Cable Box HDMI May Not Talk to Receivers

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
FINALLY !!! Success with COX in N.Virginia !!!

WeAreSurrounded said:
... and their tech support just helpless. This is funny, in one of the country's most sophisticated and high-tech-oriented customers' population, the cable/HD provider plays dumb with them day in and day out :mad:
After bugging them for days, finally I was able to talk with some tech. supervisor on the higher level, who admitted that they have appropriate firmware, but are very reluctant to load it to their SA 8300HD boxes, so they do it only on the individual-per-request base.
And indeed, per my request they did it for me, now the HDMI switching works fine with my AVR 4306 !!! :D
FYI, I also have my SA 8300HD hooked up directly with another input of my PIO plasma through the component, so the rest of the family can use it (they are all terrified by sophistication of AVR 4306 and the user-unfriendliness of its remote :eek: ).

H

hd4me

Audiophyte
Success?

After my last post (on page 6), I went in to the Cox store and started off by making their customer service rep look quite silly. Armed with the knowledge imparted to me by you all, she was forced to seek somebody out who could understand all of the things I was saying. There were none, however, I did receive a copy of an internal memo discussing our HDMI/HDCP issues! For NOVA customers at least, they give this solution, "The current version of the software [on the SA 8300] does not support this ["switching"] because it only has HDMI 1.0 included but we can (ON A CASES BY CASE BASIS) upgrade these set tops remotely when the REQUEST IS MADE BY THE CUSTOMER". I left the store that day with after requesting the newest box they had, in the hope I would be able to avoid jumping through all of their hoops. I plugged it in to my Gefen switcher and everything is working fine so far! I still have the copy of the memo they gave me in case things start screwing up randomly like they did last time. Thanks for your help and knowledge everyone, if I hear anymore I'll report back!:D

J

Joe Foe

Audiophyte
Eh hd4me, Please post a copy of that memo asap. If you can't scan it take a digital picture of it and post it.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Himey said:
Great News:

HDMI now works on Motorola 6412 III DVR boxes passing through my HDMI receiver. Adelphia in Ohio just updated my firmware to version 12.35. I tested and double tested. No more green screen or error messages.
This is very interesting!
I am a Tech for Shaw Cable in British Columbia,and none of our people even seem to know about this firmware fix?
I am going to phone tech support tommorow and see if I can explain to these people that there is a fix that exist's!
Thank's Rick
btw I have a Motorola 6416 III ,and it was a disappointment when I could not use the HDMI. Hope I get it fixed someday

T

TechnoMom

Audiophyte
Unique HDMI problem?

After reading a/v forums on various sites every nite for the past 2-3 weeks, I can't find any that address my particular problem.

I'm using the SA 8300 HD-DVR and am fully aware of all the HDMI-HDCP problems posted by other users when trying to route the connection through the a/v receiver. I am fully aware that my trusty old Sony receiver desperately needs upgrading (no HDMI and not even digital or optical audio inputs), so I decided to just try a direct HDMI hookup to my Sony SXRD from the cable box. I am able to get both audio and video this way, but they constantly flash on/off simultaneously. Almost appears to be a loose connection, but I double checked and even tried another HDMI cable, no luck. Any suggestions??

SARA version 1.87.16.1 and Hargray Cable in SC

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Call your cable's Tech support !

TechnoMom said:
After reading a/v forums on various sites every nite for the past 2-3 weeks, I can't find any that address my particular problem.
I'm using the SA 8300 HD-DVR ....
... I decided to just try a direct HDMI hookup to my Sony SXRD from the cable box. I am able to get both audio and video this way, but they constantly flash on/off simultaneously. Almost appears to be a loose connection, but I double checked and even tried another HDMI cable, no luck. Any suggestions??
SARA version 1.87.16.1 and Hargray Cable in SC
Yes, call your Hargray Cable Tech. Support !!!
They are supposed to troubleshoot such cases, are they not ???
And even being paid for it ... ;)

If it's your box, they'll swap it and you will know then that it wasn't your TV.
What else you expect from this Forum ?

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
Just for grins, I decided to try the HDMI option this past weekend and to my surprise it worked. TWC in Houston must have recently updated the firmware on the SA8300HD DVR. Mine is now passing the HDMI signal through my Pioneer 74 via HDMI to my TV. However, the picture quality is not as good as using component cables to the receiver and HDMI out to the TV. Any suggestions for inproving the picture quality using HDMI only? Thanks.

ginovino

Audiophyte
Cavediver said:
Just for grins, I decided to try the HDMI option this past weekend and to my surprise it worked. TWC in Houston must have recently updated the firmware on the SA8300HD DVR. Mine is now passing the HDMI signal through my Pioneer 74 via HDMI to my TV. However, the picture quality is not as good as using component cables to the receiver and HDMI out to the TV. Any suggestions for inproving the picture quality using HDMI only? Thanks.
Can you provide us with the Firmware update # you have on your SA 8300HD quickly?

During the next few days I will be buying a Yamaha Rx-v2700 Receiver to go with my new Pioneer Pro-1140HD. The Yamaha will be doing all of the switching and audio controlling of the HT sound of the SA8300 and the new OPPO 981. While I don't need upscaling per se, I like desire the simplicity of HDMI cabling. (I was on the verge of getting the Pioneer 84tsxi, but then read the months and months of postings about the Pioneer Firmware issue affecting this model. Visit AVS.com for specifics)

As for the picture quality drop off... that shouldn't be. I tested both component and HDMI direct to my Pioneer 1140HD using high quality $$$$ cables and it was no contest---HDMI hands down!

Anxious in New York!

Please keep us updated.

M

mnolting

Audiophyte
Cable boxes hdmi 1.0 copliant

It is a year now since this last post. Are Motorola boxes now hdmi 1.0 ???

Thanks
Mike

J

jjurroz

Enthusiast
I guess my problem is worst than most. I got a Motorola 6416 III and I'm trying to connect it via HDMI directly to my TV. I get no audio or video even though it is setup properly. Anyone else having this problem? seems most people can't go through their receiver. I can't even go straight to TV.

p.s. my box does NOT have the 12.35 firmware.

Regards,
Jose

J

jjurroz

Enthusiast
I had a tech come to my house because I was having issues with my DVR and HDMI connection. The tech told me that by default comcast (in my area) is disabling the HDMI port and that I have to specifically request it to be activated. Has anyone else had this issue? How rediculous is this?

Regards,
Jose Urroz

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I had a tech come to my house because I was having issues with my DVR and HDMI connection. The tech told me that by default comcast (in my area) is disabling the HDMI port and that I have to specifically request it to be activated. Has anyone else had this issue? How rediculous is this?

Regards,
Jose Urroz
They are probably doing this because of their experience of what their majority of clients have and use.

J

jjurroz

Enthusiast
I contacted comcast on friday because my DVR box was not working (it was saying the service was disabled) and the a tech that came to my house had told me that the DVR service was not working in my area and that the HDMI port was disabled by default) to get a credit because I felt I should not be paying extra for DVR functionality if the service is not working in my area. Some how, I got routed to a spanish speaking person in billing (this is not a problem as I speak english and spanish) and the person told me that everything that tech told me was incorrect. She said the DVR service has nothing to do with my area (this is was my stance when dealing with the tech but he insisted) and that if the HDMI port was not displaying video then most likely the box was defective. She advised I take the box in to get it swapped. I went in saturday morning and had the box swapped out. I took it home, connected the HDMI cable and it worked! The DVR functionality worked as well.

I tell you what, I use to have Dish Network and I switched to comcast because of all the deals they were running. I literally cut my bill in half by consolidating internet and tv service. But with all the issues that I've had over the last 4-6 months with comcast, the old saying still stands: You get what you pay for.

Regards,
Jose Urroz

Z

zip.survey

Audiophyte
I live in Chicago. I have a BRAND NEW Samsung 46″ LCD (4661F). I also have a BRAND NEW Samsung Home Theater System (HT-TXQ120).

I had Comcast install an HD-DVR box. I receive a green screen when I try to use my Home Theater system in conjunction with using the cable box.

Glad that I found this site, to ensure that its not my Home Theater System or the way I connected it that is the problem.

My firmware is 16.20 and it did not work. Comcast then installed a box with Firmware 18.21 and I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. The box is Motorola DCH3416.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

. She advised I take the box in to get it swapped. I went in saturday morning and had the box swapped out. I took it home, connected the HDMI cable and it worked! The DVR functionality worked as well.
Regards,
Jose Urroz
Glad that in the end it is working and that it was the cable box. No surprise as this has been an ongoing problem if one reads this site.

Do you by chance know or get a tag copy of that service from the tech? It would be nice to have a chit-chat with his supervisors or he will do it to the next customer. Same would apply to customer service to thank that person that she knew more than the tech in the field and there should be a rigorous training of the techs.:D I bet there may be a record who helped you last:D She would appreciate it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I live in Chicago. I have a BRAND NEW Samsung 46″ LCD (4661F). I also have a BRAND NEW Samsung Home Theater System (HT-TXQ120).

I had Comcast install an HD-DVR box. I receive a green screen when I try to use my Home Theater system in conjunction with using the cable box.

Glad that I found this site, to ensure that its not my Home Theater System or the way I connected it that is the problem.

My firmware is 16.20 and it did not work. Comcast then installed a box with Firmware 18.21 and I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. The box is Motorola DCH3416.
You may want to pm jjurroz above who had his problem solved. Maybe he can check which firmware is in his box and which brand it is.

J

jimfitz

Audioholic
I called Charter today to report this problem with my Motorola cable box. The tech told me to return the Motorola box to Charter and swap it for a Scientific Atlantic cable box. I'm somewhat reluctant to do this because I don't want to introduce the problem with power up sequence others have described. Has the problem now been resolved with SA cable boxes? Does anyone know for sure? Thanks. By the way, my Motorola cable box has firmware 16.35 and I live in the Atlanta area.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I called Charter today to report this problem with my Motorola cable box. The tech told me to return the Motorola box to Charter and swap it for a Scientific Atlantic cable box. I'm somewhat reluctant to do this because I don't want to introduce the problem with power up sequence others have described. Has the problem now been resolved with SA cable boxes? Does anyone know for sure? Thanks. By the way, my Motorola cable box has firmware 16.35 and I live in the Atlanta area.
My scientific atlantic 8300 HD-DVR works perfectly. I hope your's does as well. I can power up anything I'd like to first and it works consistantly.

Pat

K

keni88

Audiophyte
Yuh yuh yuh...I figured there would be something about all this on here eventually...I am an installer for Tweeter and I see this problem almost everyday. Cable boxes are the worst with HDMI. They are always an issue, so if the problem arises, we end up using component for the cable box and HDMI for the upconverting DVD player. It's not the best way to do things, but it makes service calls and reliability much better. The satelite boxes tend to work better with HDMI, but there are the occasional issues.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

HDCP issues with Direct TV Hd 20 DVR

I have a Gefen 3 to 1 switcher, purchased 18 months ago. Since I live in a remote area, I have to use a satellite service. I use Direct TV. I have a Marantz universal disc player. The original HD satellite DVR was a Tivo. The switcher switched both units to my Fujitsu 50 inch plasma monitor fine. Unfortunately the 3 unit LNB had numerous problems, so I recently upgraded to a 5 LNB unit. I have a Direct TV HD20 DVR. The Gefen unit refuses to pass the signal from this unit to the TV. I have a Rotel audio visual preamp, that does not switch HDMI. Currently I'm using the Marantz HDMI output to the monitor, and Component connections for the HD 20. Audio from both units is digital to the Rotel.

Does anyone know for sure if there is a switcher that will pass an HDMI signal from an HD20? In particular do the new line of Gefen switchers work?

I see more of these issues as we bust the codes. I think we need a federal law to outlaw these copy protection schemes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis