Calibration question

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Just bought a Panasonic 65VT50 for my basement and am very pumped about getting it up on the wall. Quick question about calibration - do I need to actually have the set custom calibrated or am I fine just using the posted settings that seem to be all over the web these days? $300 isn't throwaway money for me so, if id be fine just using the web settings or a calibration disc, that would be a bonus.

thanks!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the links, but I guess what I'm asking is if every tv needs to be uniquely calibrated or if all TV's in the same model number are the same, and therefore can use the same settings?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I recommend getting a test disc (either DVD or BD; it does not matter much which, because you will not be adjusting the resolution of your set, only things like color, tint, etc.). Use it for your specific set in your specific room. Not every TV off the assembly line is going to be exactly identical in performance, and you are not going to be lighting your room exactly like every other person with your model of set.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing is perfect, but will get you close to what you need, then If you prefer change it a bit to your liking. Enjoy.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the links, but I guess what I'm asking is if every tv needs to be uniquely calibrated or if all TV's in the same model number are the same, and therefore can use the same settings?
The most important thing to keep in mind is that the set is there for your enjoyment. If you're happy with the performance of the TV then leave it alone! Using the cnet setup may help you a bit, it may not. For my 50st60 I found their settings to be quite an improvement and at this point I am more than happy with the picture quality. As for individual set variation, I can tell that with cnet's settings a few things aren't quite right. my set can be a tad too blue in the mid-lower brightness area, but it's close enough that I do not care. If at the end of this you're close to being happy with the set, but something is still bugging you then maybe try for a professional calibration, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference afterwords.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis