J

jhayman

Enthusiast
I was reading other forums about interconnects..
It seems some people agree that you can use component video cables for audio purposes?
Meaning using the component cable to run an amp in 3 channel or 5 channel without any loss at all..
They say the video cable is built to a higher standard than the audio cable which is why it's a better buy and cable?
can anyone confirm this?
Thank You

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Video, Digital Coax, and Subwoofer cables are all 75 Ohm characteristic impedance and can be used interchangeably. The only difference is the color coding which is a convention to make things easier for humans to tell which is which - the receiver/pre-amp etc do not know what color it is and do not care.

In the past audio cables were 50 Ohm but nowadays are made from the same cable stock as all the other cables so are 75 Ohm (it's cheaper for the manufacturer that way). So you can use pretty much any cable for audio purposes.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
A video signal works at a different frequency than analogue audio.
So the video signal needs the extra shielding that video cables offer. You may need shielded audio cables, it depends on the application, and the noise levels(RFI) that you have.
It may be more of a matter of routing your cables, and separating low voltage from high, and only crossing at 90 degree angles.
It can't hurt; if you want to try it just to experiment. I'd use Bonded Foil with a 95% Braid, that's works best at a wider range of frequencies.
Just keep in mind, you may be looking to fix a problem that you don't really have.

J

jhayman

Enthusiast
A video signal works at a different frequency than analogue audio.
So the video signal needs the extra shielding that video cables offer. You may need shielded audio cables, it depends on the application, and the noise levels(RFI) that you have.
It may be more of a matter of routing your cables, and separating low voltage from high, and only crossing at 90 degree angles.
It can't hurt; if you want to try it just to experiment. I'd use Bonded Foil with a 95% Braid, that's works best at a wider range of frequencies.
Just keep in mind, you may be looking to fix a problem that you don't really have.
Thanks MDS and Rickster for your speedy answers..
Rickster I'm not trying to fix a problem I don't have I was just going to buy some new cables to hook up my Emotiva amp when it arrives tomorrow, and heard you can use video cables for audio purposes..
I was just checking to see if this was correct.
Thanks again

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
Just curious about the length of cable run you are looking at. Sometimes there are deals, you know ;) .

J

jhayman

Enthusiast
Just curious about the length of cable run you are looking at. Sometimes there are deals, you know ;) .
1 or 2 meter depends on when my amp get here and i rearange my components..
Do you know a place here in Toronto or east of TO that has good deals on wires?
Thanks

T

Trev

Audioholic
I couldn't find any affordable quality RCA cables anywhere in my local stores. It was all anywhere from $30 and up...

Went to a Zellers which is kind of like a Wallmart or Target from what I hear, and picked up quality, great length component cables that separated smoothly... under $10. Hooked to sub right now. Crystal baby.

Go for it.

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
1 or 2 meter depends on when my amp get here and i rearange my components..
Do you know a place here in Toronto or east of TO that has good deals on wires?
Thanks
Sorry, I am from just over the border in MI so many of the deals I find, I understand, do not apply :( . Just doid some research on sub cables, but did not realize you were in Canada.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was reading other forums about interconnects..
It seems some people agree that you can use component video cables for audio purposes?
Meaning using the component cable to run an amp in 3 channel or 5 channel without any loss at all..
They say the video cable is built to a higher standard than the audio cable which is why it's a better buy and cable?
can anyone confirm this?
Thank You
Yes that is true. A 75 ohm shielded video cable will work just fine for audio too. I use Belden 1694A for all of my analog A/V needs:

Component Video Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

If the Canare connector is too long for your needs, I believe they have right angle options too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bluejeans are what I use for analog as well. Highly recommended.

T

TMC

Audiophyte
Last year, I had what amounted to an interconnect epiphany. I was setting up a new headphone rig consisting of an Ayon CD-1 player with balanced tube output and a Woo Audio WA-22 balanced tube headphone amplifier. One of the things that Woo highly recommended was stepping up to a hi quality silver balanced interconnect. So I bought a used pair of Acoustic Zen Silver ref 2's. Until you actually do back to back listening tests, same CD, same player/amp, just swap a common interconnect with a good one, you cant imagine the improvement in content and detail. I was speechless. And I learned something.

Wire, is not just wire.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I've found Monster Cable on ebay real cheap that look nice, but I also use monoprice cables, especially for longer HDMI runs. They've worked flawlessly between my Bluray-receiver-TV watching 3D movies.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last year, I had what amounted to an interconnect epiphany. I was setting up a new headphone rig consisting of an Ayon CD-1 player with balanced tube output and a Woo Audio WA-22 balanced tube headphone amplifier. One of the things that Woo highly recommended was stepping up to a hi quality silver balanced interconnect. So I bought a used pair of Acoustic Zen Silver ref 2's. Until you actually do back to back listening tests, same CD, same player/amp, just swap a common interconnect with a good one, you cant imagine the improvement in content and detail. I was speechless. And I learned something.

Wire, is not just wire.
I have silver cables in my system too, right along side the $40 Bluejeans. I've had them both for years and if there is a significant audible difference between them, I've yet to hear it.

J

jhayman

Enthusiast

Wire, is not just wire.
LOL:):eek::rolleyes:

T

TMC

Audiophyte
Class site you have here. I'm a newbie. Have I broken some secret taboo?

Moderator....feel free to delete my login. This place doesn't meet my personal standards, so I'm gone.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Moderator....feel free to delete my login. This place doesn't meet my personal standards, so I'm gone.
I don't question your beliefs and even if the measurements don't support it and others don't agree, who cares. Enjoy your purchases. People don't often understand my equipment choices till they come over and hear it. When I sit back and enjoy sonic bliss with my wife while we sip a fine red, nothing else matters!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Wire, is not just wire.
You are right. Some are silver, most are copper and a few some other material, perhaps magnet wire.

The outer material is mostly different, at least the colors, etc.

As to your comparison and the setup, perhaps the setup is sensitive to some wire parameter. We don't know without in depth inspection. As to your listening protocol, totally flawed so it has no real value, unfortunately.
Also, you need to kn ow about the workings of human bias, the brain and perception, critical to understand.

Not sure what your standards are, what your expectations are. No, you did not break any taboo. Actually, this site is very accommodating and your post was not deleted as some sites tend to do.;)
But, most here tend to approach testable claims in an objective manner.
So, if you stick around you may learn a few things about audio, if that is your goal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis