L

lario

Junior Audioholic
Good day. Just looking for some cable suggestions please if someone can recommend or point me in the right direction. I'm looking to replace the existing coaxial audio cables used for connecting my Adcom GFA-7705 amp to my Emotiva UMC-200. I understand I don't have to break the bank for some good quality cables but my Monoprice and PrimeCables searching has resulted in limited options...http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2681 for instance. Are these sufficient? Provide adequate shielding? I'm getting a bad hum from my speakers and thinking the current cables may be the problem (loose, distortion when I touch or slightly move them). Appreciate any help.

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
I did come across this article and have read it several times over the past 3 months...unfortunately I can't seem to solve the problem even after the troubleshooting, etc etc. It reads like exactly what I'm suffering from but I can't seem to solve it. The interconnects are loose and even when the cables came into close contact with one another the hum intensified. One cable actually 'came out' of the RCA plug it was supposed to be secured to. I'm ready to punch ground loop hum right in the sniffer. I'm hoping the new cables (probably required anyways) will at least rule out one of the possible issues.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, new cables will remedy the looseness issue Go for some reasonably priced, well constructed cables, of which Monoprice is a good example.

If they don't cure your ills, you've got other problems

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I did come across this article and have read it several times over the past 3 months...unfortunately I can't seem to solve the problem even after the troubleshooting, etc etc. It reads like exactly what I'm suffering from but I can't seem to solve it. The interconnects are loose and even when the cables came into close contact with one another the hum intensified. One cable actually 'came out' of the RCA plug it was supposed to be secured to. I'm ready to punch ground loop hum right in the sniffer. I'm hoping the new cables (probably required anyways) will at least rule out one of the possible issues.
The question is how many other electronics do you have connected on that same electrical circuit?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would start by wiggling all of the cables while they're inserted- if noise comes and goes, unplug them and use a multi-meter to see if you can duplicate the problem while you measure continuity. If you can, repair the cables and if not, replace them.

Where are you located? If you have constant hum, your local electrical regulations or the installation of the wiring may be part of the problem. If it comes and goes, you may have loose connections at the outlets, but that wouldn't apply if you can cause the problem by moving the audio cables.

What cables are you using, how old are they and are they bundled with many others and/or with power cables? ALWAYS separate power cords and cables and cables that carry signal and NEVER bundle them. Avoid positioning them so the signal cables are parallel to the power cords/cabling- it can act as a pickup for noise through the magnetic fields caused by current flow in power cords. Close proximity is your enemy, when this is concerned.

If the cables have been bundled with others and the jacks have been supporting the weight, the metal can bend and if the plastic around the center connection in the jack has broken (very possible), new cables won't cure the problem. If you have one cable that never makes noise, use that to connect to all outputs and inputs- if it still makes noise/distortion, look deeper into the equipment.

I don't think you have ground loops, I think you have damaged cables and/or jacks.

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
I would start by wiggling all of the cables while they're inserted- if noise comes and goes, unplug them and use a multi-meter to see if you can duplicate the problem while you measure continuity. If you can, repair the cables and if not, replace them.

Where are you located? If you have constant hum, your local electrical regulations or the installation of the wiring may be part of the problem. If it comes and goes, you may have loose connections at the outlets, but that wouldn't apply if you can cause the problem by moving the audio cables.

What cables are you using, how old are they and are they bundled with many others and/or with power cables? ALWAYS separate power cords and cables and cables that carry signal and NEVER bundle them. Avoid positioning them so the signal cables are parallel to the power cords/cabling- it can act as a pickup for noise through the magnetic fields caused by current flow in power cords. Close proximity is your enemy, when this is concerned.

If the cables have been bundled with others and the jacks have been supporting the weight, the metal can bend and if the plastic around the center connection in the jack has broken (very possible), new cables won't cure the problem. If you have one cable that never makes noise, use that to connect to all outputs and inputs- if it still makes noise/distortion, look deeper into the equipment.

I don't think you have ground loops, I think you have damaged cables and/or jacks.
Appreciate the input. I'll tinker around and see what happens.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Movement of the cables causing static is not a shielding issue. I agree that you either have bad cables or bad jacks on one of the components. I've actually had that problem once or twice with my UMC-200 with some AQ cables that seem to not like the jacks on the UMC. No issues with the Bluejeans analog cables I use to connect the UMC to either of my amps.

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
Movement of the cables causing static is not a shielding issue. I agree that you either have bad cables or bad jacks on one of the components. I've actually had that problem once or twice with my UMC-200 with some AQ cables that seem to not like the jacks on the UMC. No issues with the Bluejeans analog cables I use to connect the UMC to either of my amps.
Ok - can you suggest/send link for the cables you're using or something comparable? When I read 'bluejeans' I cringe at what the prices may be as I've read enough to suggest the differences in the high priced cables vs. those I find on Monoprice are almost non-existent (to the untrained ear perhaps). Thanks again!

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
The question is how many other electronics do you have connected on that same electrical circuit?

hahah lots...but the Adcom is on its separate 20amp circuit. The rest are plugged into the same circuit (TV, sub, pre/pro, surge protector, cable box). I'll try moving some.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ok - can you suggest/send link for the cables you're using or something comparable? When I read 'bluejeans' I cringe at what the prices may be as I've read enough to suggest the differences in the high priced cables vs. those I find on Monoprice are almost non-existent (to the untrained ear perhaps). Thanks again!
Bluejeans is a mom & pop shop, not a boutique cable maker. No nonsense, no BS, just quality stuff. Not exactly the prettiest cables, but they are easily my favorite so far, and cost wise are on the realistic end of the spectrum for what a cable of this quality should cost.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
hahah lots...but the Adcom is on its separate 20amp circuit. The rest are plugged into the same circuit (TV, sub, pre/pro, surge protector, cable box). I'll try moving some.
I suspect your problem is because of the different 20-amp circuit and the different ground potential it presents.
As a test get a power strip and plug everything into that 20-amp outlet.
Unless you have a huge listening area to fill, I'm willing to bet you can use that 20-amp circuit exclusively.

Try using video cables for the preamp connections. Mono-price has them cheap and they offer some shielding.
EDIT: I just read that you have a cable box. That's another common avenue for a ground loop.
If the first test doesn't solve the issue. Then temporarily disconnect the cable coax and retest.

Last edited:
L

lario

Junior Audioholic
I suspect your problem is because of the different 20-amp circuit and the different ground potential it presents.
As a test get a power strip and plug everything into that 20-amp outlet.
Unless you have a huge listening area to fill, I'm willing to bet you can use that 20-amp circuit exclusively.

Try using video cables for the preamp connections. Mono-price has them cheap and they offer some shielding.
EDIT: I just read that you have a cable box. That's another common avenue for a ground loop.
If the first test doesn't solve the issue. Then temporarily disconnect the cable coax and retest.
Ok, I'll give the power strip a try and then the video cables if necessary. I've already tried taking the cable box out of the set up but the hum persists.

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
Received new cables the other day --- seem to do the trick! Going to monitor it over the next few days but otherwise I believe the problem is solved. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis