Cadence XSUB-12 or BIC Venturi V1220

M

mrsecman

Audiophyte
Greetings,

I am looking to purchase a sub in the $250.00 range. Reseach indicates the Cadence or BIC is the best in my price range. I recently purchased a marantz 8400, a pair of BIC DV-84s for fronts and BIC DV62CLR-S as the center. I will use an existing pair of 3-way direct reflect studio speakers for the rear.

Which one of these is the better sub or do you suggest something else?

Thanks In Advance,

Room size is 18'w x 30 x 9 but only 18 x 18 x 9 is used for entertainment.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Either one for the price

mrsecman said:
Greetings,

I am looking to purchase a sub in the $250.00 range. Reseach indicates the Cadence or BIC is the best in my price range. I recently purchased a marantz 8400, a pair of BIC DV-84s for fronts and BIC DV62CLR-S as the center. I will use an existing pair of 3-way direct reflect studio speakers for the rear.

Thanks In Advance,

Here's the story with the XSUB. I purchased one for my younger brother in Toledo since they were relatively inexpensive, and I've had very good luck with their car audio equipment. The car subs and amps are right up there with JL Audio IMO. They hit harder than anything I've ever heard at BB and CC. Got it home, hoooked it up, and it was extremely tight but had lots of power. It took about 5 days of some bass cd's to break in, but I still have it. I gave my 10" Velodyne to my brother instead. I had $1000 set aside for a sub, and I haven't spent it yet. I've got on TWC Music Choice "old school rap" downstairs (my great room is about 18' x 32' - opens up to a dinette and kitchen. My house is about 2400 sq. feet and I'm in an upstairs office on the other side of the house. That 12" sub is shaking all the walls in the house. I have it placed in a corner for maximum effect. It does a great job for under $250. It's not an SVS or HSU, but I haven't had any urge to "upgrade" this thing yet. I had an issue with the grill and they shipped me a new one. I also had a hum in the sub. I called them, and they shipped me out a new 350 watt amp. When I received the amp, I called them and asked them if they wanted the old one back, as the new one eliminated the hum. They said "no," just keep it! Amazing customer service for a budget sub. Now I know Macmanm purchased a BIC sub and is about as impressed with it as I am this XSUB. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Mine is extremely heavy, has a very large amp, and a huge magnet on the woofer (I had to take it apart-of course). If you have $300-$500, the HSU may be a better buy, but again, I still have mine and a bunch of money to buy something else. I even considered buying two of these, but it would just be overkill. I haven't had to. And I'm a bass head!

Attachments

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mrsecman said:
Greetings,

Thanks In Advance,

I did my review with the BIC sub, and it worked really well with the other BIC speakers.

Did you get the speakers yet?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mrsecman said:
No ... Speakers should arrive next week.

Cool, you are going to be really happy.

I know Buck's taste pretty well, I'd say the two are prob about the same as far as quality goes. The Amp on the Cadence is a class AB, whereas the BIC is Class D. I think you'd be happy with either one. I think they are both pretty high quality/value.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
anyone have some more input on this topic I plan on ordering tomorrow or friday? leaning towards the cadence so any discussion would be great also anyone who has the cadence, where did you order it and how was your luck with that, im kind of leary of orderind off ebay or ubid even though I'm sure everything would go smoothly.

thnx for the help

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
While I'm not sure about eBay, Ubid is great and secure. I ordered 2pr of BIC DV62SIB's from there without any issues whatsoever.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
anyone have some more input on this topic I plan on ordering tomorrow or friday? leaning towards the cadence so any discussion would be great also anyone who has the cadence, where did you order it and how was your luck with that, im kind of leary of orderind off ebay or ubid even though I'm sure everything would go smoothly.

thnx for the help
Buck got his cadence off of ubid. He had no problems. The grill was damaged, he contacted CS and he got really good service. I ordered my V1220 off of Amazon, no problems at all.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Spiffyfast said:

thnx for the help
$219 at Ubid is the way to go. Excellent service, and a person is just a phone call away if there are any issues. Make sure to check the grill when it arrives. It's a curved design and probably tough to manufacturer. Mine was cracked, so they sent out another one within days. I actually spoke with reps at Ubid and Cadence. The guy at Cadence actually called me back to see how I liked the sub. The sub requires a lot of break in. You'll find it extremely "tight" and "punchy" out of the box. Ignore those who say break in on a speaker is a "myth." It's not. I can attest to it first hand with this unit. You'll also find the amp is probably too much for the sub. You'll never need to use all of it's power, but it's nice to know you've got it. Stick it in a corner, and enjoy!

Did I read somewhere you planned on getting two of these?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Did I read somewhere you planned on getting two of these?

I'm thinking about it, I think it would be extremely overkill for any space I'll have in the near future, I might just order one to start off, then decide if I want the second, I'm sure itll out perform the dual sony 8" subs I have now

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis