Bypassing receiver crossover?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Hi. For my computer speakers, I'm using an old yamaha rx-v795 avr and a pair of energy rc-10s along with an orb audio super eight subwoofer.

My question is this: my receiver has a fixed crossover of 90hz, so should I bypass that and wire through the subwoofer and use the sub's crossover instead? I'm not sure what I'd set it to, though...maybe 70 or 80hz, not that I know how much difference that would make, if any. I know I could just try it without asking, but before I waste time (i'm lazy) cutting wire and putting on banana plugs, I figured I'd ask yall to see if it was worth it :D

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can't set it with the subwoofer. The adjustable x-over only applies to the signal being sent to the sub. The x-over to the speakers is fixed, so unless it is lower than the 90Hz of the receiver, it may actually be worse or no difference.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If I wire speaker cable from the avr to the subwoofer and from the sub to the speakers, shouldn't that be sending the subwoofer everything, making the crossover on the subwoofer be the one doing the work?

Here's a pic of the back of the sub (not mine, since I'm at work):

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the sub's x-over is working, but what I am saying is it only works for the sub itself not the output to the speakers. Check the manual for the sub it most likely has the x-over listed.

Since it is Orb, my guess is the x-over is higher than average. I just looked at the manual and it doesn't list the x-over.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
From what I am reading, what I said should work:
1. Connect wire from receiver to subwoofer connections marked "HI LEVEL IN"
2. Connect wire from subwoofer to speakers from connections marked "HI LEVEL OUT"
3. Enable subwoofer crossover
4. Set speaker size to "large" in receiver
5. the end

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it will work, it just won't adjust the x-over to the main speakers from the sub. Give it a shot and let us know.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I just hooked it up and it does appear to be working properly. The subwoofer's crossover ranges from 40hz-180hz, and I'm guessing I've got it somewhere around 75hz. I'm can't really tell any difference to how it was before, though :/

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Not to hijack, but I've always wondered how this worked, and thought it worked as phillip said. J Garcia, would you care to explain how else you would utilize the in/outs on a sub like that? I always thought that was the only way to utilize a sub's xover.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis