Cambridge Audio CXR200 - For $3k this is all you get?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Flat, uninspiring face, no multichannel preouts, no phono input? There was a time when Cambridge appealed to the "Audiophile" market, now it seems like they're just cashing in on loyalists.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Haha. The Onkyo TX-RZ900 has most of the same features and includes multichannel preouts, a phono input, and a 3rd zone option. It doesn't have near as much specified powered, but it's just about as ugly as the Cambridge.

Not particularly revealing, but the Cambridge weighs about 35 pounds to the Onkyo's 39 pounds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Haha. The Onkyo TX-RZ900 has most of the same features and includes multichannel preouts, a phono input, and a 3rd zone option. It doesn't have near as much specified powered, but it's just about as ugly as the Cambridge.

Not particularly revealing, but the Cambridge weighs about 35 pounds to the Onkyo's 39 pounds.
Agree, not particularly revealing, choice of material for the components such as transformers, heat sinks, enclosure has a lot to do with the overall weight. Another big factor is the design, well design heat sinks can have much higher performance to weight ratio. Bryston amps tend to weigh less, relative speaking, than the likes of NAD, Emotiva, Parasound, ATI's, just an example.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Agree, not particularly revealing, choice of material for the components such as transformers, heat sinks, enclosure has a lot to do with the overall weight. Another big factor is the design, well design heat sinks can have much higher performance to weight ratio. Bryston amps tend to weigh less, relative speaking, than the likes of NAD, Emotiva, Parasound, ATI's, just an example.
I believe Cambridge AVRs are made in the same factory as NAD if that matters.

D

Don Grabski

Enthusiast
Just purchased the Denon AVR-X6200. Makes the Cambridge look like a pauper!
Super sound, super features. Review coming soon....................

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, what you are buying with that unit is a lack of economies of scale. The cost of manufacturing anything depends to some degree on the quantity manufactured. The volume here is tiny compared to the mainstream manufacturers. Just plain old economics. It may perform well but it isn't a very good value.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe Cambridge AVRs are made in the same factory as NAD if that matters.
Are you sure? Even if true, perhaps they just share the shop floor and facility. I don't get the impression that their products share similar design in any shape or form.

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
No. I thought I had read they were, but a quick search yielded nothing.
I read the same thing in a couple of places but I can't find it in a quick search, either. But I definitely remember it, it was a factor in my choice to buy the CRX-120.

And just like my old NAD integrated, I'm happy with all I got with the Cambridge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis