Cable Box HDMI May Not Talk to Receivers

M

maphiker

Enthusiast
Great News!

I just had my new dish network system installed. I have the new VIP622 DVR. Guess what? HDMI switching works!:D

I had been struggling with the SA8300HD, to no avail. So I decided to try satellite TV. It's cheaper than cable too.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Moto firmware version 12.31 doesn't fix it

Just a quick update. This may have already been reported here, so sorry if this is "old news."

I read in annother thread on this topic that Moto 6412 firmware v12.31 "might" fix the HDMI/HDCP cable box <->repeater problem.

It doesn't.:mad:

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
I have Charter cable with the MOXI DVR. I had it in my bedroom connected via DVI-D to my Samsung LCD which everything worked fine. The bought the new Westinghouse 42 LCD and moved the MOXI to my Family Room connected DVI-D as well, but now the Charter Channel Guide does not work. I contacted Charter a couple times and they reset the box to no avail. The only thing I have done differently is use DVI Gears SHR DVI cable instead of Blue Jeans. Im going to switch them and see if that could be the problem.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Rex said:
I have Charter cable with the MOXI DVR. I had it in my bedroom connected via DVI-D to my Samsung LCD which everything worked fine. The bought the new Westinghouse 42 LCD and moved the MOXI to my Family Room connected DVI-D as well, but now the Charter Channel Guide does not work. I contacted Charter a couple times and they reset the box to no avail. The only thing I have done differently is use DVI Gears SHR DVI cable instead of Blue Jeans. Im going to switch them and see if that could be the problem.
You also have a new display which may having handshake issue with the DVR. Please let us know if it is the cable.

E

edcokpareke

Audiophyte
Video in P.I.P window.

I have some interesting info to add. My cable installer and I found today that if you connect the SA 8300HD box via HDMI through a Yamaha receiver to a TV, while there is no picture, there is sound. **Also**...if you hit the P.I.P. feature on the box, the small P.I.P. window opens and the picture there is fine.

So for some reason, the box CAN send video AND sound through a receiver to a TV with picture and sound...except it has to be the small P.I.P. window showing the picture. Weird.

M

maphiker

Enthusiast
edcokpareke said:
I have some interesting info to add. My cable installer and I found today that if you connect the SA 8300HD box via HDMI through a Yamaha receiver to a TV, while there is no picture, there is sound. **Also**...if you hit the P.I.P. feature on the box, the small P.I.P. window opens and the picture there is fine.

So for some reason, the box CAN send video AND sound through a receiver to a TV with picture and sound...except it has to be the small P.I.P. window showing the picture. Weird.
Is the sound 5.1 DD? I have the Dish Network Vip622 satellite receiver. I can get sound and video via HDMI through a Denon receiver to a TV. Oddly, though it only sends stereo sound. In order to get 5.1 DD I have to use the optical audio out on the Vip622. Dish network has confirmed that this is a normal situation for the VIP622.:(

Last edited:
E

edcokpareke

Audiophyte
Problem Solved!!!

My 8300HD now works with my Yamaha receiver (HDMI)!!

So after numerous calls to my local Cable company (Knology), I finally found a customer service rep. willing to listen to my problem. She gave me the e-mail address of a "higher-up" who could help. He is Knology's tech manager or programming director or something like that. I e-mailed him, and the next day (today) he called. We discussed the issue and he asked me to call him while I was by the box. He took down my box's MAC address and in seconds began sending the new SA code. The box turned itself off and began displaying different characters for like 20 minutes. Afterwards, he asked me to power on and, voila!! Picture AND DD5.1 sound from the box THROUGH THE YAMAHA to the TV via HDMI.

It turns out SA sends a lot of codes to service techs to test. He mentioned that he sent me some code that he had "played with" a while back, but that it hadn't been released to the public. He finally asked me to run it for a few days and call him back with feedback...and not to give his number to anyone (lol). Anyways, bug your cable companies. The new codes are sitting somewhere on someone's desk.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mindaika

Enthusiast
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD & Time Warner

Does anyone know if Time Warner NYC has bothered themselves to update the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD's to address this problem? As I understand from the thread, there is a firmware patch to fix the problem, but TWC is just too lazy to install it...

Bahram

Audiophyte
Please let me know if get that solution code. i have the same problem with Samsung HD-TQ85 Home Theater and 8300.

Himey

Audiophyte
12.35 confirmed

Great News:

HDMI now works on Motorola 6412 III DVR boxes passing through my HDMI receiver. Adelphia in Ohio just updated my firmware to version 12.35. I tested and double tested. No more green screen or error messages.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Looks like Comcast will be slow to deliver V12.35

Ever since I ran into this HDMI/HDCP problem a several months ago I have been exchanging e-mails with a Comcast engineer, so I shot him an e-mail on Monday asking when the update will be deployed for V12.35. I just heard from him that the next firmware upgrade is scheduled for late Sept or Oct timeframe :mad: :mad:
Skip,

Looks like our next firmware update / deployment will be a late September – October timeframe.

Perhaps this will be an HDMI fix.

Thanks again for your patience.
I don't know if this is just for our headend (Northern Utah) or Comcast in general. I'll try to find out.

Anyway .... it looks like Adelphia Ohio as reported by Himey is leading the pack --and we're stuck with a slow moving head end organization here in Utah if not Comcast nationwide. Congrats to those fortunate enough to get V12.35 so far.

Any further testing of HDMI switched through an AVR and confirmation of Himey's results from other forum members who are fortunate enough to get V12.35 would be most appreciated.

E

edcokpareke

Audiophyte
I use the Scientific Atlanta unit, so I'm sure my codes are different. But here's a tip on how to get new codes. After I bugged the Cable company's tech support enough to get them to capitulate, I told the tech manager that I was willing to be a guinea pig for whatever trial code he had. Someone somewhere in that office has your code, and you could explain to them that you've spent a lot on your "digital" equipment to use analog cables. Acknowledge that you're just one customer out of many thousands, but that HDMI is the future, so they might as well get it right now.

Partly because of my successful one week trial of Knology's new SA 8300HD code, the tech manager has agreed to send it out to all customers next week.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input.

I have already offered to be a beta tester for this new version, but haven't heard back from Comcast yet. I'm leaving on vacation now and then business travel until next Friday, but I'll bug them again if I haven't heard by then. I'll let the group know if I'm successful in getting a beta version to try out.

BTW -- Congrats on being successful getting V12.35 dieployed early in your area. Nice work!:D

G

guppies

Audiophyte
Orlando Brighthouse SA 8300

We have the SA 8300 HDMI/HDCP issue with our HK 745. Tried and tried to get BH to look for their codes. These people are clueless and can only read their manuals. :confused: Even after contacting the SA techs (who were much more knowledgeable and readily admitted to the issue and their work to resolve), gave us the firmware update codes we needed, BH still told us the problem didn't exist but they would send a tech out. When the tech arrived, he was overwhelmed with the system and eagerly began asking questions how the iPod brdige worked, how the 400 DVD player (with HDMI) worked, etc. Naturally, he had nothing to offer regarding the 8300 not working (so we educated him as well).

Consequently, the issue is not covered in their manuals, so it doesn't exist. We have resorted to Component hookup to the HK and now are questioning BH why they should be charging us for the SA 8300 since it does not operate the way it should. They are more open to not charging than resolving the issue. If they don't we are going to keep calling BH and have them send techs out to "fix" the problem that doesn't exist. One way or the other, they are either going to d/l the codes or pay the consequences.

BTW, we have a second SA 8300 in the bedroom hooked directly to the plasma that works great.

L8R

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
Has anyone had any luck with Comcast on this

I justed hooked up my DCT3412 and I get the green screen running HDMI from the cable box to my receiver and then out to my projector. It works fine if I take the receiver out of the loop.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
SMM said:
I justed hooked up my DCT3412 and I get the green screen running HDMI from the cable box to my receiver and then out to my projector. It works fine if I take the receiver out of the loop.
There have been reports of firmware v12.35 fixing this (see post #30 in this thead). But you'll have to wait for your local Comcast headend to roll it out.

See these posts/threads for more ---
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8270519&&#post8270519

garykagan at avsforum.com has had some success by playing with some settings. See this post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8265729&&#post8265729

A

ahpeterson

Audiophyte
Seattle Area 12.35 Deployed

skipsterut said:
There have been reports of firmware v12.35 fixing this (see post #30 in this thead). But you'll have to wait for your local Comcast headend to roll it out.

See these posts/threads for more ---
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8270519&&#post8270519

garykagan at avsforum.com has had some success by playing with some settings. See this post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8265729&&#post8265729
I'm on Comcast in Lake Forest Park, WA (suburb of Seattle) and I have 12.35 deployed, which fixes the HDCP repeater problem for me. I do note, however, that if I use it in HDMI mode when I turn off my receiver and then turn it back on, the video does not stay on (I have to turn the DVR off and on for it to work again). If I use it in DVI mode I do not have this problem (then I need to use an optical audio cable for sound). Not ideal, but much better than not having any digital video at all.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
ahpeterson said:
I'm on Comcast in Lake Forest Park, WA (suburb of Seattle) and I have 12.35 deployed, which fixes the HDCP repeater problem for me. I do note, however, that if I use it in HDMI mode when I turn off my receiver and then turn it back on, the video does not stay on (I have to turn the DVR off and on for it to work again). If I use it in DVI mode I do not have this problem (then I need to use an optical audio cable for sound). Not ideal, but much better than not having any digital video at all.
That's great news! Thanks for letting us know. Slowly:mad: but surely:confused: it appears that V12.35 is being deployed by the various cableco head ends.

Bummer about the inconsistent on/off behavior in HDMI and DVI modes. Typical Moto/Comcast bugs. :mad: Their QA/QC needs much improvement. But as you say -- at least it's all digital video now -- at least for those with 12.35 -- I'm still waiting.....:(

bigbrain28

Audiophyte
Working Here...

Just wanted to report that my SA 8300 is passing thru my Yamaha RX-V2600 perfectly. I have not looked at the firmware build yet on the dvr, but I will do so and report back. The unit came from Brighthouse in Land O' Lakes, Florida. I have experienced no abnormal or contradictory results when using it in this manner (1080i passthru>2600>Sony SXRD)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis