cable 'break in' ...........

jinjuku

jinjuku

Never mind the fact that by virtue of using your system all your components are 'burned in'.

It's most likely the dumbest of debate points in this hobby.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But all you need to do is use your ears! And your wallet!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
These same types of imagineers touch just about every product discussed on the internet these days. Which simply cannot perform to full potential without being touched by their exclusive, god given knowledge. Something as benign as a natural bristle paint brush, for example, which must first be suspended by it's handle, with it's purest bristle tips, suspended in certified organic linseed oil before it can lay on a superior coat of oil based paint.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
We're ignorant cable people! Ha ha ha! I s'pose my ignorance allows me to hold onto my money so I can spend it on actual improvements in sq. This burn in thing cracks me up. People sell cable burners?! How much are they? Wow.

Something like this might go well over there. Some of the customers put them right on their cables. Changes the sound entirely. I'll bet they cut the burn in time in half.
Before I even opened that link, I knew it was going to be the pebbles!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I swear it's that you guys are just famous for the unfoolery and other forums send these plants to rattle your cables. I started out in electronics and hated it, but learned just enough to be dangerous without the electrocution hazard. I work with someone who is a 30 year EE and works with climate extremes/vibration chambers for electronics that go either up to, or even beyond Earth's atmosphere and when I mention this stuff to him messing around even, I get "that" look.

To be honest, having come across these bits of witchcraft is what steered me from internet based, modern audio on my revisit to the hobby. Thankfully, you folks here at AH were believably grounded in consistent, common sense, and I could just forget the nonsense I had been exposed to.
Ever see a dog as it 'watches' TV? It sees and hears things, but doesn't really understand what's happening. Is that the look you get? I get the same when I mention cables with batteries and the reasons stated about why they're supposed to be better. One of my friends is an EE who works on guidance systems for missiles- I mentioned these when he was with some other EEs and they all thought I was joking. If I had known one guy would be at our last high school reunion, I would have gone, so I could ask him- he has worked at NASA for a long time- possibly since college.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I don't know why anybody would buy this break in box for their cables. Everybody knows the easiest way to break your cables in is to tie them to your bumper and go on a good long road trip...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Zenwave doesn't sell a cable cooker and posts have been updated to reflect that…
Thanks for explaining your edit to my previous post. I do appreciate it.

I had misread that post on WBF. It read:
"I posted measurements last year of a litz-wire speaker cable new and after burn-in using my AudioDharma cable cooker."​

Instead of reading it as "my own AudioDharma cable cooker", I misinterpreted to mean it was a product that he produced and sold. My mistake.
… He's not selling cable cookers, but the very reason people might think they need one. To be fair to Swerd, he wasn't far off.
Thanks for the moral support :).

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am wondering when all of the electronics manufacturers are going to get on board with all of the other components in the chain between the power outlet and the binding posts/connectors. Capacitor and resistor lead cookers and no bends in the leads either. I wonder if the speaker driver manufacturers are going to pre-cook all of their conductors too? Nobody is going to want to be left as the weak link in this technology. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am wondering when all of the electronics manufacturers are going to get on board with all of the other components in the chain between the power outlet and the binding posts/connectors. Capacitor and resistor lead cookers and no bends in the leads either. I wonder if the speaker driver manufacturers are going to pre-cook all of their conductors too? Nobody is going to want to be left as the weak link in this technology. :D
What happens if you use your cable cooker before its properly broken in :eek:? I expect to see a cable cooker cooker for sale anytime now.

What if you broke it in too much? Do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for Cryo treatment?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
This Dave guy, exotic cable vendor, really likes to toss out special pleading to support and defend his argument. "Oh it only works on "certain cables," or "Oh, it takes a certain system to gain benefit." Of course with the number of possible mismatches of gear this would be impossible to test, insulating him from being challenged. Nor is any information given to help limit possible customers, one would think a proper company president wouldn't want to advertise to the wrong crowd; those with applicable systems.

Moreover, exotic cable manufacturers always fall victim to the same trap, and it amazes me it's never challenged. It simply begs the question why a higher dollar cable would need low dollar (cable risers), or some other low cost and or virtually free enhancement, like burn-in. Let's assume we live in a universe where these things provide universal benefit. If I buy a $10,000 cable, you mean you can't sell it for $10,500 with burn in completed? And for that money I expect to be able to run the cable through a stack of rugs, with the vacuum running and hear nothing detrimental. Are you saying you can't figure out a way around this?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Funny, the less you troll the more you're being labeled a troll.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What if you broke it in too much? Do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for Cryo treatment?
And is it possible to properly break-in a cable with cheap electronics? Or will that leave an everlasting imprint on the molecular structure rendering it worthless?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What I would like to know from the EE's here, is there truth and relevance to this ?
There are at least a couple articles here by Gene (an EE) that delve into the topic:
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/audio-cable-break-in-science-or-psychological
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-and-audio-interconnects
http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/audioquest-cable-theories-exposed

If the folks at WBF want to dispute that assessment, more power to them. That said, it takes more than a couple Omnimic sweeps and subjective commentary to actually prove that the phenomenon exists. I look forward to seeing their write-up in the JAES.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Can you imagine being plagued by this and trying to enjoy your gear while spooked by such preconceived details all the time? I cannot even imagine a point of rehab for these folks that fall into this.

Yesterday when I was hooking my gear back up that I had stashed in safer places when Irma was looming about, I found a dust bunny right where my cables had been sitting. The week before that, my fat cat was hanging out back there with his foot on the cables, pinching the electrons off right while I was listening.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There are at least a couple articles here by Gene (an EE) that delve into the topic:
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/audio-cable-break-in-science-or-psychological
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-and-audio-interconnects
http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/audioquest-cable-theories-exposed

If the folks at WBF want to dispute that assessment, more power to them. That said, it takes more than a couple Omnimic sweeps and subjective commentary to actually prove that the phenomenon exists. I look forward to seeing their write-up in the JAES.

Thank you Steve !

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Good try in any case but that's a closed little world they choose to live in, facts don't matter, just a little club of fellow believers.
I wanted to see what would happen if you try to be polite and just "ask the fog away" so to speak. In the end it looks like they abuse the term troll to describe anyone who asks. I thought their defense mechanisms would be somewhat more intricate.

What I really didn't like was how DaveC posed as a victim even though much of his wounds were self inflicted and heavily scratched. I often see this behavior and I detest it. Con-men like to portray "calling them out" as persecution.

One would think that asking someone to leave for asking questions would make the rest clearly see the dogmatic nature of their position. And one would be wrong.:D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think 'Weak Link' would be a great name for a speaker company, being one of the most important parts of an audio system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis