J

jawhn

Audiophyte
I have Time Warner Cable HD (for about 2 years now with no problem). Recently I am hearing a buzzing/ringing in my surround speakers (like a cracked tweeter) on CBS. I hear it MOSTLY when there is significant surround activity or music on shows like CSI or NCIS. It is not present on any other channels or on other audio or video sources.

Speakers are fine
DSP is turned OFF
I've checked with the local station
I've checked with the local forums (no one is having this problem)

Anyone have any idea what might be causing it? It's VERY annoying!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have Time Warner Cable HD (for about 2 years now with no problem). Recently I am hearing a buzzing/ringing in my surround speakers (like a cracked tweeter) on CBS. I hear it MOSTLY when there is significant surround activity or music on shows like CSI or NCIS. It is not present on any other channels or on other audio or video sources.

Speakers are fine
DSP is turned OFF

Do you hear this buzz when there is no program running, or just on program?

If the latter your speakers are almost certainly not fine, but probably blown.

In which case test them on the front channels.

J

jawhn

Audiophyte
Do you hear this buzz when there is no program running, or just on program?

If the latter your speakers are almost certainly not fine, but probably blown.

In which case test them on the front channels.
Thanks for the response.

Just on program. I've tried hooking them to front channel, they sound fine.

I can play can play 5.1 or 7.1 from ANY other source (DVD, Blu-ray,SACD, even another channel on the cable box, and it sounds GREAT. ONLY CBS has the problem.:confused:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the response.

Just on program. I've tried hooking them to front channel, they sound fine.

I can play can play 5.1 or 7.1 from ANY other source (DVD, Blu-ray,SACD, even another channel on the cable box, and it sounds GREAT. ONLY CBS has the problem.:confused:
Then CBS must have a problem in your region.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Speakers are fine
DSP is turned OFF

When you say you checked with local forums, do you know if those responders are in close proximity to your home? Or, nearby towns, etc?

I ask because you could have a cable repeater amp that feeds your home and others on that branch has issues to one channel only. I had that happen to me a number of years ago where the right channel of one station only was way off compared to the left. A cable service person had to come out and verify it and took a few month to rectify as the company had to get a new line amp. And, I was told nbo one else reported the problem. How interesting:rolleyes:

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll add that when I watched NCIS and CSI this week I felt that the sound was harsh as if it were going into hard clipping. This might have something to do with your issue.

J

jawhn

Audiophyte
When you say you checked with local forums, do you know if those responders are in close proximity to your home? Or, nearby towns, etc?

The responders were about 60 miles away. Hadn't thought of a very LOCAL problem.

I'll give the cable company a call.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis