in analog 2ch 'direct' mode. All digital sources play dead. If anyone has a different theory on what's failed please advise

The unit is 6 years old, heavily used (say 10000 hours). It's serves my needs well, I don't need to upgrade. All that said, should I fork out $200-300 to repair it, with hopes I could get another 4-5 years out of it , or is 4-5 years dreaming and I should move on?

The 640R specs say 2 x 120 watts per channel, 8 ohms and 7 x 100 watts/channel, 8 ohms but it's been tested much higher (Techrader tested 170W 2ch, 150w 7ch) A replacement would need same power or preferably more (I have Paradigm Studio 100's v2 in front and Studio 20's in rear) I figure equal or more power is going to cost me $1500 or more, which I'd sooner spend on something else, hence my dilemma .

Just for the record, according to the manual, the Azur 640R power specs are:

2 x 120 watts rms per channel, 8 ohms (two channels driven) 7 x 100 watts rms per channel, 8 ohms (all 7 channels driven)

Sound and vision said "Its stereo power could almost sneak by on a "150 watts x 2" model, and it did indeed deliver in excess of its full rated power with five channels driven - and very nearly with seven."
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-640r-av-receiver-page-3#4Fo6e7Uy3wHkOcX4.99

So Sound and Vision meant with 5 channel driven it exceeded 100W per channel and less than that with all 7 channel driven. That kind of power output can be met easily by mid range Denon, Marantz, Onkyo or even some Sony receivers. For Yamaha models, if you want good all channel driven outputs you need to go their flagship, but their 2 channel numbers are typically excellent. They did it the right way, put the money where it counts.

So that means while that receiver put out an honest power specs, the Techradar's review you referenced need to be read carefully. I think the reviewer might have been measuring the power draw, if that's the case then it would be the power input, not output that he measured. I am just guessing, I really don't have a clue what he was doing or talking about.

The Azur 640R weighs 33 lbs, I know weight is not always a determining factor, but I doubt you can find a class AB receiver weighing less than 40 lbs yet can put out 150WX7 all channel driven.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Azur 640R weighs 33 lbs, I know weight is not always a determining factor, but I doubt you can find a class AB receiver weighing less than 40 lbs yet can put out 150WX7 all channel driven.
Remember the Behemoth Onkyo TX-SR805, 50 pound monster receiver that doubled as an electric kitchen range? That thing did some crazy power figures close to 300 watts per channel in stereo and exceeded its power ratings all channels driven. Too bad the thing liked to cook itself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Remember the Behemoth Onkyo TX-SR805, 50 pound monster receiver that doubled as an electric kitchen range? That thing did some crazy power figures close to 300 watts per channel in stereo and exceeded its power ratings all channels driven. Too bad the thing liked to cook itself.
I remember the 805 very well, I think its brothers 876, 905 could do that too, they all had impressive output into 4 ohms.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I remember the 805 very well, I think its brothers 876, 905 could do that too, they all had impressive output into 4 ohms.
I know, it's just sad that they were plagued with heat problems. So close to perfection, yet so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis