Buzzing Noise With Phono Channel/Record Player

N

N.Cotman

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone,

I have tried two different record players and had the same result where there is a loud buzzing/humming noise once the I increase volume past about 25-30%. The one record player is grounded and one is not. I have it set right on my receiver. The speakers are not facing it. I have shielded it from vibration with padded feet. Could it be too close to the receiver? The speakers vibrate, almost violently, and the sound warbles, when the volume is turned up.

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated! Thanks guys. Cheers,

Nick

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Important question: is the "buzzing" there when you use headphones?

The speakers vibrate, almost violently, and the sound warbles, when the volume is turned up.
It sounds to me that what you're describing is acoustic feedback rather than electrical "buzzing". If so, you're gonna have to put more space between the speakers and the turntable and physically isolate them better.

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
Risking a reply without enough information, it sounds like acoustic feedback. Padding the feet or other mechanical measures will not eliminate 'direct' (acoustic) coupling through the air. The equipment might also be on a room node for a particular (low) frequency. Your phono stage/circuit might be one of those without the necessary attenuation below some 35 Hz. If you tap the record player softly with a finger, is there a thud over the loudspeaker?

The remedy? Too little is known of your set-up to venture any ideas.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis