Calibrating sub with spl meter.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I have a C weighted spl meter I've used to set the level of my setup. Playing pink noise through the receiver, the sub measures about 4-5dB lower, turning it up the 5dB sounds excessively boomy and loud. My mains are good down to 60hz, playing a 60, 70, and 80hz tone through either the fronts or subs registers within +- 3dB on the spl meter, making me think the meter is probably just less sensitive at sub 60hz. The in room response of the sub is accurate within ~6dB from 100hz-30hz at listening position which is pretty good considering less than ideal room dimensions.

Any idea why the pink noise registers a bit lower than pure sine waves?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Room is always a factor and it is more likely your room than the meter. Is this the Ratshack meter? There is a correction table for it. I created an excel sheet for it so I could plug my numbers in and have it spit out actual. 63hz isn't one that is far off though.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/SPL-corrections.htm

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Playing pink noise through the receiver, the sub measures about 4-5dB lower…
Lower than what?

The meter is indeed less sensitive below 60 Hz. There’s nothing wrong with the meter, it’s the natural response of the C-weighted curve.

You really can’t compare pink noise to sine waves, as the latter are individual tones and the former is broadband. Since pink noise is broadband, you have to keep in mind that the reading the meter registers is whatever frequency is loudest.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis