Cable Box HDMI May Not Talk to Receivers

Celing21

Audiophyte
Optical Audio Cable workaround

Hi Folks,

Let me start by saying I am relatively new to the world of home theater, but my father and law and I were both experiencing the same issue with our Comcast STB's. He is using the Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver with a Samsung DLP, while I have the Denon 2807 and Samsung plasma.

The best workaround I have come across yet is using an optical cable to connect the audio from the comcast STB to the receiver, and just connecting the STB direct to the TV via HDMI. This way, we get the pure digital video we want from HDMI, and also can use our 5.1 surround system for cable broadcasts.

We have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV, so our receiver is also connected to the TV via HDMI. If you don't have 2 inputs, you could simply switch the HDMI cables on the rear of the TV, plugging the receiver into the TV when you want to watch a DVD.

While it seems like a great solution if you have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV, as no cable switching is required, it at least allows you have complete Dolby digital surround from your TV broadcasts as well as from the DVD player.

We tried it last night, and it worked well. The only thing we noticed was that 2 times the audio dropped out for about a second, then came back. We didn't get a high quality Optical cable, b/c we weren't sure it would work... any other ideas why the audio might have dropped out? I also had all speakers set to full bandwidth as I didn't want to take the time to configure them before the show began.

Hope this helps someone, and let me know if you have any ideas about the audio loss.

Regards,

E.

W

Wryker

Audiophyte
New to the party

Ok - I've owned my Denon AVR-987 (same as the 2807) for several months and 'freaked' when my Moto box from Comcast gave me the hideous repeater error. Luckily my TV has dual HDMI input but I'd rather run everything through my Receiver. I"m in Nashville, TN and I've read all the posts and no ones from my area but it appears I need Comcast to zap me w/ the V12.35 update. How can I quickly tell what version my box is currently running?

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Wryker said:
Ok - I've owned my Denon AVR-987 (same as the 2807) for several months and 'freaked' when my Moto box from Comcast gave me the hideous repeater error. Luckily my TV has dual HDMI input but I'd rather run everything through my Receiver. I"m in Nashville, TN and I've read all the posts and no ones from my area but it appears I need Comcast to zap me w/ the V12.35 update. How can I quickly tell what version my box is currently running?
Welcome to the club!! See these posts --

To check your current firmvare version --
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8270519&&#post8270519

You can't just ask for V12.35. It must be pushed out via the head end on their schedule.:mad:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8278083&&#post8278083

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Denon 3806 works with the SA8300HD-TWC, SoCal

FYI-My Denon 3806 receiver successfully passes the HDMI signal from my SA Explorer 8300HD DVR STB to my Panny 50" plasma and switches between the SA and my Denon 3910 DVD player. It is sensitive to turn-on sequence when using the SA but has been working for several weeks now. I have had the SA and the Denon for awhile but had been running the SA directly to the Panny-now I can finally see the OSD.

W

Wryker

Audiophyte
Wahoo!

skipsterut said:
Welcome to the club!! See these posts --

To check your current firmvare version --
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8270519&&#post8270519

You can't just ask for V12.35. It must be pushed out via the head end on their schedule.:mad:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8278083&&#post8278083
Well Comcast updated my firmware about 2 weeks ago and it's 16.X and after I called their tech-line they told me this version solves the HDCP problem...
giddie-up!

P

PH0ENIX

Audiophyte
Cox 8300HD now working in Phoenix

Hi people, I searched and found this thread several weeks ago after running into problems using my Denon 2807 to switch HDMI sources for my Pioneer plasma TV which only has one HMDI input. I was getting an "HDMI port blocked" message on the TV when routed through the Denon receiver.

I contacted Cox and Scientific Atlanta regarding this issue, and was told that Cox had to specifically request the fix in a specially written future update for Cox's head end equipment. Cox advised that I use the component cables as a workaround, but I had some problems with the RCA connectors on my TV.

Well earlier this week Cox emailed me to let me know that the latest update from SA was received and sent to their customers, and that I should be able to use the HDMI port. Lo and behold, my HDMI works through my Denon now!

I am happy as a clam. Thanks for making this info available. :)

Last edited:
I

Immortalus

Audiophyte
I just used the "talk to comcast online" feature and they said they cannot upgrade the Firmware on my Motorola DCT6412 III.

Instead, they said I may bring my current cablebox in and swap it for free with a newer box with better HDMI functionality.

I'd prefer not to since I have a ton of stuff saved on the DVR and they state they cannot transfer it.

Any suggestions?

P

PH0ENIX

Audiophyte
Immortalus said:
I just used the "talk to comcast online" feature and they said they cannot upgrade the Firmware on my Motorola DCT6412 III.

Instead, they said I may bring my current cablebox in and swap it for free with a newer box with better HDMI functionality.

I'd prefer not to since I have a ton of stuff saved on the DVR and they state they cannot transfer it.

Any suggestions?
Burn it to DVD.

H

Havelcek

Audiophyte
Cablevision update?

I'm about to build out an HDMI-based HT setup and I have an SA8300HD from Cablevision in NJ. Anyone know if they have sorted out this issue yet?

Thanks!

A

audioclepto1118

Audiophyte
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 8300 HD USERS. HDMI users,this worked for me,go to the setup menu of your cablebox and scroll to audio settings,instead of dolby digital select OTHER,this will pass audio.As for the video try turning the power OFF and the press and hold GUIDE and INFO simultaneously.Once in the hidden menu,follow the A B prompts and select only the 720 P format.Once you have turned the cable box back on press settings twice and go to PICTURE FORMAT and select UPCONVERT-1 OR UPCONVERT-2

Alabama

Audiophyte
First – my system:
Sony KDL-46XBR3 LCD Monitor
Denon AVR-987 A/V Receiver
Sony DVD player with HDMI output
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD STB

I spent a couple of hours on the phone (not an exaggeration) with a Time-Warner support supervisor regarding the HDMI issue. He was completely unaware the problem existed but quickly came to the conclusion that it was a cable box problem. He did what any of us would do – he surfed around on the net long enough to find this was a recurring theme and not some idiot from Alabama who probably doesn’t know HDMI from HD-DVD.

He called me back and told me there would be no fix coming in the short-term from TWC. The support group doesn’t even have the necessary equipment to recreate the problem and therefore wouldn’t offer TWC’s official support of the HDMI port. Apologetically, he told me I was out of luck.

My best compromise has been to run component video / fiber audio from the SA 8300HD and HDMI from the DVD player to the Denon AVR-987. Out of the Denon it’s just one HDMI cable to the Sony monitor. It’s not a bad setup, but not the best.

If anyone knows anything else, I’d love to hear about it.

J

Joe Foe

Audiophyte
To the ones in the Albany NY area or others that want to try to show TW
we have this problem. Please fill out your info on this website to
possibly start a paper trail we can all follow with the way they
document all correspondence with a tracking #'s. I have one started
under # 10432.
https://help.twalbany.com/

J

Joe Foe

Audiophyte
If yo feel motivated and want to try to cover more possible ways with TW and do what I have done. Please go to this link http://www.timewarnercable.com/Localization/Corporate.ashx and enter your zip code and other area's other Time Warner Cable divisions available to know this is a problem and maybe some one of them will go the extra mile and help get it fixed..

Alabama

Audiophyte
Woo hoo!!

Attention Time-Warner Cable subscribers:

Success!!!:D :D :D

Reference my post from a couple of weeks ago. The TWC service guy called me back. I never dreamed he would actually follow up with me but here it is...

He upgraded my firmware as detailed below and viola!! I now have HDMI from the SA 8300HD into the AVR-987 and HDMI out to the monitor. Woo hoo!! Below I’ve listed the firmware version which works and how to check yours…

To access the system menus:
Turn the SA 8300HD STB off
Press the SELECT button for 2-3 seconds until a letter icon appears
Press the INFO button to enter system menu (35 pages)
Go to Page 3 of 35 by pressing the VOL+ button twice
Correct Firmware version:
PTV OS: OS. Home Server Edition 1.8
FLASH: 1.88.22.1
App(s): SARA v1.88.22.1

H

hd4me

Audiophyte
Frustrated!

Hey everyone. I have been in a fist fight with the SA 8300 on and off for almost three years now. It started in Harrisonburg VA with Adelphia. I bought an HDMI switcher from Gefen because I haven't upgraded my receiver yet, and I have a Samsung up-conversion dvd player with an HDMI output, making two total, (My TV only has one input). Initially the SA 8300 and my DVD player work perfectly in tandem with each other, however, the same error message appears eventually, causing BOTH HDMI devices to not work. I went through 3 different boxes before the problem stopped coming up (luckily the local Adelphia building was just down the street). I've now moved to Great Falls VA and have service with Cox with the same results. I have had the service for 6 days, and it all worked seamlessly until day 5. I have read all the posts and am still confused about the best way to go foward. Is there a better way than trial and error with the cable boxes? How do I find out if they have a new firmware upgrade in my area and if they do, how do I get it? The people I talk to on the phone are all dummies who are more interested when they leave work than helping me. Any suggestions are welcome!

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
COX in N.Virginia officialy ignores HDMI output from SA 8300HD

hd4me said:
I've now moved to Great Falls VA and have service with Cox with the same results. I have had the service for 6 days, and it all worked seamlessly until day 5. I have read all the posts and am still confused about the best way to go foward. Is there a better way than trial and error with the cable boxes? How do I find out if they have a new firmware upgrade in my area and if they do, how do I get it? The people I talk to on the phone are all dummies who are more interested when they leave work than helping me. Any suggestions are welcome!
There's no other good suggestion here, my friend, but to drink couple of shots of cold vodka, forget these bastards from COX and become "comfortable numb" (Pink Floyd) :eek:
Like you, I am also a customer of Cox N.Virginia, they are giving us the SA 8300HD boxes, and later acknowledge that they OFFICIALLY DON'T SUPPORT the HDMI output from this box !!! Well, how stupid is that :confused:
Any question related to HDMI which I posted with them comes with the same standard, ignoring answer: they don't support HDMI :mad:
And that - of couse - includes the questions about any possible frimware updates for that STB. Amazingly enough, COX in other parts of the country not only acknowledges the HDMI, but also updates their equipment with the firmware (like the guy from Phoenix reported), to fight the common HDCP hand-shake problem, described so many times in this thread.

I just purchased HDMI-switching Denon 4306, tonight will hook up SA 8300HD with it through HDMI, but I have very little hope that it will work.
BTW, 8300 works with no problem when hooked directly to my PIO plasma through HDMI.
In any case, my POlish vodka is already in the freezer :p

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Still hopeless for Cox N.Viginia customers ...

... and their tech support just helpless. This is funny, in one of the country's most sophisticated and high-tech-oriented customers' population, the cable/HD provider plays dumb with them day in and day out :mad:

WeAreSurrounded said:
I just purchased HDMI-switching Denon 4306, tonight will hook up SA 8300HD with it through HDMI, but I have very little hope that it will work.
Of course it did not work, did I (naively) expect some miracles in the nation capital suburbs ?

T

tjlmbklr

Junior Audioholic
I have sitting in a box unopened............

.....a Yamaha RX V2600. I have a Directv HD DVR. Will I have an issue with this Yamaha? Should I send it back and buy something different, like the Denon AVR-2807 (which irronically was my first chioce)?

J

Joe Foe

Audiophyte
If you want to force the 8300 to down load the latest firmware available in your area.
1) Unplug it
2) Plug it back in
3) Press (select and power) buttons at the same time
4) DO NOT touch the box or remote till it reboots and shows the proper time (may take a while so let it do it's thing)
Unit will flash a bunch of numbers in display and basically make sure you have the latest firmware available in your area and reboot and have a blank display for a while and then show the proper time when it's ready to be used.

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
tjlmbklr said:
.....a Yamaha RX V2600. I have a Directv HD DVR. Will I have an issue with this Yamaha? Should I send it back and buy something different, like the Denon AVR-2807 (which irronically was my first chioce)?
If you had read this thread thoroughfully, you would deduct that the receivers ARE NOT a problem here, it's the STB boxes (their firmware, to be exact)...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis